WAG Tricep dips- helpful to prepare for the kip?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter wants to "work out" with me- like she doesn't do enough already. LOL! I was thinking that doing body weight exercises are best (no free weights, right?) I also think that strengthening her triceps will help with her kip and that dips are a great way to do that. Is this assumption correct?

I have done the P90X cardio and plyometric programs with her in the past (or she has done it with me to be more accurate). Cardio workouts seem harmless as they relate to gymnastics, but I don't want to have us doing any strength training together that will in any way undermine her real training at the gym. I am wide open to advice.

I do know my DD (8 next month) was working out with the 10 year olds at practice this week. She was specifically given alternate exercises to do while the older girls did their plyometric sets, as apparently she's "not old enough".

I don't know enough about it to know why and why not, if there's anyone can enlighten?

If she wants to "play", while you work out and mimic some of the things that you are doing, then that is great. However, I would not push the issue, nor would I have her doing skill specific drills or conditioning without asking her coach for input first. I feel strongly that gymnasts (team kids especially) get enough conditioning at practice and most do not need to supplement at home.

Of course, there are always situations where a child has an area of their body that may be weaker than most other kids and that requires special attention and extra conditioning. But unless a Doctor, Physical Therapist, or a Coach has brought something like that to your attention, I'm in the "Leave the gymnastics at the gym" camp.

Spending one on one time together is a great idea. If you enjoy running or P90 X then let her join you for fun. It can be hard not to overanalyze but try. Just enjoy the time together. You could even set a goal of running a 5k for charity together if that goes well possibly a 10 k or half marathon.

Dips won't help her do a kip because all of the majic that makes a kip should be done while the gymnast is still below the bar. Dips can also be a source of shoulder problems, probably more so for young kids. Her coaches have put together a conditioning program for her, so as far as strength exercises are concerned it's already a part of her gym work.

Sounds like we will be doing the cardio and kenpo P90X workouts...

As usual, thanks for the insight, guys. I'll keep her off of the strength workouts at home and do the "fun" ones.

Nothing wrong with a dip. Single rail dips tends to be much harder than parallel bar rips unless you really lean on the bar.

The bent arm strength will help the straight arm strength besides protect the elbow.

They are a staple of men's gymnastics such as the muscle-up on rings, which some girls train on bars for strength. Basically a pullup and dip connected.

Care must be done with those people who have a lack of shoulder extension. You also have to watch out with kids who have shoulder laxity (gumby shoulders).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back