vault

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

E

ecogymnast

I have been having a lot of trouble on vault lately. I have this fear problem on every event, and my coaches have really helped me get over it but, I am still really scared on vault. My vault is a simple front handspring. I am about 5, 2" and my board is practically a foot away from the vault because I am to scared to get enough power. I used to be really decent @ vault but now I'm terrifyed! i'm still get over the vault but competition is next week and I need help! any suggestions?:confused:

u cant get hurt doing a simple front hand spring. dont be scared to be a powerful beast.. yy are you so scared reply back and i am sure i an help u. last year i competed this and i got 9.575. Reply quickly..
THXS
GYMNAST22

To have to tell yourself...you have to want it more than you are afriad of it. That helps me a lot when I am having fears! If you are scared you'll get hurt, you won't get hurt if you do it the way your supposed to. Just don't think about it, run hard, and go for it! I am having fears on my vault too. My coach says it is perfect, but i only get myself to do about 3 each practice. So I am working on vault fears too.

I have a drill that really helped me learn how to get up enough power to have a pretty good vault. I wasn't scared of power, but I didn't really "get" how to speed up when my body's natural instinct is to STOP because there's a stationary object in my way. Put a big resi mat behind the vault table and do a handspring where you land on your back. It's like a normal handspring but because you land on the mat, you don't go all the way to your feet. You can try to hop your hands from the table to the mat and then fall over when you get good at it.

It helped me because I couldn't hop my hands up to the resi unless I sped up at the last bit of my run. I think it might help you for that reason, and also because there's a soft, fluffy mat behind the horse in case something goes wrong.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back