Parents This weekend is DD's states, I need some suggestions....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter is a L4 and will be competing in her 1st state meet. She has been in great spirits until today....she had a horrible practice. Her HC tried to cheer her up and tell her that a bad practice makes for a good meet. My DD is 8 and I don't think she can see past the simple fact that she didn't perform well today. To make matters worse she has suffered her first ever tear while on the bars today:(

So my questions are how would you suggest I give her motivation tomorrow while driving the 4 1/2 hours to the meet or Saturday morning before the meet? Should I say nothing, should I just tell her to do her best?

And my next question is what do I do to help heal this tear up a little in 24 hours. She competes Saturday early morning. Her HC for the bars said to trim the dead skin (which we did) and to put balmex on it. Any other ideas?

Thank you guys so much for any insight. I think I am more nervous then her, thank goodness I am good at hiding my nervousness:)

Having a hard practice is tough mentally. I would just tell her to do her best and forget that practice, that everyone has bad practices. This is one of those things that all gymnasts go through and must learn. To let go and move on. Just like if they have a bad event. It is hard and of course, takes time.

As to her rip. I have started putting NuSkin on my DDs rips for practice. It burns a little, but if it isn't a fresh rip (which it won't be by her meet!), get the liquid NuSkin with the brush. Brush a thin layer and put about 5-6 more layers on, letting them dry in between. :)

Good luck to her! Tell her to just do her best and have fun at her first State meet!!

Yes, a bad practice often translates to a great meet. My daughter at level 8 state did not stick ONE thing in beam warm-up, then went out and scored her best beam ever! In Level 9, same thing at REgionals, then placed 2nd. This year at level 9 state, she had a great beam warm-up and fell on her series. At regionals, could not stick in warm-up and then scored a 9.275 and placed 4th. Tell her this story, tell her you know she is good and will do great, and then don't talk any more about it except a hug and good luck right before the meet. These are the things I've learned over the years. Have fun! Keep us posted.

We swear by bag balm on the rip with socks over it at night. It really does wonders. My older DD is notorious for getting rips right before meets and also for having bad practices right before meets!!!

I would just remind her that she has worked on her skills for many months and that the practice was only one day and she has had MANY great days. State meet is just a meet, like any other meet, and she should know that there really shouldn't be any additonal pressure on her. Just tell her to do her best like she does at any other meet!

Give her some hugs, tell her you love her and go have a blast. At this point there is really nothing magical you can say.
As for the rip, we swear by Prep H--put some on, sock on the hand overnight and usually much better the next day.

I wish I could give you some great advice. My DD has been going through about 2 weeks of rough practices with L5 state tomorrow. I've told her she needs to focus on what she's done all season and believe in herself. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how far logical and rational advice goes with a 10 year old. ;) Best of luck to you and your DD!

Are there any older gymnasts that she looks up to? When my daughter was struggling with the FHC, I asked one of the older gymnasts if she would give her some encouragement and that really seemed to help. Mainly because sometimes hearing it from mom does not have the same effect. :) I now just stick with hugs and good luck wishes. Good luck to your daughter!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back