Parents What to look for in a new gym?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Having girls score higher in their first year also doesn't mean anything. Probably they just keep them longer on the pre-team, so they are better prepared. But having girls who scored 34-35 repeat the level, might indicate that the gym is more concerned with the placements\gym reputation, than the needs of each individual gymnast.

Of course it means something, it means they have better form and technique in that level. If it didn't mean anything there would be no point in having competitions or levels at all. But, the OP has to decide how this fits into her family's personal situation. The truth is the original gym might be correct that the OP's daughter is not going to be successful at compulsories. They also might be wrong. That's why I believe the door should always be left open to transfer even if the best place for the kid to start is Xcel. They may have to switch gyms to get that.

Well you said they have hired this new developmental team director, so they are on the right track to improving those scores at the early levels. I would also look to see if they have upper level optionals - levels 9 and 10. If so, how do they do? Also, some gyms don't get hung up on how a gymnast does at the compulsory levels, because they are focusing more on up training and getting the girls to optionals. Could this be the case here?

Of course it means something, it means they have better form and technique in that level.

But is their form and technique better because the coaching is better, or because they wait an extra year before allowing the girls to compete? You can't tell that just by looking at the scores in their first season.

But is their form and technique better because the coaching is better, or because they wait an extra year before allowing the girls to compete? You can't tell that just by looking at the scores in their first season.

Part of coaching is being able to understand when kids are capable of learning skills with correct technique and form, and developing the proper foundation so that is possible. So yes. The coaching is better. There is no point in me doing what I do every day if it doesn't matter if my kids do things with loose legs, bent arms, and improper technique. It is by no means a given that kids will get a 33 or under in their first year at a compulsory level. And I have had kids in first year of preteam, first year of gymnastics doing straight arm kips. Is my coaching really not better than second year level 4s doing bent arm kips? I'm not saying I'm any sort of Olympic coach but it's kind of exasperating to think that "it really doesn't matter".

I think it does matter, but it might not be everyone's priority and to be honest I do not accept anyone who wants to sign up onto any group, although my requirements are not so much "talent" based but based on the energy level of the child and their ability to keep up with my conditioning program for that particular group. I have met some talented kids who couldn't keep up and would have been unhappy. It's not optimal for their parents to place them in that program then. Those children need a more laid back program. But I believe what I'm doing is best for the long term success of the kids I work with based on their current level and goals. Otherwise I wouldn't do it. And to be honest compared to the child who can sustain a lot more work and physical output, the progress of the kid who can't keep up whether due to emotional or physical limitations is likely going to stall. But that doesn't mean they shouldn't do gymnastics, they should just find the right fit and go as far as they can. I actually team a variety of groups because I coach full time, including rec. So I think everyone can do gymnastics. But let's say I have a level 4 group and an Xcel Silver group. I notice a child cannot keep up with the level 4 conditioning program. The requirements for compulsory are non negotiable. She will not be successful if she can't perform them. So I move her to silver where she thrives and gains confidence because every day in practice she is saying "look what I can do coach! I can do it! I did it!" And that confidence is letting her break through some of the previous barriers.

Sometimes the parents want her to stay in level 4, because they perceive it to be "better." But she would compare herself negatively to the more advanced kids and struggle. That is not "better". Now every kid is different. Some don't care much. So I always take that into account. But in other programs, their level 4 might be like my silver. Presumably this is why they score lower. So if level 4 is that important to them, they might go elsewhere. And that's really fine.

The only non-negotiable thing is safety. If your child doesn't care very much about scores or medals, then it's fine. But keep in mind what I said, 32-33 or lower means there are technique issues, and lack of conditioning and technique plays a major role in injuries. I am amazed to see the number of kids in compulsories with all sorts of braces that my gymnasts don't have or need. I constantly worry about overuse but with proper planning and preparation I find we thankfully avoid many of these injuries at these ages (optionals is different, hard to avoid overuse completely there).

Wow -- I'm not sure I'm ready for that level of score/data analysis. However, I did check and the current gym's L4 girls (there are only 3) all competed for two years at L4, while "gym 2" girls (looks like there might be 11) are all first year L4. As far as qualifying for State (it is AA 33 or higher here), it appears only 5 of "gym 2's" girls qualified for State this year (the highest finish was 9th place). Pretty wide age range represented. No L5 this year at "gym 2" -- but L6, L7 and L8 seem to have fared better then the L4 girls (all qualified for State). No girls competing above L8 this year at "gym 2" although they did have at least one L10 last year.

Also probably worth mentioning that DD REALLY wants to go to "gym 2" -- and that may ultimately be the deciding factor for us. And, if I take it just one step at a time, I did feel good about the developmental team coach/program for the upcoming year.

On your first point. Of course gym 1 girls did well at L4 they were hand picked and still did 2 yrs at the level.
And only 5, means almost 50% (out of 11) went to states. That is not bad and and they were first years.
And yes the teams get smaller as the levels go up. Not to be dismissive of say a Level 4 but far more kids can do a back handspring then say a back tuck at Level 5. And then the time commitment goes up. Yep teams size diminishes as Levels increase. We have about 30 kids level 3 and 4. About half that for Level 5-9, no 10s currently. I would say it was about the same at our other gym proportionately.

Last point, if your daughter likes gym 2, I would lean there unless there is a compelling reason not to. She is the one who has to go and work out and be around the other gymnasts and coaches.

The only non-negotiable thing is safety. If your child doesn't care very much about scores or medals, then it's fine. But keep in mind what I said, 32-33 or lower means there are technique issues, and lack of conditioning and technique plays a major role in injuries. I am amazed to see the number of kids in compulsories with all sorts of braces that my gymnasts don't have or need. I constantly worry about overuse but with proper planning and preparation I find we thankfully avoid many of these injuries at these ages (optionals is different, hard to avoid overuse completely there).

This shocks me to see Level 3s and 4s in braces at meets. Hats off to you.

I would definitely go with Gym 2. Your daughter at 6 is way too young to be taken off the JO track. It sound like she has the opportunity to work with a good coach, and it sounds like the gym is stepping up its compulsory program with the developmental group. I disagree that scores of 33 or 34 in compulsories is some sort of a problem. A 32 is an average of 8s on each event and requires the gymnast to be reasonably competent in the event. Not every kid stands on the podium. Not every kid is a 37 gymnast. To finish 9th in the state as one of the gymnasts from gym 2 did is an accomplishment. Our age divisions have at least 50 kids. How is 9th not a great result? Out of all the gymnasts in the state at that age, the kid was 9th. As you already know, just making the JO team at any gym is an accomplishment. Most kids either are physically incapable of doing the skills or are unwilling to put in the necessary work.
Gym 2 is willing to give your kid a chance. They may not make her a state champ or an elite, but they can help her be a decent gymnast. They also appear to be making an effort of stepping up their game. It is more than the other 2 gyms are offering. And the added bonus is she wants to go there, which is the most impt thing of all

This shocks me to see Level 3s and 4s in braces at meets. Hats off to you.

And, I have no problems with braces when needed. It just surprises me in the sheer numbers I see it because it doesn't seem necessary or appropriate to me. But, I am a big proponent of resting an injury as soon as it occurs in most cases,rather than trying to find a brace for it.

Gymnasts "careers" are very short. Gymnasts are also very short! :) Choose a gym that has the program you want now. Don't go to a gym that is progressing towards what you want. They may or may not get "there". The scores of the team gymnasts are very relevant as they speak to the coaches ability to coach, condition, motivate, etc.

If the program you want is Junior Olympic, Gym 2 is the only gym that has the program you want. That ship has sailed at Gym 1, as they only take what they perceive as the best of the best. My DD is living proof that the small child one gym didn't want at a young age turned out to be a good solid gymnast for the gym that gave her a chance. (State champ on vault, 35.95 allaround as a 1st year 8 year old level 4). Her preschool gym wasn't interested at all in her, though there was no XCEL option.

I just can't believe that. I mean, I can BELIEVE it, but it is a travesty.

If the program you want is Junior Olympic, Gym 2 is the only gym that has the program you want. That ship has sailed at Gym 1, as they only take what they perceive as the best of the best. My DD is living proof that the small child one gym didn't want at a young age turned out to be a good solid gymnast for the gym that gave her a chance. (State champ on vault, 35.95 allaround as a 1st year 8 year old level 4). Her preschool gym wasn't interested at all in her, though there was no XCEL option.

We had the same thing happen with a good friend's dd. They promised her preteam but I guess, changed their mind. The mom & child were both heartbroken. It was the gym we're at currently. But she went to another one in town and boom! State all around champ for level 2. Good for her!! Just because they coach or own a gym doesn't mean they can see the future. Go where they have a program that your daughter wants & hopefully it will work out.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back