Parents Trampoline

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We have a trampoline at home and have had one for years, since the year my dd started competing. She is almost 16 now and (as of last summer) still uses it a lot. It's usually just my two girls and occassionally a gymnast friend or my nephew. I had a trampoline growing up, and admit because I'm used to it, I just don't worry too much. The rules have always been clear: don't do anything you can't do safely, and one person doing "tricks" at a time, and last but not least use your head. Kids aren't always great at that, but how do you learn without a little risk? Really, anything can be dangerous and accidents happen...riding bikes, swimming, skiing, horseback riding, driving, using an electric scooter, rock climbing, and gymnastics of course! We've done all of these, and not always under supervision of a coach or professional. We all learn to use caution in many things in our lives. Safety is good, but at a point, you can't live in bubble wrap. My girls have spent an untold number of hours out there. So many good times. Over the years, I have come to trust that she, and her sister (even though she's not a gymnast), know what they can and can't do. Yes, they could get hurt. It's a hazard of being alive.

We didn't originally get the trampoline "for gymnastics"; we got it for fun and fitness. But she's a level 10 now, and she tells me that it has actually helped her a lot with her air awareness. She is one of the few girls at her gym who knows how to control herself on the gym tramp when trying new skills. She says that practicing trampoline moves is way different than floor or beam tumbling, because the bounce and timing are very different, but it doesn't affect her gym skills negatively, because it's a different activity in her mind.

Just sharing our experience. It might not be right for your kid or your family, but there pluses and minuses to everything!

We have a gym at home. Ou DD never wanted a playroom. She only plays in her gym. No barbie,dolls, video games. She is crazy about gymnastics from top to Bottom BUT she only practices non-dangerous skills that her coaches give us pointers. She does a lot of artistics and turns. We have a bar, spring floor, pit, mats, climbing rope, beam well everything a crazy gym enthousiast needs to be happy

View attachment 6531
View attachment 6532

Some of you will judge us...but again NON-dangerous skills only. We, as parents, tought it would be less dangerous to have the right equipment then having her trying different things on the floor, the couch or anywhere.

I love it! My dd would love it! She's the same way, as far as not playing with toys etc, although she does like video games. Gym is all she wants. All she wanted for Christmas was Leo's and gym stuff, esp. a rope!
I know pretty much everyone on here will say no home equip, but we've had a bar and beam since she was 3 and it has not held her back. She's 9, training 7/8 for next year. For the most part she just likes to "play" gymnastics and make up routines at home.

One of DD's former teammates got one for her birthday one year. Their coach was not happy. Within a week, the girl sprained her ankle using it. They sold it within days.

Gymnastics is no different then any other sports or activities. You can sprain an ankle going downstairs. Crash in the board at playing hockey. Fell hard riding a bike. Of course there is a chance to get hurt in any sports you do. I remember when i i asked my mom my first skateboard. We jad no helmet pads or anything to prevent from a hard crash. I can tell you I had many injuries. It never stopped from doing what i love. Inprefer tonteach my daughter to think wisely before attentding sonething stupid or something which she as not acquire skillwise. She got a couple of big falls somfar, even fractured both her bones in the legs at 6. And yes. Doing gymnastics. With a coach and in a secure space. Intold her, it will probably happen again. Maybe more then once. But unfortunately the only thing that mattersis how you face it when you come back. Trampoline is no different Of course anthing can happen. That's true. It's also teue when you cross the street.

Everyone has so many opinions on this one; and everyone is entitled to their opinion and to have whatever they want in their home. For our family, it is quite simple and cut and dry. Not into the tramp. Had too many accidents myself as a kid on one, with spotters even. Just not my thing. To each their own...but not in my backyard. Thanks. And yes, I get that kids can get hurt anywhere doing anything. But I will leave the gym in the gym....she is there enough. I prefer she branches out at home and does other things that can have potential to hurt her, lol....like climb trees, sled, kayak, skate, ski....(yes we can ski basically from outside our front door, haha). I just personally feel she is in the gym enough, I don't need to make her home another gym. I want home to be home. And I want her balanced. Her best buddy has an entire gym in her house...everyone is different. You do what works for your fam.

We have a trampoline at home and have had one for years, since the year my dd started competing. She is almost 16 now and (as of last summer) still uses it a lot. It's usually just my two girls and occassionally a gymnast friend or my nephew. I had a trampoline growing up, and admit because I'm used to it, I just don't worry too much. The rules have always been clear: don't do anything you can't do safely, and one person doing "tricks" at a time, and last but not least use your head. Kids aren't always great at that, but how do you learn without a little risk? Really, anything can be dangerous and accidents happen...riding bikes, swimming, skiing, horseback riding, driving, using an electric scooter, rock climbing, and gymnastics of course! We've done all of these, and not always under supervision of a coach or professional. We all learn to use caution in many things in our lives. Safety is good, but at a point, you can't live in bubble wrap. My girls have spent an untold number of hours out there. So many good times. Over the years, I have come to trust that she, and her sister (even though she's not a gymnast), know what they can and can't do. Yes, they could get hurt. It's a hazard of being alive.

We didn't originally get the trampoline "for gymnastics"; we got it for fun and fitness. But she's a level 10 now, and she tells me that it has actually helped her a lot with her air awareness. She is one of the few girls at her gym who knows how to control herself on the gym tramp when trying new skills. She says that practicing trampoline moves is way different than floor or beam tumbling, because the bounce and timing are very different, but it doesn't affect her gym skills negatively, because it's a different activity in her mind.

Just sharing our experience. It might not be right for your kid or your family, but there pluses and minuses to everything!

Like this 100 times!
We have a tramp at home, got it when the girls were in kindergym/rec. My youngest started playing on it at 15mos... So far no injuries or accidents, even minor.
At our house too the tramp is a totally different activity than gym. There is a bit of minor flipping but nothing they haven't done many times at gym, it's not used to practice new skills.
I grew up with a tramp and no rules on it, and no injuries, so that is partly why I'm more relaxed. Plus, I know my kids, and we have always encouraged them to be self-sufficient and they generally know what they're capable of.
Again, it depends. I have a friend who got a trampoline and her DD broke her elbow the first day. Doing nothing! But I wasn't overly surprised as her kids are not very physically aware.

I just remember when we bought the house we currently in our homeowners insurance did not allow trampolines. Our neighbors across the street had one their kids had outgrown it and offered to give it to us and we turned it down.

My gymnast has spent a lot of time with a friend who has a trampoline. In some ways it did help their air awareness but they also were caught doing some unsafe stuff at times and luckily nobody was hurt.

I don't like trampolines in the backyard. Seen too many America's Funniest Videos to think otherwise.

This.

The same applies to ATVs, dirt bikes, rope swings over bodies of water, hoverboards, anyone over the age of 5 riding in/on Little Tikes brand plastic cars, and playing leapfrog over parking meters.

We have a trampoline (and a beam to0 for that matter). She and her friends love it. They don't do anything crazy on it, but if she is alone she'll do some gymnastics on it (things like tucks or handsprings). We didn't get it to help her gymnastics, but just to have fun. Yes, I know the risks, but they are just pretty common around here and a lot of people have them. It has the safety net and they follow safety rules. She also climbs trees, goes roller skating, goes to trampoline parks, plays on monkey bars, etc. I don't want her getting hurt obviously, but we believe there are risks to everything in life and we want her (and all my kids really) to have fun and enjoy her childhood.

Oh and the only broken bone we've had so far with the kids is when my son broke his elbow at school on, you guessed it, the monkey bars. He wasn't even doing anything crazy. He just dropped from the bars and somehow broke his elbow without even hitting the ground! I still wouldn't stop my dd from playing on the playground though. I just think it's part of life and injuries may or may not happen doing anything.

But I do understand why some people are against them and I might feel differently if I knew someone that had been seriously injured on one or if my dd was injury prone or it was the day before a very important meet. :) And I do not feel that it helps her actual gymnastics at all nor do I think it has hurt it. It's just something they do for fun when she is out playing with the neighbors.

We have a trampoline. When we got it, dd was in rec classes. I thought she'd do some gymnastics tricks she learned but she said the coaches always stressed not to that at home. She uses it every day to get the energy out after school. She just goes outside and jumps up and down for 15 minutes straight. After that she can focus on homework much better :)

I held off on a trampoline for years. They've been commonplace in the backyards of base housing across the country where we've lived. Before my girls started gymnastics they were mildly afraid of them, so it was no biggie. My YDDs coach encouraged her to get one and do some extra bouncing, which changed her mind, and I eventually gave in. She used it for two months before switching gyms, and then immediately asked me to sell it. I'm not afraid of them, per se- as long as they aren't overcrowded- but I don't think they're compatible with improving form. A few skills my DD got at home she really had trouble taking to gym. The tramps felt different and she suddenly developed more fears than ever. I was glad to see it go.

We have one. We got it before my older DD was in gym and before the younger one was even born. Older DD has SPD and her occupational therapist and her neuropsych recommended it to help with sensory integration and proprioceptive input. That's also why we put her in gymnastics, to help with the SPD. And because she was constantly climbing, swinging, jumping, etc and I figured if she was going to do all that anyway, she might as well learn how to do it safely so she doesn't get hurt. ;)

I was just thinking about this thread after today. It was a busy day for Dd. She left her 5 hour Saturday practice after an hour (she only went at all because she said an hour of warmup/strength/conditioning would at least make her a little stronger than skipping the whole practice) She then went roller skating for 2 hours with her y guides tribe in a rare fun morning meeting. Then she went to a 2 hour birthday party for a classmate at a trampoline park. After that she came home and was bored so she and some neighbors played on the trampoline in our backyard for an hour. :) skipping practice for roller skating, trampoline park and home trampoline! Fwiw, she almost never misses practice and the roller skating and birthday party are rare treats for her too. Just thought it was funny how today worked out.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back