Parents To video or not to video?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Committed

Proud Parent
Which meets do you decide to record? Do you record all of them? First/last? State only? Interchange video and still pics?

DD recently had her practice meet, which I did not record. It was really nice being able just to watch and not concerned about someone walking in my way, keeping the camera straight, or keeping it in focus. I was able just to enjoy the "meet."

With 6-7 meets this season, I'm not sure that I need videos of every single apparatus at every meet. Or do I?

Also- I'm playing with the idea of asking another mom to video DD (and me video hers- if she wants). Has anyone ever done that?

I usually do the first, any meet that dad isn't at, state, and regionals. But sometimes, I do just wnat to watch!

I love the idea of swapping with someone. I keep saying we should do that but it never happens!!

I like to record them all. Unfortunately this takes away from actually getting to enjoy the meet. I have tried to let my wife do it but shes not so steady. Her recordings are like watching a white water rafting video. Recently my older DD has recorded a couple events and liked doing it so maybe I have found a camera woman!

I too have my older DD record them. She's only 11 but she's pretty good with the camera. First one she recorded was a bit shaky but she got better and better. By the time we got to the state meet her videos were great!

DD's first season I just did first and last because I thought it would be interesting to see the difference between those two. But it wasn't very interesting and the next season DD asked me to video them all. So for the past two seasons, I've done them all.

She loves watching them, even the couple of meets at L3. Every year after state, she watches that season and this year, she watched every single one.

Sometimes I miss an event for whatever reason and boy does she get disappointed.

our amazing coaches record every girl, on every event at every meet! At the end of the season, they put your childs entire meet season on a dvd for us! our gym really goes above and beyond when it comes to this! This year we even got a cute blooper video of all the funny mess ups the girls had.

I record all of them because DD likes to see them. Of course, I should say that I try to record all of them because inevitably I will have a battery die, video upside down, get only 1/2 a routine, or some other completely inconceivable error in filming. Yeah ... I probably need privates in videography. :confused:

I record all of them, because grandparents and other relatives are not always able to make it to the meets, but they want to see it. And for myself and DD too, it's nice to see the progression from meet to meet.
Good idea about the older sibling. My 14 yo hates going to the meets with us, but if she has an important job of videotaping, she might enjoy them more. :)

I record all meets, every event for both gymmies. I also take a second "digicam" and have the girls record each other or have my brother record. The more people I have recording it, the better the chance I get a good recording.

It was really nice and i was able to make a compilation for OG... the "Evolution" of her floor routine over the season. She never did the exact same routine twice.

DD is my older sibling...... so that doesn't work for us!!

So, what type of camera are you guys using? I see a lot of iPads out on the floor (which I don't have, just a Kindle Fire). Then I have an actual "nice" camera/video camera combo, with great resolution. However, it tries to auto focus on the wrong thing and seems to have a small pic.

I record them all--even now that she's in HS gymnastics. Just fun to see how she does. Plus I do the video for the team banquet (did for club and now do for HS), so I video everyone (gives me plenty of film to choose from). I tried the swapping videoing once, but don't like how the other mom videoed (didn't tape well on floor, shaky, etc). Too much of a control freak I guess!

I record them all. She likes to watch them later & our family is spread across the country, so I post it on fb for them to see. Also, meets make me very nervous (for her) and it just gives me something to do other than freaking out. Lol

our amazing coaches record every girl, on every event at every meet! At the end of the season, they put your childs entire meet season on a dvd for us! our gym really goes above and beyond when it comes to this! This year we even got a cute blooper video of all the funny mess ups the girls had.

Our gym does something similar, it's not the coaches who video, it's one of the parents! He is a professional photographer so he takes many stills & videos of the girls during the season, then at our banquet at the end he makes little movies for each level! It's great to have and everyone loves it! Love the blooper idea too, I may have to suggest that to him!!

I also tend to either video or take pictures during all the meets because I get pretty nervous and I have to keep myself busy! lol I tend to watch the action through my lens which is good enough for me!! :)

DD is my older sibling...... so that doesn't work for us!!

So, what type of camera are you guys using? I see a lot of iPads out on the floor (which I don't have, just a Kindle Fire). Then I have an actual "nice" camera/video camera combo, with great resolution. However, it tries to auto focus on the wrong thing and seems to have a small pic.
I have a Kodak EasyShare CD82. I also have a Flip camera (that we call the digicam in our house). It is an older model and can only hold about one meet... but since it has the USB built in, I can immediately transfer it when I get home.

We tend to tape every one of my DD's meets unless we forget out cameras. I have put together a couple of "highlight" videos for her and for the meet that our gym hosts (Buckeye Classic in Columbus, OH).

I usually record them (or have older DD12 record them) as my DH usually can't come to meets and gymmie wants daddy to see how she did. :)
Funny, my 12yo is way better at recording than my dh (bless his heart). The few times he has made it and recorded have been.... Well, "artistic", let's leave it at that. ;)

I record all of them. DD likes to watch them afterwards and tells me which ones I can share with others :)

Someone in our family usually records each event. We now also record each of her team mates floor routines due to a team mate not getting credit for a leap she did during the State Meet. No one had video proof :(

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back