Anon Transportation

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

A

Anonymous (811c)

Are coaches “allowed” to give their gymnasts rides or carpool?

I can understand one in a very blue moon but a scheduled thing is frowned upon correct?

Coaches what is your gymnasts doesn’t have a ride or can’t make practice due to transportation challenges?

In the current climate, a coach isn't supposed to spend one-on-one time with an unrelated gymnast. On our team, a lot of girls carpool with others from their neighborhood.
Our coach has only ever driven girls to and from Y Nationals Opening Ceremonies ... and only when Nationals was within a 2.5-3 hour drive (in 2011). There were 2 adults (both coaches with daughters on team) and 7 gymnasts in the vehicle. They had a lot of fun.

I can understand one in a very blue moon but a scheduled thing is frowned upon correct?

Coaches what is your gymnasts doesn’t have a ride or can’t make practice due to transportation challenges?

It depends on where you are but check carefully if you’re thinking about giving/getting a ride because I’m 99% sure this is a Safesport violation in the US.

Don't quote me on this... you cannot have only one athlete in the car.

So if you are transporting athletes... you must always have 2 or more in the vehicle.

Generally no. If a kid can't get there one day the coach may ask if another parent can take them (with both parents permission) - but generally parents arrange it amongst themselves.
That say, ours did once as the parent that was supposed to pick them up forgot to (not me!) and the coach drove them (there was a small group) part of the way home that wasn't out of their way.

It’s not ideal. As a coach you should avoid putting yourself in this situation. It is as much to protect coaches as it is to pretext gymnasts.

There can be false accusations too a f if it’s just a gymnast and a coach in the car then there is no one to confirm a story.

And when you drive you have someone else’s child life in your hands.

Having said that, as a gym owner, sometimes I have to drive a kid. Driving a forgotten child home when parents couldn’t be reached, driving a child home when their parents car broke down etc.

A related question. Are gymnasts permitted to stay in their own hotel rooms if not traveling with a parent? With the coach acting as chaperone?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back