WAG When do I start thinking about a full time gym?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

24 hours at level 6 is MUCH more than any gyms around us train. Even most level 10 train less hours. Unless she is going Elite I think that is to much on the little body.

Honestly, even if she does want to do Elite, that seems too much--she's going to have high hours later, if she is able to go that route, why stress her body so much now?

Thank you guys. I'm new to the sport and hearing all these moms at meets brag at how great their gym is with all these extra hours and home school programs starting me thinking.
Boy - I can really relate to this. One of my closest friend's daughter is in a 36 hour, very disciplined, home-school at the gym, group. I get a daily dose of the amazing skills she's working on. Listening to their journey caused a huge journey in my head trying to decide if we are doing "enough" for our daughter. So I totally get your question.
Here is what, after months of trying to figure it out, I've finally concluded (and boy does it feel good). We want our dd to be in this for the long haul. It would be a huge gamble with burn-out to take her out of a program (20 hours btw), where she is already experiencing success, has great coaches who already know and care about her, has so much fun, and always wants more (she too LOVES gymnastics) and then put her in an environment where her whole life centers around gymnastics just so that I can be satisfied that we are doing "enough".

It may be interesting to note that my friend, who is making tremendous sacrifices for her daughter, often struggles with the question are they are doing too much.

I know this decision is a struggle, but if you really tune into your daughter and listen closely she will help lead you to the answer. Good luck!

WOW! 24 hours? At that age,wouldn't that be more than enough hours per week? I thought some of the girls at my gym practiced a lot,but now that I hear you, my opinion is no longer right.:cool:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back