Parents Trials and Triumphs....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

LoriLou

Proud Parent
My 7yo has been struggling at gym lately. She's doing really well on her L2 competitions, but she is getting a little discouraged. She thinks her coach hates her because she does pushups constantly. They do 25 pushups when they make a mistake on their routines. Poor thing was at her breaking point. The other day when I picked her up she had to do 100 back hip circles because she keeps falling out of them on bars. There was a pretty good little rub burn on her legs, and her hands look like heck. I had a talk with her coach and things seem to have improved. She talked with DD and I both about why she pushes her and such. DD also is seeming a little bored with the L2 skills. Our meet season is nearly over. Last meet is tomorrow, and state is in April. I was thinking there was nothing I could do to get DD excited about gym again.....color me wrong! Her coach told her in our meeting that she wants to start up-training her after this weekend. All the girls on her team will remain L2's next year because of the USAG changes. DD is going to be moving up!!! She is skipping a level!!! All of a sudden DD could CARE LESS about how many pushups she has to do....she is pumped!!! I'm just thankful for the little victories for her. She has been working so hard this year.

wow, 100 back hip circles?!! That's a bit much. Glad your DD is excited about moving up! What do you mean about skipping a level?

wow, 100 back hip circles?!! That's a bit much. Glad your DD is excited about moving up! What do you mean about skipping a level?

She will be going to L3 next season (old level 4) so essentially she is skipping the current L3.

Congrats to your dd, Lou! That's great.

Sent from my ADR6400L using ChalkBucket mobile app

Yes, she is currently an L2. So she gets to skip the new L2/old L3 and go to new L3/old L4. You should hear me trying to explain this to DH. I had to show him a chart.

And YES!!!! I thought 100 back hip circles was a bit excessive too. I had left to take my son to guitar lessons that day, so I didn't hear about it until after. I'm kinda glad I wasn't there because my talk with the coach would not have been near as civil as it was.

even back to the old days, i have never understood conditioning being used as punishment to correct mistakes. and i still don't today. and certainly i don't see the point of doing anything 100 times in a session. pointless and dangerous. that's all.

even back to the old days, i have never understood conditioning being used as punishment to correct mistakes. and i still don't today. and certainly i don't see the point of doing anything 100 times in a session. pointless and dangerous. that's all.
I totally agree dunno. I'm glad I was able to address it, but I'm also glad I wasn't there to witness it. I would have probably been WAY too "mama bear" to maintain my composure. Know what I mean? Her coach was an extremely successful college gymnast. And I've noticed that she is pretty "old school" in that way. I know it's the way she was trained too. She never raises her voice at all though, and I definitely appreciate that aspect. I really do respect her as a coach too. I know that if she didn't push for perfection like she does, there is no way DD would be on the podium like she is. Her methods definitely get the desired results, but it can be difficult to watch. With my DD I think she was feeling like she was getting way more corrections and not enough "at a girls". Know what I mean?

I find that these tactics are used more by coaches who just don't know what to say to a kid to get the desired result/change. Is this true in your experience?

is she falling out of her back hip circles because of uptraining for new L3 dismount? that's been a huge problem for my dd, and at her last meet she over rotated and nearly dismounted.. i felt so bad for her.. gotta love uptraining mid season! her coaches def cut back, though, after similar issues with other girls as well.

is she falling out of her back hip circles because of uptraining for new L3 dismount? that's been a huge problem for my dd, and at her last meet she over rotated and nearly dismounted.. i felt so bad for her.. gotta love uptraining mid season! her coaches def cut back, though, after similar issues with other girls as well.
No, she isn't up-training yet. They'll start soon after state. She was falling out of them because she wasn't locking her arms. Problem solved now, I think.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back