WAG Upgrades...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MinnieGymMom

Proud Parent
My daughters had their first meet this season and they have around 4 weeks until the next one. Their coaches want to upgrade their routines already. My 8 year old level 7 is doing a BHS BHS on beam and they want to connect it to a back tuck dismount. They are also prepping to put a full twist instead of a layout in her floor routine. For my 11 year old level 9 they want to have her do a yurchenko layout instead of a pike (This ones understandable because that gives her a 10.0 start value) and they want to turn a toe to hand pad connection into a stalder pad connection. Is it normal for coaches to do this this early in the season? My daughters normally add things like this between states and regionals.

Gymnasts have to have a layout on floor in level 7, and they have to have a front series, but they might be putting a full for her third pass.

It sounds like you have two talented gymnasts to be at their level at their ages, and perhaps their coaches want to keep progressing them towards higher levels.

Gymnasts have to have a layout on floor in level 7, and they have to have a front series, but they might be putting a full for her third pass.

It sounds like you have two talented gymnasts to be at their level at their ages, and perhaps their coaches want to keep progressing them towards higher levels.
Thank you

Do they already have the skills? It is not unusual for coaches to add skills throughout the season if they feel it will help increase the scores. It also helps prepare them for the next level - more skills that they have already proven are comp ready. But, if they are just now training the skills and quickly putting them in the routines, that would be unusual especially since apparently they already have their requirements. And yes, the yurchenko layout vt would be a good upgrade if she has good form and can land it well.

Do they already have the skills? It is not unusual for coaches to add skills throughout the season if they feel it will help increase the scores. It also helps prepare them for the next level - more skills that they have already proven are comp ready. But, if they are just now training the skills and quickly putting them in the routines, that would be unusual especially since apparently they already have their requirements. And yes, the yurchenko layout vt would be a good upgrade if she has good form and can land it well.
They have done the skills over the summer but due to consistency issues the skills were removed before routine verification. The yurchenko layout has only been done onto a soft landing and the full twist has only been done on a soft landing as well.

Sounds like they are working on it while they have time before the true season starts. If they can get it consistently, it will go in. If not, they will probably drop it again. They may also compete it just a couple meets to see how it scores and decide if it is worth it for state meet. DD has done this in the past.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back