Uk grades

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hmm yes from straddle stand isn't so bad. I can see that the range is a good idea, in that it encourages the girls to work on their strength and flexibility a bit more, but on the other hand I wonder whether it might put off some gymnasts, who are perhaps that bit older, and less flexible. I quite liked that regional grades 12-9 didn't have range as it meant that gymnasts who weren't perhaps good enough for national grades, and may not be as flexible the chance to compete in more "artistic" competitions instead of just rec comps.

I notice it doesn't have box splits in - just left and right. That is probably a nod to the fact the older girls tend to lose their box splits in as they develop.

Ahh whoops, skimmed over the bit about doing japana and assumed box splits was in there. No box makes it a bit better :)

Wow, those changes are not what I was expecting, even though I don't really know what I was expecting.

I thought the plan was to streamline things. We've still ended up with three streams - elite, national and regional grades, all with different skills/ages. The regional grades just seem a bit harder and include range (which isn't a bad thing) and on first reading the national grades also just look a bit harder and still result in a national final. Oh and they all have the same numbers (more room for confusion?). It was always possible to move between national grades and regional grades.

On first glance it doesn't seem any more simple or streamlined than before and maybe resembles the Australian system?

. It was always possible to move between national grades and regional grades.

No it wasn't. You could move from regional to national but once you had competed a national grade you could not take any more regional grades.

You could always move between compulsory and regional grades which was nonsense really.

Oh I didn't know that - sorry. I thought you could do regional or national grades. I'm just confused as I was sure a friends daughter had competed national 7 but wasn't ready for 6, after some fear issues on bars, and competed regional 9. Maybe she never did 7.

Do you think they will still keep the challenge cup or will compulsories out of age be the only elite route?

I guess I'm still not sure what the benefits of creating this whole new system are, which essentially seems to replicate the old one but with revised the skills and the ability to move between grades. They could have adjusted the old system to do that. This seemed like a chance to make a less confusing one - maybe just levels in and out of age and then grades to be competed at your own pace but introduce age groupings and have a national final. Is it still necessary to have two different kinds of grades?

flossyduck, yes still 3 streams and therefore similar to the Australian system. Though we are moving to 2 which is hard for the kids only wanting to train and compete at lower level.
The things that have interested me reading.
1. I find it easier to understand with the numbers between the streams the same, but then I've liked the 14/4 type difference to know if someone is doing regional or higher level. (no one seems to say - I have a few friends kids competing there - they are doing 4 regional or 4 national or 4 compulsory eg)
2. So you get to compulsory (international) 1 and then decide at age 12 that actually this isn't the life for you - but you love the sport and want to stay in it but not dedicate your whole life to it (as many kids do) but you can't move back to national grades at all??
3. flossyduck, the system you describe is pretty much what the Australian rhythmic system has changed to. Just in and out of age and see how you go. No idea if it works as first year.

Interesting to read the skills needed in a different country too. I'm assuming float is our glide. So float upstart is glide kip. I think I like the UK terminology better, sound more fun, lol. But then spent dinner discussing the differences between courgette/zucchini and aubergine/eggplant with the kids and which to use.

Oh and the best bit - I love the use of 'shiny bar' for metal bar!!! I can so see the kids running to go on shiny bar!!!

I think it's good to have stream that requires fewer hours to be more inclusive. Range for all is a really good idea to maintain flexibility as the girls get older. I presume there will be a challenge cup for the National grades.

I think it's good to have stream that requires fewer hours to be more inclusive. Range for all is a really good idea to maintain flexibility as the girls get older. I presume there will be a challenge cup for the National grades.

Challenge cup has always been a national competition for those who are not qualified to the British Championships. It was never related to any grades. National grades have and will keep their own national finals. So glad about range being in all grades.

Oh I didn't know that - sorry. I thought you could do regional or national grades. I'm just confused as I was sure a friends daughter had competed national 7 but wasn't ready for 6, after some fear issues on bars, and competed regional 9. Maybe she never did 7.

Do you think they will still keep the challenge cup or will compulsories out of age be the only elite route?

She could have done grade 9 after 7 if she applied to her regional WTC to be dropped back to regional grades. You need special dispensation. Unless each region makes those decisions individually and yours allows swapping between and mine does not?

I think they will keep challenge cup. It 's main purpose is to provide a national competition for girls not qualified to the British Championships - kind of a B stream nationals. The girls deserve that. It does also provide a route to qualify to the British but that is not its main purpose.

But I am confused by who can enter it now.

Thank you for the link. It might seem daft now that they all have the same numbers, but I actually understand the system better now having read that proposal document. I look forward to seeing what DD ends up doing. I presume a regional grade - alongside that 4th system of the county levels that don't match up to the elite levels!

My DD is working towards national grades, or was, but maybe not this year as she's yet to have a full year in a competitive squad. We were hoping for grade 12 so equivalent would be regional 4 but I suppose that all depends on if she can get her upstart!

Ooops! Really?? Haha, I'm such thicko. Can you explain what the bar mount is then please? What is an upstart float swing? learning as I go along here ;)

it is the swing bit of the upstart - forwards and backwards (twice I think) then back circle up. Like the USAG JO level 3 bar mount but with 2 swings.

like here

Brill! Thanks for that. Think that's very achievable as she has most of the skills for regional 4 already, a few things on bars to go.

Is it a case of just go in for whatever grade coach feels is appropriate? For example, girls competing grade 12 this year would be able to compete regional 4 despite not many differences between the two?

No - if you pass any compulsory grade you have to do national grades only.

However can swap regional to national and back as long as keep advancing.

Little query. The proposed new system of grades says there will be a national final for national grades (as was the case last year). There is no mention of regional finals, ie for those who competed 14-9 in age and got in the top 4 they made up a team and competed against other teams in the region. Is this still going to be the case?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back