too old

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm 14 and I am in level 4/5. If I go to a level 4 competition, will there be anyone in my age group to go against? What about level 5? What level would be suitable for a 14 year old?

Don't worry about how old you are or what level you think you should be in. If you love gymnastics that's all that matters :] I just turned 20 and just started classes last June. Everyone thinks of this sport as only a kid's sport for some reason, but that really isn't true at all. I have a couple 50+ year olds in my adult class and it's amazing what they can do!

You're not too old! The only thing that matters is that you love gymnastics. At meets, you will probably be in a 12+ age division, so you'll be competing against plenty of people. :)

I can't say for sure because I don't know where you're competing (this is an international site and levels are different everywhere) but I'm in Canada and there are loads of girls who are 14 and compete Level 4 or 5. I'm 18 and compete against mostly 14/15/16 year olds in Level 5 if there isn't a Masters category. There are fewer older girls in Level 5 than in Level 4 (usually 7-12 in my category) but I've seen at least 15-20 girls competing in the 14+ Level 4 category. Don't worry about it :) I actually prefer fewer girls because it's more likely you'll place, and it's fun to make friends you'll recognize at future meets.

In terms of what level you should be at, it really doesn't matter :) It all depends on how many hours a week you train, when you started, how motivated you are to progress to higher levels, etc. Remember to be happy about the level of gymnastics you're at already!! Sorry I'm sure that's not super helpful, but there's my two cents.

Check out some gym sites near you and look at their meet reports- look at age brackets. Look the on My Meet Scores site at gyms around you you know you'll be competing against- again sort by age and/or level and see the age brackets. Look at your state site and look at the scores for the state meet- look at the age brackets.

I can say that often in Level 4 around here the age bracket tops out at 12+ but within that "+" is a whole range of ages.

I will say that I was at one of the the Level 5 regional meets for my state this year and there were girls who were most definitley 14+ years of age competing.

If you love and enjoy gymnastics don't let age stand in your way-- compete and have fun!

You are not too old! Not at all! :) There is 80-years-olds gymnast so you have very many years to do gymnastics and compete.

If you think you are ready to compete and you have your skills - go ahead!

There is one awesome over 15-years-old gymnast, Rachel, who's progress you can see in her Youtube channel. I think she started competing when she was like 13. And she was level 4 then. Now she is in level 6 and does awesome work! Clich here to visit her channel.

Hi cazoon,
You are not to old and I am sure you will find people older than you there.
I saw 70+ people doing gymnastics and competing.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back