what happens to those that didn't make the team?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
I think people are pulling together multiple rules in one example. Below are the rules in isolation so maybe it's easier to understand.

A gymnast must re-qualify international elite every year - whether you are a junior or a senior. Exception: Gymnasts who earn a Championships qualifying score at Championships automatically qualify to Classic the next year. Meaning, if the junior score is 52.00 and the gymnast earns a 52.00 at Championships 2010, she automatically qualifies to the Classic 2011. Of course, she has to compete at the Classic 2011 to be an international elite in 2011, but she has technically already qualified international from the prior year.

You are only an international elite for the year in which you qualify AND compete as an international at Classic or Championships.

The definition of international elite is a gymnast who competes at a Classic or Championships. Gymnasts who qualify only to Classic are international elites so long as they actually compete at that meet.

Once a gymnast of any age qualifies and competes at a Classic, they never have to test compulsories again.

A gymnast who is an international elite in a particular year (meaning they competed at a Classic or at Championships), may compete Level 10 states the next year BUT then they may NOT test international in that year. Meaning, gymnast is international elite in 2010. If she competes Level 10 states in 2011, she may not test international in 2011.

If a gymnast was not an international elite in the prior year, she may compete at Level 10 state and test international in the same year. As soon as that gymnast competes at a Classic, however, she may not continue as a level 10 at state/regionals/JO nationals. In 2009, competitors at the American Classic forfeited their chance to go to JO nationals. In 2008, however, JO nationals was one week BEFORE the US Classic and therefore seven gymnasts were able to compete at both events after having qualified international in between states and JO nationals.

The only gymnasts who can qualify to Championships out of a camp are gymnasts on national team doing 4 events on hard surface.

Gymnasts who are not on national team do sometimes go to national team camps. January national team camps are spread out over two camps and many extra gymnasts attend, including some who are not international elites yet at all. At other camps, perhaps as many as 5-10 extra international elite gymnasts may be in attendance. Some international elites also attend developmental camps, but most developmental camp attendees are pre-hopes, hopes and pre-elite gymnasts.

None of the above pertains to pre elite or hopes gymnasts. They have to re-test compulsories, may compete Level 10 states, etc.

Last edited:
I think people are pulling together multiple rules in one example. Below are the rules in isolation so maybe it's easier to understand.

A gymnast must re-qualify international elite every year - whether you are a junior or a senior. Exception: Gymnasts who earn a Championships qualifying score at Championships automatically qualify to Classic the next year. Meaning, if the junior score is 52.00 and the gymnast earns a 52.00 at Championships 2010, she automatically qualifies to the Classic 2011. Of course, she has to compete at the Classic 2011 to be an international elite in 2011, but she has technically already qualified international from the prior year.

You are only an international elite for the year in which you qualify AND compete as an international at Classic or Championships.

The definition of international elite is a gymnast who competes at a Classic or Championships. Gymnasts who qualify only to Classic are international elites so long as they actually compete at that meet.

Once a gymnast of any age qualifies and competes at a Classic, they never have to test compulsories again.

A gymnast who is an international elite in a particular year (meaning they competed at a Classic or at Championships), may compete Level 10 states the next year BUT then they may NOT test international in that year. Meaning, gymnast is international elite in 2010. If she competes Level 10 states in 2011, she may not test international in 2011.

If a gymnast was not an international elite in the prior year, she may compete at Level 10 state and test international in the same year. As soon as that gymnast competes at a Classic, however, she may not continue as a level 10 at state/regionals/JO nationals. In 2009, competitors at the American Classic forfeited their chance to go to JO nationals. In 2008, however, JO nationals was one week BEFORE the US Classic and therefore seven gymnasts were able to compete at both events after having qualified international in between states and JO nationals.

The only gymnasts who can qualify to Championships out of a camp are gymnasts on national team doing 4 events on hard surface.

Gymnasts who are not on national team do sometimes go to national team camps. January national team camps are spread out over two camps and many extra gymnasts attend, including some who are not international elites yet at all. At other camps, perhaps as many as 5-10 extra international elite gymnasts may be in attendance. Some international elites also attend developmental camps, but most developmental camp attendees are pre-hopes, hopes and pre-elite gymnasts.

None of the above pertains to pre elite or hopes gymnasts. They have to re-test compulsories, may compete Level 10 states, etc.

great and thorough explanation. but the 1 in bold is not accurate. kayla williams being the most recent example. she won level 10 nationals. was invited to camp. verified her compulsories and then optionals. verifies again and qualifies to champs. and then goes on to be selected for worlds and wins vault. kayla was not on the national team during that verifying period and when she subsequently qualified to champs.

there are others but no need to name them all.:)

edited: maybe i should point out here that whatever marta sees and wants...marta will get. the rules are not written in stone.

Last edited by a moderator:
The International Elite committee also decided (as of August 15,2010) that there "will be NO direct qualifications to VISA Championships from the national qualifiers. There will be two Classic competitions in the summer of 2011"...so evidently all (or mostly all, especially new) qualifiers will have to compete at the Classic(s) in order to get a score to move on to Championships.

yes, but don't forget what happens at the ranch itself. verifiers are not the same as qualifiers. and whatever marta sees and wants... marta will get.

The International Elite committee also decided (as of August 15,2010) that there "will be NO direct qualifications to VISA Championships from the national qualifiers. There will be two Classic competitions in the summer of 2011"...so evidently all (or mostly all, especially new) qualifiers will have to compete at the Classic(s) in order to get a score to move on to Championships.

Correct. This is the rule as it has been every year except for 2010.

Gymnasts on national team, however, may earn their score to Visa 2011 at a national team camp in 2011 (along with international meets).

Gymnasts who earned their score at 2010 Championships, but who are not on team, may still use their score to automatically qualify to Classic 2011.

Last edited:
great and thorough explanation. but the 1 in bold is not accurate. kayla williams being the most recent example. she won level 10 nationals. was invited to camp. verified her compulsories and then optionals. verifies again and qualifies to champs. and then goes on to be selected for worlds and wins vault. kayla was not on the national team during that verifying period and when she subsequently qualified to champs.

there are others but no need to name them all.:)

edited: maybe i should point out here that whatever marta sees and wants...marta will get. the rules are not written in stone.

No, I am correct. You are confusing two things, I think: qualification to Classic and qualification to Championships.

Kayla Williams earned her international elite compulsory score at the Excalibur qualifier in February, 2009. The first camp she attended was May, 2009 after she won JO nationals. She qualified international optionals at a camp to Classic. She qualified to Championships from 2009 Covergirl Classic. She made national team at Championships that year, attended World Selection camps and was selected for the World Team.

Any gymnast can qualify to Classic from a national team camp by competing 4 events on hard surface. Only national team members can qualify to Championships from a camp. This rule has never changed.

Last edited:
you know, honestly i can now say i don't remember. geesh...and i was there and don't remember it that way with kayla. now i will have to call gary and bother him. he will then ask me why i can't remember the rules when this is what we do. then he will laugh...:)

edit: it's a blur. called gary. have to wait for him to call me back. i'll get back with you on this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
you know, honestly i can now say i don't remember. geesh...and i was there and don't remember it that way with kayla. now i will have to call gary and bother him. he will then ask me why i can't remember the rules when this is what we do. then he will laugh...:)

edit: it's a blur. called gary. have to wait for him to call me back. i'll get back with you on this one.

I was there as well. I'm sure.

Here's a quote from the 2011 rules that were circulated today but voted on earlier:

"***Qualification to the 2011 Visa Championships will be through either the American or the US Classic meets or National Team members at Team
Training Camp (full routines on competition surfaces) or International Assignment"

hi lemon, still awaiting gary's call. maybe tonight. are you a "proud parent" or a coach or both?:confused:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back