WAG Usag may 2016 meeting minutes - JO

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

thefellowsmom

Proud Parent
So I just saw the May meeting minutes for JO on the usag site and two interesting things popped up.

1. Proposing to change JO national qualification score to 35. Also looks like they are going to start using number of qualified gymnasts in a region to fill spots rather than last years regional team results. This should open some more spots for sure.

Looks like there would have been seven additional spots open up from region 2.

Sounds like good changes to me.

2. It looks like they are doing away with the level 8 vault debacle. It says they will be eliminating the language that states that the second vault score is the final score should they choose to attempt a second vault.

I am glad they are fixing this. Living through the new rule this year, it didn't seem to accomplish what they intended. Still plenty of scary vaults and more often if you missed the first one you would go again and if you hit the first one you were forced to not go for a better score because it was too risky, so really just punishing the kids who actually had good vaults.

Here is a link...

https://usagym.org/pages/women/minutes/njoc.html

1. Proposing to change JO national qualification score to 35. Also looks like they are going to start using number of qualified gymnasts in a region to fill spots rather than last years regional team results. This should open some more spots for sure.

So how many kids are going to 'just scrape in' with their 35 (the new 34) within the weaker regions/age divisions?

The 35.000 minimum all around really only affects those regions with REALLY low level 9/10 numbers (namely region 6 & region 2). That being said 8 out of 9 of the region 6 kids that qualified with 34s this year scored a 34.900 or higher at JO Nationals/Easterns. IMHO I don't really think the region 6 judges are inflating scores at regionals just to get these kids qualified.

Next logical step is to have each region pie its own kids into equal age divisions. I don't think anyone is going to care if they compete against a child who is a year older or younger, so long as all the age groups are balanced at regionals .

So… they had the Xcel Meeting the next day.
The biggest change they are making there is to downgrade 3 vaults in the Platinum Division…
Handspring, Yami, and "Roundoff" Vaults will only be worth 9.8 instead of 10.0.

I think this is unfair based on Platinum being roughly the equivalent to L6/L7 (6 A and 1 B for Platinum). I think they should maintain the 10.0 SV like L6/L7. :(

Link:
https://usagym.org/PDFs/Women/Committee Minutes/NXC/nxc_051016.pdf

The biggest change they are making there is to downgrade 3 vaults in the Platinum Division…

I think this is unfair based on Platinum being roughly the equivalent to L6/L7 (6 A and 1 B for Platinum). I think they should maintain the 10.0 SV like L6/L7. :(

Link:

I think that's pretty ridiculous. I don't think I saw one single platinum vault that would've started from a 10. Nearly everyone does the fhs and those who didn't, they did the RO. Do you know the reasoning at all?

The 35.000 minimum all around really only affects those regions with REALLY low level 9/10 numbers (namely region 6 & region 2). That being said 8 out of 9 of the region 6 kids that qualified with 34s this year scored a 34.900 or higher at JO Nationals/Easterns. IMHO I don't really think the region 6 judges are inflating scores at regionals just to get these kids qualified.

I agree and the same can be said for region 2. Of those low scoring kids that qualified, a couple decided not to go for some reason and the rest scored higher than their qualification score, some significantly higher. There was a gymnast that qualified with around a 35 and at nationals scored in the high 37s and placed like 13th or something. Of course not a typical situation but can't really say that kid didn't deserve to go to nationals. I don't think regional judges are inflating anything.

Link:

Agree, that seems ridiculous! So basically a FHS vault is only good for gold now?? For a lot of girls that means they will only compete it for one year, whereas in JO they compete it for 4 years (well most do anyway.) Unless they are going to make silver a FHS vault and get rid of the silver vault (which I wouldn't be against that particular change, I despise that silver vault lol) it just makes no sense to have the FHS vault be a 10.0 SV for only one year.

I think that's pretty ridiculous. I don't think I saw one single platinum vault that would've started from a 10. Nearly everyone does the fhs and those who didn't, they did the RO. Do you know the reasoning at all?
They didn't give any reasoning. I may contact Claudia or my rep, but idk yet. I do know that Region 6 wants a division above Diamond or to make Diamond more accommodating of former L9 and L10 - harder or allowing higher skills.

Link:

I imagine it is to reward the gymnasts doing harder vaults. An excellent FHS will still score higher than a poorly done handspring full, but I judged some very nice 1/2-1/2s and handspring-fulls last year at the platinum level, and they didn't get any reward for doing a harder vault.

Reactions: sce
I imagine it is to reward the gymnasts doing harder vaults. An excellent FHS will still score higher than a poorly done handspring full, but I judged some very nice 1/2-1/2s and handspring-fulls last year at the platinum level, and they didn't get any reward for doing a harder vault.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's no different than L6 or L7, which is what I always thought platinum was roughly equivalent to.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's no different than L6 or L7, which is what I always thought platinum was roughly equivalent to.
That is my whole reason for not being happy about it.
They also added a new vault option for Gold and Platinum (and since it isn't on the 9.8 list, it should be worth a 10.0 but I haven't figured out the logistics of it, mathematically:
Vault # 1.109 1/4 On - 1/4 Off to land facing AWAY from the table.

It is only 0.2, so won't make a huge difference, I don't think you will see much change in choice of vaults. But I like that it kind of balances out the landing difficulty difference between the twisting vaults and the handspring(a handspring is easier to land straight and stick, while it is really hard to twist a handspring full exactly perfectly one rotation around with no directional landing deduction and stick). So I think it will end up balancing out to be that essentially the same quality of front handspring will score similarly to the same quality handspring full.

As far as platinum being like JO 6/7, the JO program is about perfecting basics and laying a strong, solid foundation before moving on the higher level skills. The Xcel program is more about keeping kids in gymnastics, letting them do what is maybe a little more challenging(as long as it's still safe) to keep it fun and interesting.

And remember they are completely separate programs, run by separate rule committees. I think there is a lot of push out there to change the level 7 vault chart in some way, too(not the same changes as Xcel did, but changes). It's just that the Xcel program committee was able to get it done for their program.

They also added a new vault option for Gold and Platinum (and since it isn't on the 9.8 list, it should be worth a 10.0 but I haven't figured out the logistics of it, mathematically:
Vault # 1.109 1/4 On - 1/4 Off to land facing AWAY from the table.

The 1/4 off the table twist goes the opposite way from the 1/4 on twist, so you land facing away from the table, same direction as you started. The round-off vault twists 1/4 and keeps twisting the same direction another 1/4 off so you end up facing the table.

The 1/4 off the table twist goes the opposite way from the 1/4 on twist, so you land facing away from the table, same direction as you started. The round-off vault twists 1/4 and keeps twisting the same direction another 1/4 off so you end up facing the table.

Thanks… that's what I thought it had to be… don't know if the girls would understand though.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back