why are half of the DANCE moves in gymnastics so weird and awkward looking?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

A calculating coach vying for every fraction of a tenth designs routines to maximize what the rules call for and what the rules reward their gymnasts for doing. If a gymnast can get away with it, they don't need Mikhail Nikolaevich Baryshnikov to model after. Miss Piggy of the Muppets will do just fine.

...i have always wondered why some of gymnasts' dance moves (even elite gymnasts) are so awkward and kind of lame?...

It took a long time to get gymnastics where it is today. But some things haven't changed. amberdezi is not alone. Albeit her pensive observations represent the majority. The best way to handle this is first face the truth. Then come up with the solution I thought of...write more dance requirements into the rules if you want dance to be impressive. Make it worth something you can grade. As much as your sentimental opinions are heartfelt, they remain just that, open ended tokens that you can't take to the bank. They were talking about better dance in floor routines 40 years ago. It hasn't happened. Being in denial isn't going to make this any better. Ok?

i mean, i have always wondered why some of gymnasts' dance moves (even elite gymnasts) are so awkward and kind of lame? i mean, dont get me wrong, i am a huge gymnastics fan, and i know that gymnasts are extremely coordinated, but shouldnt they be doing more graceful dance moves? i feel like floor routines would look SO much better if we all started doing dancer-like dance moves mixed with gymnastics, rather than the traditional gymnast dance moves. i dont know, maybe its just me, but i have had several other fellow gymnasts and coaches agree with me. again, i dont mean to be rude...i am just confused why gymnastics doesnt use more modern and cute dance moves.

I Agree! I've been to so many meets where I'm watching the dance and I'm thinking, "well that was awkward looking".

I'm really happy though, because even though we don't hire professional choreographers (our coaches do our routines), we've always had great, pretty, fluid, and graceful routines.

I also agree that it depends on the person who choreographed the routine, and what skills/tumbling passes you have to complete. As a lower level optional, you have more time for more elaborate dance, because you don't have as many skills and tumbling passes to complete.

"For example you CAN do a full but no one does as a layout is the same value." -aerialriver.

Actually, I believe, coaches correct me if I am wrong, that a full is a b, and a layout is an a. And actually DD's whole gym does full's because they want to be more advanced then an average level 7, they always do the harder skills. (back walkover back handspring, giants, fulls, etc...) I have seen lots of girls in level 7 doing fulls too.

Last edited:
In response to the mention of writing dance/choreography requirements into the rules:

I am an ex-figure skater and one difference I have found between the sports is that WAG makes a huge effort to be objective and "athletic", as opposed to a "show/performance". You can see it in the costumes! A costume I have seen on a seven-year-old girl involved a large paper maiché pineapple fixed to her head. Most competition leos are fairly simple though usually colorful.

Another difference is in the judging. Working at skating competitions at our local rink, as score-posters and data entry persons, has revealed to my mother and me that in skating the judging is all over the place! The scoring is much more subjective, at both the lower levels and international competitions. Indeed, even the levels are more subjective! There is no compulsory requirements (although there is the option of also doing a compulsory competition) and you'll see a huge range of difficulty in one level. Some girls advance through the levels far too quickly and fall several times in one routine, while others stay at the same level far too long and win every medal (guilty...though I was held back because of one skill I could not get).

Working and competing at gymnastics meets (L4-7) has shown us the opposite. Rarely do judges disagree by more than .3, and if they do it's cause for confusion. In the lower levels there is concensus on what skills are performed at each level, until around L8 or 9, and even then there is a relatively even level of difficulty when compared to skating. The USAG/FIG rules are carefully crafted to be as objective as possible, to incite little disagreement over which routine was better, and to encourage certain characteristics and skills in a gymnast. It all seems much more purposeful than figure skating's regulations. I imagine this mindset would not take kindly to introducing a "Does it look good?" requirement.

Though I do wish the dance was better! Ugh...perhaps clinics on good choreography and teaching expressiveness would be a step forward. At my gym the optionals have competitions on most expressive...I think most of our girls dance pretty well, though of course...it's subjective.

Last edited by a moderator:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back