WAG What is a salto?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ECMama

Proud Parent
I hear this term all the time and have always wondered what it is. After looking it up online, I'm more confused than before. Is the salto a specific skill, or can more than one skill be considered a salto? If it is more than one skill, can someone please give me examples of some skills that would be considered a salto? My DD has completed level 8 and has never mentioned this as one of her moves, but the article I read stated that gymnasts usually start doing this around level 6/7.

Whoa - getting technical are we? In our 14 years in this sport we just preferred to call these "flippy things".

Seriously though, it is simply a flip. It can be a front flip (front salto), back flip, double flip, etc.

I still prefer the "flippy thing" though.

My dh knows nothing about gymnastics even though he usually takes dd to practice. For him, any thing in gymnastics in which you start on your feet and turn upside down and end up on your feet again is a "flippy thing." Which is pretty much every move. Cartwheel, roundoff, back walkover, BHS, handstand (because you end up back on your feet again after being upside down), back tuck - all flippy things. And he truly can't distinguish them.

In German it's the same as in french. A "salto" is any kind of summersault.
Originally the word is spanish and stands for any "jump". Funny enough, a "salto" in our definition (as in summersault) is called "mortal" in spanish. In spanish gymnastics the word "salto" is used for the entire event of "vault".

Usually the term is used to describe a tuck. Either a back tuck or a front tuck. We use the term salto and not the term tuck or flip.

A salto refers to a flip that does not use hands like a tuck, like, layout, whip or twist. But generally the term is mostly used for a tuck.

In dutch we call a flip, (like a back tuck, front tuck,..) a salto, this probably doesn't answer your question but i thought it was a fun thing to mention haha

We are on vacation in Poland now, and my dd has been training here. They seem to call a front tuck a salto... threw me for a loop too!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back