Coaches What did your gymnasts achieve today?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have to brag on this one kid.

She *just* joined T&T preteam, & has been struggling with some of the skills that her classmates have been doing a while.

Then yesterday she goes and busts out the level 4 routine like it's NOTHING, all on the cross in the middle, good reach, good tight positions, arms where they go, all about level with my forehead when I'm standing on the side of the trampoline. It was pretty great.

i just had to bring this back, because of a beautiful, long, tight RO BHS. This gymnast had beautiful lines and excels on beam and bars, but is a little lacking in power, so we were a little concerned that she would not get this soon enough to compete. Today she just went and did it, no problems, no hesitation, just like that. Actually today was a brilliant day all round; much improved front tumbling from an older group, and connecting high bar routines to dismount.
Now once everyone gets over that vault we'll be good to compete!

...but is a little lacking in power, so we were a little concerned that she would not get this soon enough to compete.

One of my gymnasts got her punch front step out connected to her roundoff flick tuck back on Thursday for the first time ever and did it over and over again! She's one of those who we really didn't think would get it in time for her level 4 comp next weekend - I'm still not sure it will go on the day as she couldn't do it yday, but we'll see, 4 more training sessions to go so we'll see! I'm usually not the sort of coach to put skills into competition if they aren't 100% solid, but since she really needs this I might make exception and hope adrenaline does it's job!

never trust adrenaline.

I know, under normal circumstances I wouldn't, but she refused to take it out of the routine once she knew she could do it... Of course the gymnast always knows better than the coach!
Anyway, we went to the competition and unfortunately she didn't quite get the timing right and didn't manage to put the tuck back on the end. However, all of the gymnasts got the score they needed to move to the next level. We even came back with a silver medal, a 5th place and an 8th place, so not a bad day's work!

Yesterday, one of my girls got her kip and another got her giant. Today, the same one who got her giant was playing around and got a full-twisting butterfly on floor (known as a Tong-Fei in the men's code, and I don't think it's recognized in the women's code).

I HAVE to post this one, first off because its my daughter and 2nd because I coach her on the pre-team once a week :)
This week my 4 year old level 3 (but forced to compete L2 because of her age) achieved her cast to squat on, on bars AND a backwalkover on floor!

Hi

I feel that this is pretty cool. The boy in the video is 11, i have been coaching for a year going onto two, and when i got there his giants were crap! But a week ago, we were playing around on HB (he is level 7), and at the end of practice he wanted to have a little fun, so he did this
[video=youtube;UTwBHL4M6bs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTwBHL4M6bs[/video]

Its pretty cool, but if you wanna see something that the boys are actually doing nicely! Here is another video
These are pretty decent, and they have gotten better since this video
[video=youtube;AH6k1rj6hw0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AH6k1rj6hw0[/video]

Coaching can definitely be rewarding.

eeek. 5 giants to triple? and a bit close to the bar, maybe???:) nice giants, though.

One of my gymnasts got her cast to handstand consistently on her own on the low bar last week. This week on Monday I had her do it on the high bar over the pit, then on the low bar without pit, then on Thursday on the high bar without pit. She did it really really nicely and managed to put her straddle shoot on the end of it too!
So, After achieving all of those things, I stuck the shiny bar in at the end of the session and she did her first ever giants on her own!!! They weren't too bad for a first attempt either!
On to wooden bar soon! eek!
Also one of the other gymnasts in the squad did her giants for the first time on wooden bar on her own too - These have been a real long time coming - she is 14 and has had a battle with fear of the skill/fear of failure but she just got up and did them last night! She almost has her forward giants too! She also did her standing tuck back on the high bare beam on her own last night! Really good session for her!

Ressurecting this because it's awesome and I wish to brag.

1. One of my T&T Level 4s is now a T&T Level 5. "I think I can do my front tuck now". Yes, yes she can.

2. OhgodItotallyjustspotteddoublebacks. And then I just stood there being ready while she did double backs all by herself.

3. Standing there for a kid's first cody: scarier than standing there for her first double back. She's got it now & huzzah.

4. Oh hey, was that a rudi? Yes. Yes it was.

5. Little bitty kid FINALLY connected his routine with no extra straight jumps. And there was much rejoicing.

coachgoofy that is so cool - I can't wait to spot my first double back in our gym (Did it on my coaching course and practiced it with gymnasts who could do it already but never taught it in our gym yet!)

My 7 high school girls, since our last meet on the 21st:
BWO-BWO on high beam
tuck 3/4 on beam
RO-BT from my 2 weakest tumblers (flipping!!)
RO on low beam
free-hip kip (it almost looks like a real bar routine now!)
RO-BHS-BT half (and working drills for the full); and 2 more are working on the half, but haven't quite gotten the twisting down

The last two I'm especially proud of because they're completely new skills they've never tried before prior to this season, so coaching the technique fell entirely on my novice shoulders. And by the looks of it, I did a pretty damn good job, if I may toot my own horn here.

(And none of them had a passable switch leap at the first practice if they could do it at all. All of them can now, and one has it on beam. We've come a looooooong way in 2 months)

This weekend we had our national and regional grades competition.
I had 2 gymnasts in the national grades. 1 in grade 8 and 1 in grade 7. They both did very well and exceeded the pass mark of 36. The grade 7 gymnast actually wasn't expecting to pass as we decided to leave out her giants this time which meant she lost 5 marks off her start value. She did so well on the other apparatus however that she scored 36, even with a score of 6.5 on bars!
She also has to re-take her range and conditioning as she fell on her split handstand!!! doh!
I also had 2 gymnasts in regional grade 11 - again, both did extremely well! One was very ill - been off gym all week and only got through the competition thanks to calpol! She struggled through her competition but still competed every single skill, despite feeling rough! The other gymnast had a fantastic competition and finished 9th.

After the competition I had to go back to gym for coaching whereupon the gymnast who did grade 7 achieved her forward walkover on beam which she will need to compete in 1 year!

All in all I'm a very proud and happy bunny this evening!

WAAAAAAAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!

one of my gymnasts tsuked on her own tonight! My first ever tsuk!

(ok, I was stood there ready to spot, we were using trampette instead of springboard, and it was into the pit, but she did it!)

It was sky high!! So proud!

Still a long way to go, but she now has a goal to get it by the end of this month without me stood anywhere near her, then we will work it off the springboard!

:D happy happy happy!

That's awesome I can't wait for my boys to start doing harder vaults.

Last night one of the 9 yr olds I train proved himself insanely strong with -on p bars- 3 pike press, 3 straddle press and a 5sec hold of straddle planche from handstand. He did this by himself in a row with me just spotting for balance.

Last week, one of my boys got his tsuk on vault and his double-back off rings (both spotted, but not heavily)

This morning, one of my girls got a stalder to handstand with a light spot -- and she's hardly even worked stalders before. Another got her Yurchenko to a mat in the pit with no spot.

I just added FIVE new girls to my preteam. A few of them are brand new to the sport. 4 of the 5 girls got their L3 pull over on bars! Im so proud of them and they are happy too! I give popsickles to the girls when a new major skill is achieved :)

We've had a few weeks of hard work in our gym, with not much actual skill achievement, but everyone getting closer and closer! However, on Saturday we had a brilliant session - 2 new kips - one 8yr old (she doesn't really need this skill until next year, but can compete it for a bonus this year) and one was a 6 year old! I think in all my years of coaching, this is the youngest we've ever had a kip (we don't really start working them properly until they actually need it, but do lots of specific conditioning from development squad at 5. This particular gymnast hadn't really been taught to kip at all - only ever done it in parts! She asked her coach if she could try it and did it! She is one of those rare children that just gets everything that is thrown at her! Shame she isn't naturally neat and tidy too!
We also had quite a few new straddle press to handstands over the last week and straddle cast to handstands!

Love it when their hard work starts paying off!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back