WAG the difference between level 10 and elite

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Elite sets a standard but if a country sends a bunch of "level 4s" to worlds, The FIG judges them just like any other team even though they are nowhere near the standard. There's a huge range in the level of international elites. Sometimes you'll see US level 10s get to compete as Elites at Worlds because they have dual citizenship with another country.

We really saw the truth of this at the Pan Am trials last summer. There were girls from some of the smaller countries competing with routines looking in the level 8 range. The girls were saying, "if we were from xxx country we could be competing here."

I explained, yes, but they are not age 12-13 at this level, the coaching and facilities they have get them to this level at 16-18. And they have no chance to win. It's all perspective.

too long to go in to. suffice, the artistry is dead gone...trick>trick>trick and look at how many athletes there are at this level worldwide including here in the USA...broke>broke>broke.

Bruno is the Hannibel Lecter of gymnastics. he eats athletes alive. men and women alike.

on a positive note...he doesn't discriminate. :)

oh...and you have to have a PhD to decipher the code. and two PhD's too Judge. regretfully, those degrees don't exist yet.

oh...and he's cut another placement from the Olympic Teams. now we will be down to 4 Olympic Team Members. this takes place after 2016.

Simplified, in a nutshell, the main difference between level 10 and elite today is the sheer number of difficult skills you will see performed in a routine. The top level 10's can perform elite level skills, but don't need to throw as many to score well. An elite beam routine might have a front aerial, side aerial, front tuck, layout step out and a back tuck full(as dunno said - trick,trick,trick). A level 10 could do well with only 2 or 3 of those skills. Same with bars, an elite routine might have 4 or 5 release moves while a level 10 routine might have 2 or 3. As you can imagine, elites must train more hours and take more pounding on their bodies to train and master all of these skills.

oh...and he's cut another placement from the Olympic Teams. now we will be down to 4 Olympic Team Members. this takes place after 2016.
That's ridiculous! Bring back 7 girls, and the artistry.....and the old code, with the compulsory routines too. It may have been boring to some to watch those compulsory routines, but they started everyone on even playing field

Yep! The odds of making the USA Olympic team for 2020 and beyond are too small to calculate.

They are taking the glory out of the Olympics by trying to include everyone.

Seems like they are including fewer and fewer :(

WHAT?!?! Only 4?? This makes NO sense! How sad! :(
Reducing the number of gymnasts deemphasizes team depth. It is easier to have the top 2 gymnast team in the world than it is to have the top 10 gymnast team in the world. In other words, it makes it possible for a greater number of countries to compete. The downside is that it emphasizes truly exceptional individuals.

It's a trade-off that has to be balance - reducing the number opens it to more countries, but makes the competition more susceptible to being dominated by a team with an unbelievable gymnast.

Very disappointed, just because a few countries don't have depth they have to change? They are ruining the whole team concept. Will they start telling basketball that they have too many and it's not fair to countries with little talent therefore we are reducing the number on a team or soccer....soccer will now only be played as 3-on-3? I would say absolutely not....but trending says sure. All sports will end up as a 3 man team eventually....so we can all be fair

Well at the rate they are going, by 2024 gymnastics will be just like ice skating.

I find it hard to see how this will make much of a difference. If someone wanted to, that person could run some numbers comparing Olympic medals to medals at Worlds. My sense is that with the limit of five at the Olympics versus a larger Worlds team, you don't see a significant increase in the spread of medals across nationalities at Worlds versus the Olympics. The countries with more resources to put into gymnastics will continue to do so, and will continue to have stronger teams. The two-per-country rule, while I know it is hated, did improve the spread of medals across nationalities. I don't think going from 5 to 4 will have any effect except perhaps to increase pressure and therefore injuries among the elite of the elite.

I find it hard to see how this will make much of a difference. If someone wanted to, that person could run some numbers comparing Olympic medals to medals at Worlds. My sense is that with the limit of five at the Olympics versus a larger Worlds team, you don't see a significant increase in the spread of medals across nationalities at Worlds versus the Olympics. The countries with more resources to put into gymnastics will continue to do so, and will continue to have stronger teams. The two-per-country rule, while I know it is hated, did improve the spread of medals across nationalities. I don't think going from 5 to 4 will have any effect except perhaps to increase pressure and therefore injuries among the elite of the elite.

It's interesting that the goal is to spread the medals around rather than award the best gymnasts. Pretty sad!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back