Parents wrong kid, right score

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

nameless

Proud Parent
At my dd's meet this weekend her score was given to the wrong child in error because they mixed up who was who. I brought this to the attention of the meet director and it was corrected after the original medalling. She was called to the podium a 2nd time to correct the error. My dd is a L3, and I realize at this level scores mean nothing to some people, but they matter to me. It was near 2 points difference and it knocked dd down 4 places on the event and at least 4 places AA. My question is is this common? And did I do the right thing? Thankfully, they did not take the other child's trophy away and I told my dd not to talk about it during practice but I am scared it's gonna cause a little drama..

Last edited:
It has only happen a couple times in the 4 years dd has been competing - during her sessions at least. It has never happened to her though.

You were wise to tell dd not to make a big deal about it but it is doubtful it will cause any drama problems.

We had a meet where every parallel bar score was wrong. they had all our team scores, but had given them to different kiddos. We discovered it well after the meet, and coach just talked to the boys about it. Every boy on our team had a score that belonged to a different boy. IT was almost funny.

DD was awarded 3rd for getting the highest score on an event (no 1st or 2nd place were awarded). Every girl in that age group was just shifted down two spots on that event. 1st and 2nd were empty on the podium, the whole room could see it, and they moved on with the awards like nothing was wrong. It was fairly amusing.

My daughter's first meet as a level 4 at 7 years old she competed only on bars and scratched beam, vault and floor. She didn't place on bars, but she tied for 6th on vault with a 8.5.

Last edited:
Yeah, sadly it happens. And trust me--the meet people hate it, but really, the judges have no idea who the girls actually are, neither do the meet people--only the coaches and parents catch those errors, so of course you were okay to point it out. Glad they didn't take the medal away from anyone. I hope your daughter is getting a medal in the mail!

A similar error even occurred at a state meet a couple years ago. One of our girls was awarded first place all around because another girl was placed with the wrong age group. The state website has an asterisk by the award -- both girls ended up with first place medals.

Yes, you were right to get it fixed, but please in the future, let the coach interact with the meet director. You go to the coach and then let the coach approach and inquire. I have had people shout out corrections to me while I am announcing scores and it just doesn't go over well. The coach should be catching these things as the meet proceeds.

Yes, we use numbers written on their hand, but somehow they put wrong score by wrong number. Also, it was at our gym and director was the coach on that event.. :( which made it more awkward.

She did get her 2nd place trophy later that night..

Last edited:
How would you know?
We just accept what the kids get, I'm not a judge and what looks good to me across a gym probably isn't. Have had ones where the coach has said that a routine was very very good but not placed but who know what others do.
They just put the score down next to the kids name on the computer after calling their name so how could they give the wrong kid the wrong score?

OUr kids usually have cards. Coach puts cards in order. If one gets out of order, it can happen easily. Or if something goes on the wrong line, or if the 13 year old writer for the meet writes it down wrong.....etc.

as common as a bowel movement. the first of many errors. lol. :)

ROFLMAO!!!!! Ok Dunno I needed a warning with that post still trying to get the soda out of my nose LOL. But it is true at least 3 or 4 times a year I see that happen.

hmmm interesting. All the meets we go to use an electronic scoring system. One judge raises her hand and says the child's name before the routine to ensure they have the right person. Scores are put in the computer by one of the event judge as soon as they are determined and scores are displayed on a screen. I guess that could be why we haven't gotten many errors.

WOW! We have paper cards that are carried around, run to the computer by kids, etc. I think we have one meet a year that has the electronic screens!

hmmm interesting. All the meets we go to use an electronic scoring system. One judge raises her hand and says the child's name before the routine to ensure they have the right person. Scores are put in the computer by one of the event judge as soon as they are determined and scores are displayed on a screen. I guess that could be why we haven't gotten many errors.

Unfortunatly in my area the "computer" age is still waiting to happen. Those systems are very expensive and I know I would rather see new equipment for the gymnasts than a fancy score system installed.

short story. i was in a meet back in the late 60's. i took home a bronze medal. it was a significant competition for my age and level at the time and it was out of the country.

in the 80's, i got a package at my house. i open the package and inside was a 2nd place sliver medal. and also a letter...he explained that at dinner with his family a few months before, he learned from his older sister that a mistake was made at a meet. it wasn't caught right away. and that some of the boys had received the wrong placement medals. then when the parents wanted their son's coach to get it exchanged...well, life gets in the way and they forgot.

this guy hunted me down, and asked in return if i would send him "his" 3rd place bronze, if i still had it, and no big deal if i didn't and should keep the medal anyway.

well...we still speak to this day. and this guy is in the crazy 70's video that some of you have seen.:)

At a meet last year my son did 5.5 circles, then the judge said hid teammates name, and they made him wait till the end of the rotation. Then he did 5.5 circles again and went on to mushroom. The most significant part of the story is that this was his first meet getting more than the min 3.5. Then his score went up and it was his teammates name. Next event, teammates name flashed. Coach made sure both number and name were right for the next two events. He ended up in second place in the meet!

To OP, I think you did the right thing. Your daughter deserves to get the recognition and award she deserves or earned.

At my daughter's first L7 meet, a mistake was made and the results did not show her as placing in the AA. We found out later, she actually placed 3rd in the all around. Our coaches came up to me shortly after the awards ceremony and told me. Unfortunately, it was our gym that made the mistake. It was our single big meet of the season and my daughter had just moved up to L7 mid season. She had two weeks to prepare for her first meet. She worked hard and was very nervous. It would have been nice if she was rewarded for it. But our coaches did not seem amendable to making the correction. So I just let it slide. I just told my daughter and showed her the official results sheet. The results are further immortalized at Mymeetscores.com. I am fine with letting it slide. But on the rare occasion, such as reading this post, I think she did deserved to get that trophy.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back