Parents What did YOU do?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

let 15 yr old daughter practice driving the car in the parking lot.
went in early & watched some girls on bars.
commented to teen daughter about how they looked.
asked gymnast on the way home if that was a fly away she was practicing.
felt and heard an eye rolling response &
promptly changed the subject.

Our drive is 55 miles each way. I am grateful to be in a carpool.

I drive every Tuesday and then one other day. On Tuesdays another gym Mom and I go out to dinner. We try a new restaurant each week.

The other day that I drive (weather permitting) I go and sit on the beach. I will stay until its about dark. Nothing that I like more then totally zoning out on the beach.

I want to come with you to your gym. Restaurants and beaches. Oh yes please!

What I do while at the gym:
Make sure little ones do not get trampled for being where they don't belong (none of them are mine)
Chat with rec or team parents about whatever they want to talk about
Answer questions about team, the facility, the coaches, the rec program
Collect money from leotard sales to give to the head coach at the end of the night
Observe conditioning
Encourage the girls to try their hardest on said conditioning
Watch my gymmies
Watch the rest of team and the rec kids
Chat with all coaches - team and rec
Offer assistance as needed with routines and skills
Catch flying younger gymmie when she launches herself in my direction at munchie time
Critique gymnasts when asked (straight legs, pointed toes, height, etc)
Offer words of encouragement to anyone who needs it or did something well
Record video for the team video (may have to do a separate video for compulsories and optionals this year... so many girls, such a small time limit allowed)
Evaluate Advanced rec class for potential team move ups (would have to wait until AT LEAST December now)
Evaluate lower rec levels for girls in the wrong level (I usually spot 2-3 a month)

My brother LEAVES the gym - library, the Y proper (our gym is in an annex across town for now... soon to move to another building not owned by the YMCA - much larger space and separate rec area), shopping, walking, sleeping

I'm the minority here. I actually watch! I only go in one day a week. I just pick up the other days and don't ever go early, just drive up and let them hop in. So my one day a week that I drive and stay, I really enjoy watching. Sure I have my iPad and I Candy Crush while watching. I chat with some others while watching, but mostly I'm very happy to get to watch. I love to see what she is up to. Honestly most of the time I end up really bored and ready to go, but its my gym fix for the week and I'm not ashamed to admit it!

Wallflower - I think I'd enjoy watching if I only went occasionally. ;) For now, I'm there so much that I have to figure out ways to make it productive time. (and candy crush doesn't count - especially since I have been stuck on the same level for a week now!)

Today I chatted with other Gym Moms.tied ribbons on 2 pairs of flip flops for the new L2 team, played with a Coach's daughter and watched my younger DD get her mill circle-for the first time in the gym!!

Occasionally I would follow along with DD's conditioning (on the side) for fun. I only ever got positive or encouraging comments from the coaches for doing this. In fact, one time a coach asked me why I wasn't working out when he saw me just sitting!

I can't work out if my kids would think this is great or the most embarrassing thing ever! Eldest would probably never speak to me again. Youngest would no doubt tell me how good I was doing (which somehow comes across as condescending, lol). Not that I'd do it as I know the HC would think it's great and tell me to get out onto the floor and join in with the girls and that would definitely be embarrassing!

I can't work out if my kids would think this is great or the most embarrassing thing ever! Eldest would probably never speak to me again. Youngest would no doubt tell me how good I was doing (which somehow comes across as condescending, lol). Not that I'd do it as I know the HC would think it's great and tell me to get out onto the floor and join in with the girls and that would definitely be embarrassing!

I feel silly doing it if certain parents are there, especially those I don't know so well. But if it's just the coaches and kids I don't mind so much. DD has never commented on it, so I guess she doesn't feel strongly one way or another.

I used to have the perfect car for napping during my daughter's practice. I used to call it my bat cave. I'd bring my blankie and pillow and curl up back there... Put a movie on the ipod and I was out. Best sleep I've had since my kids were born.

I no longer have to camp at the gym but I do miss my naps :(

I love our gym, I gotta say. We have a few chairs (12ish) downstairs where the rec moms will often gather to watch. Upstairs we have bleachers in the balcony, where some team moms and the other rec moms sit. We also have a glassed in room off of the kitchen, where our team moms set up camp, during our practice :) At least a few of us stay, so someone is always in there. Our team has a great group of moms, so we like to chat. The room is also nice when we have to bring our other kids with us, as it helps to keep them contained. We have toys that we store in the kitchen, to keep them occupied.
I always drop DD off, then go grocery shopping. If I have perishables, I stash them in the fridge/freezer of the kitchen. The gym has AC and WiFi. Sometimes I will go workout at my gym (about 15 minutes away), but mostly I just hang out and am glad that my husband is stuck at home dealing with bedtime for the rest of the kids :p.

As a parent who only lives 2.5 miles from the gym I may be off topic. But I have spent HOURS at a time watching. Based on "the other post" I'm coming to grips with how it's perceived by the coaches, and how it may effect my daughters longevity in the sport. I am trying very hard to limit the time I spend watching, and i'm ALSO trying to find things to do during gym time. So yesterday, after I dropped her off, I walked back to the gym -45 minutes-; watched dd for 15 minutes; then walked home -45 minutes-; All-in-all a 2 hour event, but I only watched 15 minutes. I think that will be my new rule. If I'm going to allow myself to watch, I'll have to walk to get there. o_O

Wouldn't it make more financial sense with the cost of gas to leave the car at gym walk home and then walk back in time to see the last bit if practice? Your idea is a good one though. I should walk more

Wouldn't it make more financial sense with the cost of gas to leave the car at gym walk home and then walk back in time to see the last bit if practice? Your idea is a good one though. I should walk more

LOL! That IS a great idea. But by the time I would head back it would be very dark, and late.

As a parent who only lives 2.5 miles from the gym I may be off topic. But I have spent HOURS at a time watching. Based on "the other post" I'm coming to grips with how it's perceived by the coaches, and how it may effect my daughters longevity in the sport. I am trying very hard to limit the time I spend watching, and i'm ALSO trying to find things to do during gym time. So yesterday, after I dropped her off, I walked back to the gym -45 minutes-; watched dd for 15 minutes; then walked home -45 minutes-; All-in-all a 2 hour event, but I only watched 15 minutes. I think that will be my new rule. If I'm going to allow myself to watch, I'll have to walk to get there. o_O

I never get what's so bad about watching (unless the kid doesn't want you to watch). I watch my other kid's soccer and swimming practices, what's so different about gymnastics? You're just a silent observer, not yelling out instructions... That being said, I usually just drop DD off and go to pick her up about 1/2 hr early to watch her for a little. Just about every day, she asks me to come in and watch at the beginning also. I usually don't because I have the other 2 kids with me and they often have activities to get to. And I think she feels a little slighted by me not staying (it is not technically allowed at our gym). Funny part is DD wears glasses (not to gym) and cannot see me when i'm there, so often she'll ask after, how long I stayed and if I saw her (insert whatever skill). I do stay for DS's 2.5 hr gymnastics practice, watching off and on. I read a book during most of the time. He's 5 and I feel that's too young to drop him off. Someday i'll cut the cord. ;) can't beat the big hug I get when he comes out for snack time... :)

I never get what's so bad about watching (unless the kid doesn't want you to watch). I watch my other kid's soccer and swimming practices, what's so different about gymnastics? You're just a silent observer, not yelling out instructions... :)

Silently observing parents don't bother me at all. Parents "coaching" from the sidelines? That's the issue, and it happens. Not often, especially seeing that I'll stop practice and walk over to said parent and tell them to stop. We've only had one issue that didn't stop, and that parent had been told either he is not in the gym or the child is no longer in in the gym. So far, the child is still there.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back