WAG When does refusal to spot become a safety issue?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Somewhat clueless

Proud Parent
Well, I was hoping to update on dd10 (lvl 7) and flyaway issues that I asked about in the spring. It seemed to be coming back over the summer. But after some comments last week by coach that she "wasn't trying", we are back in the same boat with dd very upset, stressed out about being moved back, and generally feeling bad about herself. Same kid is doing bhs on beam and souk vaults into pit and is a very hard worker in and out of gym but just feels "stuck" with this skill.

So, here's my next question: I watched practice yesterday and she was on the high bar that has a pit underneath with a thick mat over the pit foam. Continually getting on bar, swinging and then very loud noise on release (too early or too late?) and landing on feet sometimes but toward the end shooting quickly down toward mat and face planting. In between doing wall sits for minutes at a time, but no coach actively spotting or anywhere near her. I do not know as much as many of you on this board, but I do remember seeing girls with back and neck injuries from bars. I became very uncomfortable watching this and just not sure if this is normal or safe? Please help! Do I need to question this?

It doesn't sound like she is going to get a back or neck injury from your description. But it seems like she would benefit from spotted drills for technique. Are there any coaches you can set up privates with?

My daughter has the same fly away fear. Her coach has spotted her for 2 years even in meets. After a period of struggle this summer she went back to basics with the skill. She is now using a 1,2,3, count to release and it is working. I don't know what it is with this skill but it is difficult to watch her struggle with this repeatedly.

Spotting is not a requirement for any gym,,., but,,,, it sure does help! That being said,,, doc Ali !

Hmmmm, coachp I guess I thought spotting was a safety/injury prevention with standard recommendations within the sport.......

I have tried private and actually made things worse with added pressure/comments about "not trying".

I have read some of the posts about vestibular. Could it be vestibular if she is then able to do flipping vaults and bhs on beam & floor?

Some gyms just don't spot flyaways. They do drills and then try them in the pit. I don't practice that policy and hand spot all flyaways. IMO you get a higher number of kids into optionals. Not to mention fewer fear issues.... Also no privates for fear issues. Are the wall sits punishment?

Yes wall sits are punishment. Then she goes again does same thing and repeats the cycle. This is really hard on her and making her feel like she is not going to ever get it. She told me she tries really hard but it's just not working. She is very hard on herself in and out of the gym and this seems to be a lot of pressure....

Yea, the punishment isn't going to help with the flyaway. And stressing out about it only makes it worse. Did she ever do tap timer with a spot?

Has she received specific instruction on how to fix the problem or of exactly how to do it? I have found that the "do it again" approach to fixing gymnastics problems has not been helpful to my kids - they need to hear what they need to do differently to correct a problem. Does your dd even know how to fix her flyaway?

Sometimes a different way of explaining helps. Is there another coach she could work with to help fix the problem? It's not always the gymnast and can sometimes just be a fresh perspective that helps get her past it.

Well, I was hoping to update on dd10 (lvl 7) and flyaway issues that I asked about in the spring. It seemed to be coming back over the summer. But after some comments last week by coach that she "wasn't trying", we are back in the same boat with dd very upset, stressed out about being moved back, and generally feeling bad about herself. Same kid is doing bhs on beam and souk vaults into pit and is a very hard worker in and out of gym but just feels "stuck" with this skill.

So, here's my next question: I watched practice yesterday and she was on the high bar that has a pit underneath with a thick mat over the pit foam. Continually getting on bar, swinging and then very loud noise on release (too early or too late?) and landing on feet sometimes but toward the end shooting quickly down toward mat and face planting. In between doing wall sits for minutes at a time, but no coach actively spotting or anywhere near her. I do not know as much as many of you on this board, but I do remember seeing girls with back and neck injuries from bars. I became very uncomfortable watching this and just not sure if this is normal or safe? Please help! Do I need to question this?
Yikes, not sounding good! I am considered an 'over spotter' by my peers, but I see it as my job, and I take my job seriously! ;) I've heard of and seen gyms that do little to no spotting, and God bless them for being able to do it, but I've got no idea how a child is going to learn or progress otherwise. Drills are great to help break down skills to manageable and understandable parts and pieces, but when it comes time to put them all together, I feel that at least a safety spot is necessary until they can prove to me that they can do it safely on their own.
There is nothing unusual about your daughter being afraid of a fly away, in fact, if she weren't, that would be unusual! It's just one of those skills that takes time, practice, drills, and lots of spotting! It's the type of skill where I always spot it or at least stand there, in practice and at meets. Even girls that have done them and doubles for years, it only takes one 'Ooops.'
'Loud noise on release' not sounding good (pun intended). Comes from an early and incorrect release of the bar. Also would indicate to me she is afraid, which sounds pretty obvious from what you have said.
Punishing or intimidating a child into doing something isn't really something taught in Coaching 101. Doesn't work, and has lots of negative side effects as you are starting to see. Do you feel that you could tell the coach that your daughter mentioned to you that she felt she would progress faster and feel safer, if she had a spot for a while from a coach? Obviously, the coach should already know and see that, but it might be worth a try. Otherwise, not sure this is going to have a happy ending. Wish the best for you and your daughter.

Coach p, I know she did drills and was spotted when learning. Then whacked her ankles one day this spring on layout flyaway and the downhill spiral began. I think coach did some drills again this summer & she started doing them again, but has gone downhill again after being told she is "not trying" and "this is a level 4 skill."

My4buffaloes, I asked her if she knows what is going on. She said she is releasing too early, she thinks it is now a habit, the coach is mad at her and can't help her and has given up on her. (Her words)

Gymsanity, thanks for your long post and explanation. She is afraid but still climbs back up there and does it again. I was actually scared for her last week as it seemed progressively unsafe.

This has just become the elephant in the room and she is very stressed out because she has not been able to work on giants and other skills so is feeling "behind."

To her credit, the kid then goes on to vault and does souks & yurchenkos and the bhs on beam and twisting things into the pit for the skill after layout on floor.

She doesn't want to "quit" but feels hopeless at this point. I have always been very hands off but am now feeling the need for a meeting if for no other reason than to explain what this is doing to her. Obviously at a big gym we need them a lot more than they need us........

Schedule a meeting. I would just say this isn't working, but DD is progressing in other respects and wants to keep going.

Well,,,, this is a tough one, the coach went through all the progressions and spotting, the child learned the skill. Then se lost it, The coach went back through and she got it back, then she lost it again. Correct? If so then it sounds like the coach spent a great deal of time on her. Problem is the rest of the group may be working other skills and what your child needs is to be in with a group that is learning flyaways all over again.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back