Parents Your summer plans??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymmom14

Proud Parent
The board seems a bit slow... so its time for some questions.

1. What are your summer plans (vacation etc):

2. What are you DD/DS's plans: (camp, gym etc)

3. What new skills is you DD/DS working on:

4. Does you gym get more serious or less serious with summer training?

5. Is your gym airconditioned? Do they train during the day in the summer?

6. Anything else you might want to comment on?

1. What are your summer plans (vacation etc): Driving DD to gym. We are going to Cancun in august. Also plan on enjoying my Mom's pool with DD2.

No camp this year. IGC the last 2. Just going to gym 20hrs a week. Spending time with friends and some pool time. She also might be getting a new floor routine. (all tangoed up)

Vault: Yeurchenko
Floor: full twist. front handspring, front layout, front tuck
Beam: bhspring. bhspring
Bars: shootover and improving the giant

They work on new skills. My dd seems very hard on herself and frustrated with her bhs, bhs on beam. The connection is too slow and she is stressing. Coaches aren't upset, but she is. I told her you don't have a meet until Dec. stop stressing!

We have no A/C and train 9-1 M-F

Not really... I started this thread!

progress.gif

Just remember you did ask....

DD 13 leaves tomorrow for two weeks in the south of France on a school exchange programme. We leave in two weeks to pick her up there, drive to Barcelona for five days to meet my brother and then taking the night train to Paris for another five days. Back to Marseille on the TGV and then home.

My son turns 18 on the 6th July and then flys out to Tokyo on the 7th for two weeks.

On the 10th we leave for IGC, little BB 11, will go for a week whilst we and BB 13 go to NYC and possibly a beach for the week.

Back home on the 18th, son returns on the 21st.

BB 11, is off to Gymrep camp for a week on the 25, we will be staying home.

Phew just reading that makes me tired!

Some of two is wrapped up in the first answer as holidays sometimes hook up with gym plans.

BB 13 will do no gym this summer. She has finished with WAG and will move into T&T in September with the same coach.

BB 11, is training once a week right now, our gym does not offer team training from May to Sept. When we return from Europe she will go to our gym camp in the mornings to train with some of her group. She is working on that dreaded kip, keeps coming and going! Her sole circle, BWO and full turn on beam. On floor her ro bhs bt and ft. She hopes to go up to Provincial gymnastics this fall in P2 which is like L5/6 combined.

No summer team programme at all at our gym. Girls can do the summer camp, but it is PRICEY!!! So most do not go. Also the groups are different, so coaching and skills worked change.

No air con, just some BIG fans. The gym training is 9-12 five mornings a week. That's it, that's all.

I would prefer that the team programme was year round for consistancy and team reasons. But as our coaches have lives, I can appreciate that it will not happen. Too bad though as I think the girls who do not train in summer have to start all over again each year. Learning new skills doesn't happen without summer training.

1. What are your summer plans (vacation etc): We live at the Beach so we have LOTS of people coming to visit "us" this summer.

2. What are you DD/DS's plans: (camp, gym etc) Morgan is going to a Regional qualifier camp in Florida in July. (It's for anyone who qualified for L7 or L8 regionals)

3. What new skills is you DD/DS working on: Vault=Yuerchecnko... Floor she still needs her Full. Bars= free hip HS on high Bar and her Pirouette.. Beam, perfecting the BHS/BHS series. They have goal sheets that have to be met by August in order to get the nod to move to the next level. Those are the skills on her sheet.

They are really working hard on getting the skills for the next level. They also do some fun things in the summer as well.

5. Is your gym airconditioned? Do they train during the day in the summer? Yes, the Gym has A/C She goes M 4-8, Tues 12-4 and Wed-Fri 8:30-1:00

This is a fun thread :)

Last edited by a moderator:
DD 13 leaves tomorrow for two weeks in the south of France on a school exchange programme. We leave in two weeks to pick her up there, drive to Barcelona for five days to meet my brother and then taking the night train to Paris for another five days. Back to Marseille on the TGV and then ho

Wow, what a great trip!!!! I hope you all have a fantastic time :)

2. What are you DD/DS's plans: (camp, gym etc) Morgan is going to a Regional qualifier camp in Florida in July. (It's for anyone who qualified for L7 or L8 regionals)

Level 7 has regionals? I thought that started at L8??

We are in Region 8 and they start Regionals at level 7. This year the 7's and 8's were in Tupelo, MS. I think maybe that this was the 2nd year that they added L7 to regionals. I know it is a new thing.

1. What are your summer plans (vacation etc): Pretty normal homeschooling, lots of outdoor swim team, keeping the house perfect so it can sell, 17 nights away in August (10 on the river, 7 at the shore).

2. What are you DD/DS's plans: (camp, gym etc) DD is doing 1 week of team camp at her gym and 3 weeks of 4-hour/day dance camp. DS is doing nothin' out of the ordinary. Otherwise gym hours are pretty normal; 6 hours for DD and 3-3.5 for DS.

3. What new skills is you DD/DS working on: I'm really not sure; 6yo dd is on a level 2 team and 5yo ds is on boys' preteam.

4. Does you gym get more serious or less serious with summer training? Less.

5. Is your gym airconditioned? Do they train during the day in the summer? Yes/Yes

My kids are young and still splitting their time between competitive swimming, gym and (for dd) dance. I like to spend a lot of the summer months hanging out near a swimming hole, but with the house crap we have not been doing anything fun lately. DD just had her big dance recital that she practiced 5 hours a week for in May. She has a couple of weeks off dance now.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. What are your summer plans (vacation etc): We went to the beach last week =D

2. What are you DD/DS's plans: (camp, gym etc) Karolyi's camp is next week!

3. What new skills is you DD/DS working on: Level 9: Chanko layout, double pike, double full, bhs back layout (beam), front giants. Level 7: Bhs bwo, full and a 1/2, giants, straddle cast handstands. Level 6 ('s): bhs on beam, high clear hips, layouts, cast handstands.

4. Does you gym get more serious or less serious with summer training? More serious

5. Is your gym airconditioned? Do they train during the day in the summer? They have A/C but don't use it. They train in the late afternoon/ early evenings.

6. Anything else you might want to comment on? not really :D

1. What are your summer plans (vacation etc): Well, dd will be leaving on the 16th with my ILs for a Mediterrean Cruise and will be home on 27th. Then our immediate family will be heading to Disney 8/20 and coming home on the 29th.

2. What are you DD/DS's plans: (camp, gym etc) Dd will be going to University of Maryland's gym camp 8/1 - 8/5.

3. What new skills is you DD/DS working on: Dd is working on tons of new stuff. Vault - yurchenko layout (this would be a miracle if she gets that, but she does have a lovely pike already.) Bars - continue working shootover, hecht to HB, blind fulls, front giants, Jaeger and DB tucks & pikes. Floor - DB tuck, front fulls, back fulls & 1.5. Beam - BHS-BLO; switch leap then full turning split leap (whatever name it has, no idea!) RO-1/2 dismount & then RO-full.

4. Does you gym get more serious or less serious with summer training? Definitely more serious.

5. Is your gym airconditioned? Do they train during the day in the summer? Yes to AC. Team practice smack dab in middle of the day for the most part. 2 days they are 12-6, 2 days 2-6 and then Friday 9-12. No weekends.

6. Anything else you might want to comment on? I can't wait to go on vacation, I really could use the break! Not looking forward to having to purchase new comp leo, but it's part of the game I guess. Lastly, I can't believe that my little girl will be heading off to HS in September..... :eek:

1. What are your summer plans: Gymnastics 3 days a week. Piano one day a week, and swim lessons one day a week.

2. What are you DD/DS's plans: Gymnastics, piano, swim lessons.

3. What new skills is you DD/DS working on: Standing back bend, sole circle, backhandspring.

4. Does you gym get more serious or less serious with summer training? About the same.

5. Is your gym airconditioned? Do they train during the day in the summer? Yes it is airconditioned and yes they train during the summer.

6. Anything else you might want to comment on? Busy week this week but we are going to see Shawn Johnson on June 13th. It has been a while since my DD has seen her. They are both equally excited when they get to see each other. Last time Shawn came around the table and gave her a big hug. She wasn't suppose to get up but she had to tell all her body guards to hold on for a moment and came around and gave her a big hug. DD can't wait to see her again.

1. What are your summer plans (vacation etc): No vacations here, might be on strike (one day strike on Thursday--don't know if we'll have to strike later on).

2. What are you DD/DS's plans: (camp, gym etc) Gymnastics 4 days a week 8:30-1:30 each day. Lake Owen in July. Girl Scout day camp in August

3. What new skills is you DD/DS working on: Not really sure! I know she's doing mostly level 10 skills now (they uptrain so she'll compete level 9 next year, but working level 10 skills now). I know her one coach says all the 9s will be doing double backs on floor, so they're working on that

4. Does you gym get more serious or less serious with summer training? More serious!!

5. Is your gym airconditioned? Do they train during the day in the summer? Yes--air conditioned. Very nice! All days in the summer for Optionals. Compulsories have half/half day/evening

6. Anything else you might want to comment on? Nah. This time of year is boring in gymnastics LOL!

1. What are your summer plans (vacation etc): Vacation? I wish, LOL. No money for that.

2. What are you DD/DS's plans: (camp, gym etc) DD1 (the gymmie) is extremely lucky as someone we know (don't know who) funded a scholarship for her for camp at the local university camp. She is sooo excited, she asks about it at least once a day. :D DD2 and I will enjoy the splash pad at a park near the camp sometimes, should be fun.

3. What new skills is you DD/DS working on: ??? All her level 5 skills for fall season, level 5 routines. She just got grips, so is learning to use them (and NOT liking it, I might add).

4. Does you gym get more serious or less serious with summer training? The same, but some more conditioning. They don't do much routines during summer, though I wish they would, but lots of fun conditioning games, etc.

5. Is your gym airconditioned? Do they train during the day in the summer? It has a evap cooler, but with our heat, it doesn't matter. They are doing morning team practice, which has worked out nicely, except that DD isn't a morning person, but she loves gym, so it hasn't been a problem.

6. Anything else you might want to comment on? Nope. :)

Going to Ocean City in July for about 4 days :). And just hanging out by the pool.

DD will have her regular practices of 10 hrs/week, be doing a few weeks of day camps at the gym, taking a few ballet classes in the evening, and taking a week long ballet intensive camp in August. She is starting pre-pointe this summer and is very excited!
DS will be doing his Jiu-Jitsu a few days a week and some drop in days at the day camp at the gym.

DD is working on ROBHS (still...I know), free hip and fly away on bars, and some other Level A skills that can be incorporated into routines such as aerial, punch front, various beam dismounts, and perfecting that front handspring vault. Lots of things to work on even if she stays at Level A next season.

4. Does your gym get more serious or less serious with summer training?
Kind of both. They start to get serious with skills that kids will be on for that season's level, but also they do a lot of fun activities and a lot of team-building exercises.

No air-conditioning, but it isn't too unbearable. They normally train in the evenings during the week and in the day on Saturdays.

Not really.

Last edited:
1. What are your summer plans (vacation etc): My plans are to do as little as possible. but that wont work out. DW is the VBS director at church so we have that to deal with, VBS is in 2 weeks. Then she and DD are traveling off and on between gym days for fun. Taking a week off in July to do 'something' just not sure what yet.

2. What are you DD/DS's plans: (camp, gym etc) Camp this week. Other than that gym and traveling with Mama. And going to the local water park a lot.

3. What new skills is you DD/DS working on: L4 skills. Concetrating on Front Hip Circle and ROBHS right now.

4. Does you gym get more serious or less serious with summer training? More

5. Is your gym airconditioned? Do they train during the day in the summer? We do have AC and lots of fans. Still hot though. They train in the evenings just like during the school year.

6. Anything else you might want to comment on? Fun thread :)

We just came home from 9 days at Disney. We have a family obligation in WI in July.

DD will have regular practice throughout the summer, Tu/Th 4-6. Team camp is next week and is 9-3 for the new L3s. She'll have two half day camps this summer at the park/rec (soccer and LAX), and a week of traditional "summer camp".

DSs (both of them) have (hockey) practice once a week, plus team camp the last week of June, two half day camps, and the summer camp.

DD is new to L3, so she's just beginning to work on the basic skill set. We shall see how well she progresses!

They hit it pretty consistently year round. The summer training schedule is definitely geared toward your new level skills, assuming you've moved up a level.

Yes, but it's rarely used. However, it's already been much warmer here than in years past, so we'll see how they utilize it this year.

Everyone pretty much sticks to their standard practice times (mostly occurring after 4pm), as the gym also has a fairly full rec program. There are opportunities for privates and specialty practices, though, to add on to the regular team schedules.

It's already so much warmer here than normal! It's going to be a hot summer - so we'll be at the pool as much as possible!

Busy week this week but we are going to see Shawn Johnson on June 13th. It has been a while since my DD has seen her. They are both equally excited when they get to see each other. Last time Shawn came around the table and gave her a big hug. She wasn't suppose to get up but she had to tell all her body guards to hold on for a moment and came around and gave her a big hug. DD can't wait to see her again.

Where are you going to see Shawn?

Work, Beach trip, possibly Disney. I really haven't gotten that far in my planning.

Gymnastics 4 days a week, swimming, and Camp

DD will be working BHS on Beam, Free hip, Fly away, and I am not sure what else will be her uptrain goals.

Summer is a time to weed out those who are not serious. They condition, condition, and did I say condition. Summer is a time to get new skills and pretty much see if they drop.

I always laugh at the new level 4's and how many quit in the first month. As we all say the honey moon is over and welcome to the world of gymnastics

Not at all, it gets up to 100+ in our gym during July & Aug. They train in the mornings till early afternoon. then they head to the pool for the rest of the day.

Enjoy your summer all!

Work, pool, beach over 4th of July, back to New Englad in August to visit family. Trip to USVI in October!

DD will have special camp at gym 8-10 am for one week when school gets out. It's with a guest coach who knows our owner. Bars and tumbling - which is just what she probably needs most. DD is headed to IGC for her 5th year July 11 (she was suppose to week 1, we had to change it). Younger DD swims every morning at 7:45, so no sleeping in for us. She will do a chorus camp for a week in August.

She just finished L6 six weeks ago, competed L7 this past weekend, and will work on L7 and L8 skills. We have a new coach who really likes to condition and train ahead.

More conditioning in the summer, more training ahead. Vacations are okay, as long as there are too many days away!

A/C, but they don't turn it up too much. There are camp kids, so I guess they have to turn it on. DD will train 10-3 or 4 M,W,F. No weekend and I love the days off inbetween so she can still be a kid.

Looking forward to not having school books, lunch bags, etc. laying all over the house!

1. What are your summer plans (vacation etc): We are renting an RV and driving 8 hours to Cedar Point Ohio!!! We have a count down in the kitchen and can not wait!!

2. What are you DD/DS's plans: (camp, gym etc) I might as well move into the gym. thankfully the gym moved and it's all new and air conditioned! our "gym" also contains a dance school. So it's one stop. My oldest is now on dance team and has to take 6 dance classes + 2 gym classes. My, now level 6, gymnast goes 5 days for 3 hr practices + 2 dance classes. break dancing (she wants to) and Leaps and turns ( I want her to) :) I'm not counting ballet since it's part of gym time and required. For the most part their schedules overlap one goes to dance room for 3 hours and the other to the gym for 3 hours.

3. What new skills is you DD/DS working on: She's working on her giants and cast handstand / free hip handstand. Those are the biggest 2 things and what she's struggling with. She's trying and close to her full and wants her standing back tuck so she can try it on beam.

4. Does you gym get more serious or less serious with summer training? I'd say more fun then serious. They all up train which is fun for them but they work hard at it. The new gym has a nice big back yard and they are planning to have them run outside LOL we'll see how that goes!

5. Is your gym airconditioned? Do they train during the day in the summer? YES! We just moved and now have AC THANK GOODNESS! They train morning 3 days and nights 2 days. Fridays are morning - so you can get out and on with your weekend and Monday is night so you don't have to rush back. no weekends at all

6. Anything else you might want to comment on? Love the post idea - it was fun.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back