What is an arm circle for vault?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymdog

Coach
Single arm circle backward during the hurdle phase. Arms should be forward on contact.

I think that you'll generally see some version of this, however small, but some of the best vaulters do more of a back/forward swing - or a very fast, small arm circle.

Arm circling, to me, is basically a way of getting the arms in position to vault. Ideally the arms will be somewhere between the chest and ears as the vaulter hits the board. They should then move them toward the ears as they are rotating so they bounce.
The arm circle also helps remind the vaulter to get their shoulders back as the hit the board and for smaller gymnasts they can get a little more compression out of the springs.

I wouldn't hit the board with my arms behind me. If I have a quick enough turn over, I'll be blocking with my forehead.

I would be willing to bet you do the same motion on your way onto the double mini. It helps get your chest up so that you can go up instead of pitching forward with no height.

*will quest for a video if one isnt posted after coaching tonight*

You will only see a really big arm circle at the lower levels. By the time, they are vaulting something worthwhile, the arm circle is very small and quick with bent arms. Notice the first vaulter goes from side middle to forwards with just a hint of circle.

It's a matter of gross refinement. Big when you learn till you can minimize it and have the same effect.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back