Vaulting Fears

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Okay so this year i got moved into level 5 state gymnastics (Australia), and the vault we have to compete in a handspring-to-feet (or handstand vault). I can do this skill to flatback with ease, but when it gets to actually doing it, I just run up the the vault, slow down and don't go over.

It's completely irrational because my coach is spotting and its into a pit. But nope, I just can't do it. I've looked all over the internet and nothing is helping. It's also become an all-consuming fear, where the only thing i can think of is getting over that vault.

Another problem is it seems to be crossing over into other events, so when i was asked to try a round-off backsault I. Said. No!!! I've been wanting to do that for ages, and if my coach thinks i'm ready, i'm probably ready.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Hey, you are the same level as me! I am level 5 state as well in aust :p maybe we will compete against each other :p But as for the vault can't really maybe do some handspring to feet on crash mats the same level as the vault? idk im not very good at the advice thing :p hope to maybe see u in comp :p

well i use to be super afraid of standing backhandsprings, but i found doc ali ( headgames.vs ) and her excersises to breaking the block/fear are really good and i think they work! i started doing them last like wednesday and now i dont really feel that scared anymore, and went for it on saturday. you should definitely look into them! i dont think theres really anything anyone can say to just make you go for it, its just a handstand onto a pit. you aren't going to get hurt in any possible way. try not to think too hard about it, and make yourself go!

well then, it's just a big piece of furniture...these new horses. c'mon...you can't jump over that big sofa? with a spring board?? sure you can.:)

hahahahahaha thanks :D i'll get it eventually... i just have to let my self go, because i just stop as soon as i get to vault without even trying.

thank, i did look into doc.ali and i actually found it quite useful, but i guess im still 'training' my mind :)But. I. Will. Get. It

I am here to help.

I had the same problem... I came up with this idea.. if my fear is the landing why not show myself the landing slowly. I stood on the vault table and put my hands almost on the edge and fell off with the help of my coach and do that till your comfortable then have your coach spot the landing not the begining when vaulting. I hope it helped!

Do you have a vault trainer that can be used on a tumble track? When I was training that vault last winter I found that to be the most helpful, and it was really fun to boot, b/c I am a little afraid of the FHS vault too :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back