Why am I so worried?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

D

dreamergymnast

I am having my first competition in August, and I'm super nervous. I don't want to get injured in front of everyone (I know you might not understand, but when I get hurt I don't like everyone fussing around. I want to be alone, but I can't run off if I'm injured.) Does anyone have tips or hints on how not to feel this way or does anyone feel the same? Please help:(

I think most gymnasts can relate to you here. Nobody wants to get injured, nobody wants everybody looking at them if they do get injured. What you can do to prevent that feeling is do a lot of repetitions in the gym, so you feel confident in your skills. To prevent getting injured, condition so you have strong muscles.
Hope this helps:)

I think most gymnasts can relate to you here. Nobody wants to get injured, nobody wants everybody looking at them if they do get injured.
True. But if I mess up, it's embarrasing, and when I get hurt I run to my room. In my school, nobody loves gymnastics as much as I do (as far as I know, a'nd except for Sarah). If I mess up, I'll get in trouble for bad behavior:mad: Have you ever felt this way (like if you can't do gymnastics you'll die and miss it forever), and have you ever had to miss practice because of injuries? I don't know what to do:confused:

You'll do fine! Remember that you are human, and sometimes you will make a mistake. If you go out there and give it your all, and just focus, you will do great. At practice, do lots of reps and strength like SuperGirlmlm said. And what i do right before it's my turn to compete, I always visualize me doing a solid routine, and i just keep saying I can do this, i can do this! :)

Thank you so much! That really helps me and boosts my self confidence when I get reinforced like that. Thanks a bunch! :D

Long story, also be prepared for a rant. My teammate said that if I ever went into a meet that she would make sure I got injured. She's jealous, and she needs to back off, or I will be very angry. If she ever does that to me, it would be counterproductive ( she would be dropped off the team and I would come back when I'm healed.) Any way,she needs to back off, or she won't be on the team. After she told me that, my other "friend" told me I should back off, or things won't be pretty for me. Ever since, I've had the thought stuck in my head. Pretty unfortunate. Sorry if that is really long, but it's an explanation. :( (she would pretend to get something, instead she trips me, I break my ankle, and poof, I'm out for six weeks. Pretty stupid for me to obsess over something like that. Aftereffect: I get embarrassed. Oh well. Also I did twist my wrist doing a front hand spring. Again, sorry for the long rant.:(

Long story, also be prepared for a rant. My teammate said that if I ever went into a meet that she would make sure I got injured. She's jealous, and she needs to back off, or I will be very angry. If she ever does that to me, it would be counterproductive ( she would be dropped off the team and I would come back when I'm healed.) Any way,she needs to back off, or she won't be on the team. After she told me that, my other "friend" told me I should back off, or things won't be pretty for me. Ever since, I've had the thought stuck in my head. Pretty unfortunate. Sorry if that is really long, but it's an explanation. :( (she would pretend to get something, instead she trips me, I break my ankle, and poof, I'm out for six weeks. Pretty stupid for me to obsess over something like that. Aftereffect: I get embarrassed. Oh well. Also I did twist my wrist doing a front hand spring. Again, sorry for the long rant.:(

Newandlovingit! is right. You should immediately let your coach know if any teammate(s) tries to physically hurt you. I understand how the environment in an all girls’ sport can get catty at some point (I know my gym does!), but it’s not worth the trouble if you don’t feel safe. As for your competition, nothing does the trick like stretching, conditioning, and lots of repetition! Whenever you can’t handle the nerves, just rely on the muscle memory you’ve built through practice to take over. Good luck!

Newandlovingit! is right. You should immediately let your coach know if any teammate(s) tries to physically hurt you. I understand how the environment in an all girls’ sport can get catty at some point (I know my gym does!), but it’s not worth the trouble if you don’t feel safe. As for your competition, nothing does the trick like stretching, conditioning, and lots of repetition! Whenever you can’t handle the nerves, just rely on the muscle memory you’ve built through practice to take over. Good luck!
Yeah I did tell the HC about that gymnast (if you want i'll pm you their names (HC and the gymnast.) Anyway, the gymnast got dropped off the team (and she's not even allowed to come to practice) and she does go to my school but she likely won't be in my HM but it's stil annoying. Hopefully that can eliminate some stress (i've been feeling a lot more confident now that that's taken care of. ) Oh and by the way my comps are in August so I'll pm you my results but it won't be for a while. :eek:

Thanks! :) I don't know when in August the meets are happening but right after I finish a meet I'll pm you my results! :)

You're welcome by the way does your gym compete Level 3? My gym does, and that's the level I'm on. Little brag- I just made it to the competitive team a week ago! I was so excited (and of course I still am lol :) Anyway, good luck on your meets too ! :)

Well, I am honestly not sure. I am relatively new to the whole gymnastics thing myself (started at 14 roughly 8 months ago) and I am trying to get skills needed to start competing Xcel :) my goal is to start competing this fall or next year.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back