underwear

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Arie has a pair that are low cut, cotton and comes in all colors including nude. We bought them in the color of the bottom part of her leo rather than nude. They run a tad small DD got a size bigger than the other she has from Aerie.

Go in ask sales lady for undies that don't show under tight dress pants they will direct you to the best pair.

This is her favorite pair and we have had many.......

Good luck..btw no undie under practice leos but they wear shorts at the gym with leos always.

Certainly the younger girls at our gym do not wear underwear during competitions. The teens, I'm not sure. Teens have issues that the little girls don't have. Our leos fit well and don't ride up, and they are quite low cut and full coverage at the leg, so there is no way you could see anything that shouldn't be seen. Our leos are also dark blue and black (with gold accents), so definitely not see-through in any way.

I would think that panty liners would take care of lots of things for the teens without having to wear panties?

I really hope im not sounding too graphic here..but this is my .02. Kadee has issues with yeast infections. She always has. The kid cant even take a bubble bath because it will cause one. So for her, and I would think others (not to her extent maybe) need the undies under the leo. They say that you arent supposed to wear satin or silk undies unless they have a cotton lining in the nether region, or wear tight fitting jeans for this reason. Now i know that all of Kadee's leos do not have a cotton lining. She needs that barrier between her body, and the non breathable leo. For now, she only wears a leo 2 hrs a week. BUT as/if she progresses through this sport and she is spending more and more time in the gym and spending more and more days a week in the leo..it would become an issue for her for that reason. So for her its a health reason. Luckily for her..her gym wears "undies" under their leo in the same color as the bottom part of their leos. As for her practice leos, she wears her undies under it, and a pair of bar shorts over them if her undies show.

it is very interesting all the different views!
My dd is an older teen, and from the get go always was told by her first gym that a leo is like a swimsuit, so no undies.
She has worn them at 'that time' - but thongs, but not at other times, although she wears shorts or leggings with leo to practice.
I guess it is partly the way the concept is introduced to you initially and what your team mates do that moulds your mindset!

when i compet i dont wear underwear but bra ya i just have a sports bra that has clear straps =) ......... and in work out i have low rise tan underwear=)......... i have no clue what boys wear??????

Granny Smith-that is too funny but it is so true. We have girls wearing bright pink sports bras with blue leos,and tie dye sports bras with animal print leos, they are all over the place. Target has a huge secelction of every neon color and one of my teammates has like 4 of them and you can totally notice her when she ealks in the door because of the color of her sports bra.

You must go to my dd's gym!! LOL.

I wear underwear from GK under my leo, otherwise the crotch of the leo slips around and well, that's just plain gross.

Granny Smith-that is too funny but it is so true. We have girls wearing bright pink sports bras with blue leos,and tie dye sports bras with animal print leos, they are all over the place. Target has a huge secelction of every neon color and one of my teammates has like 4 of them and you can totally notice her when she ealks in the door because of the color of her sports bra.

You may be describing me...LOL. It's not really like I TRY for the whole contrasting colors and patterns thing, but I don't think much about what I wear to the gym. I've been known to forget to bring a leo, and wear a pair of patterned rainbow, full on intense spandex shorts. With a red shirt. And a neon yellow sports bra. Ah well, maybe someday I'll notice what I'm wearing when I go to the gym... But it doesn't really matter to me, I can never find leos that match my sports bras! (This could very well be because the sports bras are the most outlandish colors I've ever seen, but they are so comfy!)

I agree with whoever suggested it seems to be about the culture of the gym. It seemed that almost no one at my gym when I was in levels 4/5, and if you did, the kids made comments about it. I remember trying to wear undies under a leo with a thinner material and ended up running to the bathroom to take them off because the other girls noticed. At the next gym we were not allowed to wear shorts, so once again underwear was noticed. I would attempt to wear it under lighter colored leos, but girls would make comments. Our comp. leos at this gym were so ill fitting that I think it would have been nearly impossible to find undies to go underneath without showing, but no undies with those leos were the least of our problems.
As I got a little older I discovered the GK nude colored undies and absolutely loved them. They were very discreet under both comp and practice leos and allowed for a smooth look, definitely my choice for under leos.

Wow gone for a few days and the great Underware debate breaks out!!

Well for my DD she didn't wear any when she was younger but as she developed she definitly felt more comfortable wearing them. Our gym actually orders custom bottoms that match the leo and are high cut so she wears that at comp but wears regular cotton for practice. As for a bra - practice she wears what ever she puts on in the AM and doesn't care if they straps show etc like all the other girls. In comp she has a sports bra from "Lady Grace Apparel" it was expensive but it does the job without those plastic clear straps. It has regular straps and has never been an issue.

As for leos = swimwear I don't agree. The swimwear around here that I see for older teens and adults usually are lined or have the crotch lined with extra fabric so underware isn't necessary but leos don't have that at least not the ones my DD has had. and the underwear under the leo seems to have fixed the weggie issues too.

For competitions, the girls wear briefs that match their leos. That way if there are any slips, it is not noticable. If the briefs are the proper size and fit, there are no panty lines. Same with the bras. There is a deduction for underwear showing but not sure what it is.

I gave up on underwear because I could never get it to fit right under my leo. Generally for practice I wear shorts and no underwear; my leos are velvet and pretty soft inside. For competition, I ordered underwear from I think 10.0, but it was the wrong color so I sent it back and ordered "sticky strips", which have been a failure thus far. :/ Our comp leos are horrible about riding up if your butt isn't the right shape.

For bras I have a couple that can be switched between racerback and straight. I have one black and one white; they are both fine to wear at competitions. I'm an A-cup though so not that big a deal :p

For the record, leotards, at least the most common brands, ARE NOT LINED. They don't feel like swimsuits!

To each their own. I view leos like swim wear and I do not wear undies, although I do wear shorts over, but I do not compete with undies either. I feel like I have enough to worry about adjusting without having one additional item to pull out of my bum crack after every skill. :eek:

I hate when my comp kids wear undies. The worst was when we had silver leos and they wore their Barbie undies and you could see the cartoons right through! I wanted to do like my old ballet teacher and cut them off. Then you get the parents who buy the leo 3 sizes too big to grow into and you see all the undies or bum cheeks sticking out as well as the straps falling down. I don't mind however if they buy the briefs we sell that match the leos or if they were to wear nude well fitting ones, but that never happens :rolleyes:

I hate when my comp kids wear undies. The worst was when we had silver leos and they wore their Barbie undies and you could see the cartoons right through! I wanted to do like my old ballet teacher and cut them off. Then you get the parents who buy the leo 3 sizes too big to grow into and you see all the undies or bum cheeks sticking out as well as the straps falling down.

At DD's gym, team coach approves the fit of the competition leotard prior to purchase, they do allow a little room for growth, but never so much that you would see undies or have straps falling down. I always ask can't she have the next size? but the coach always overrules me. DD's comp leotard is quite snug fitting, much more than her training leo's, the gym does help you on sell it when it is too small... mostly it they have only been worn a handful of times.

For comps it is specified nude or matching high cut undies. If your undies are showing or you are fiddling with them during warm up then the coach immediately sends you to the bathroom to take them off.
Barbie undies under a silver leotard, gosh I think head coach would have a heart attack :p

I gave up on underwear because I could never get it to fit right under my leo. Generally for practice I wear shorts and no underwear; my leos are velvet and pretty soft inside. For competition, I ordered underwear from I think 10.0, but it was the wrong color so I sent it back and ordered "sticky strips", which have been a failure thus far. :/ Our comp leos are horrible about riding up if your butt isn't the right shape.

For bras I have a couple that can be switched between racerback and straight. I have one black and one white; they are both fine to wear at competitions. I'm an A-cup though so not that big a deal :p

For the record, leotards, at least the most common brands, ARE NOT LINED. They don't feel like swimsuits!

OK, well this may explain the difference, all the gymnastics leotards available in my area are always lined.

The most popular brand www.silviap.com.au

But basically all Gym Leotards really are lined, I think a big part of it is the population side of things here in Australia. There are not huge numbers of kids doing gymnastics, and there are very limited numbers of places that you can buy gymnastics wear. They do not have cheap brands here. You really only have 1 or 2 options for gymnastics gear so they don't have the competitive pricing they have in the USA, there is no need to keep costs down, so they don't cut corners on the quality.

None of my daughters leos are lined and she has GK, Snowflake, Alfa Factor, CL Activewear. I've never seen a leo that was lined.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back