"Tight Back"?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I

Izzie

Last night at gym, one of my coaches told me I seem to have a "tight back" while doing back limber kickovers (for me, heavily spotted because I can't do a back bend for anything).
What is this supposed to mean?! Any thing I can do at home to help my "tight back"?

Your coach probably means you are not too flexible in your back.

You could stretch your back to increase flexibility. Try short bridge position..when youo push up to bridge and try and walk your ankles in as close as possible to your hands. Keep your ankles on ground and your legs can come apart as this is a back stretch.

Your coach probably means you are not too flexible in your back.

You could stretch your back to increase flexibility. Try short bridge position..when youo push up to bridge and try and walk your ankles in as close as possible to your hands. Keep your ankles on ground and your legs can come apart as this is a back stretch.

Oh, thanks!
I try to practice bridges, and walking in, but it's /really/ hard for me to stay in a bridge more then a second or two due to my wrist that I strained/fractured a few months ago still giving me a lot of problems...
I'll keep trying :3

Hmmm. Sorry about your wrist pain.

This next suggestion should not be done without a coach helping. Maybe your coach could do this the next time you train.

Bridges on someone's ankles. You simply push up into bridge while holding around the ankles of your coach.
It would not hurt your wrist as much because you would be grasping around the ankles. Same rules with your legs, they can be apart and bent. The person stretching you should then pull your back gently closed to their knees. My kids LOVE this and say it makes their back feel amazing.

I am not great at bridge either, and I also have stiff shoulders and wrists, which does not help! I have been practising back bends at the gym by walking my hands down the wall ladder. At home it is a little more difficult, you can lie back over a Swiss ball, also there are some back-bending yoga poses such as cobra, upward-facing dog and camel pose.

Big thanks to both of you! I'll try the ankle bridge next time I get to gym, it could be fun :p
What is a Swiss ball??

Another thing that helps is walking up and down the wall with your hands to the bridge position.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back