Parents 8 am meet - best foods for gymnast?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

e'smum

Proud Parent
the meet is at 8am. i assume warm up. so we need to be there at 7:45. it's an hour (maybe more) away. so leaving 6:30-6:45 depending on how far. i need 30 mins for my gymmie's hair.

what is the best thing to feed her? she eats a banana before every meet and she'll eat that in the car but i need to feed her before hand.

i have either bagel and cream cheese
hard boiled egg - she only eats egg whites
scrambled eggs (if she'll eat them)
cereal - sugary kind with 1% milk

i'd rather not the cereal but it's so early i just want her to eat something! i'd prefer protein. any other suggestions. i want her to have fuel but not be so full she's sick. she will sleep on the way there, i'm sure.
maybe a smoothie?

My girls love smoothies before early meets. Easy and can be taken on-the-go.

My YDD is very picky and I struggled for awhile to get her to eat ANYTHING before early morning sessions. She doesn't like eggs...and I didn't want to fill her up with pancakes and sugary syrup...so she eats a PB&J sandwich and drinks a smoothie in the car. Maybe not a conventional breakfast but it does the job and she doesn't complain! (After re-doing her hair for the billionth time because of invisible "bumps", the last thing I want to do is fight with an 8 year old about food at 6am) ;) So anything you can get her to eat (even if it's not typically a breakfast food) will work!

Good luck!

Whatever child will eat that early. Ds would want a smoothie. Dd either oatmeal or cold cereal. She might also have me pack a mini bagel and cream cheese plus some fresh fruit to eat in the way.

For early meets, my DD usually does chocolate milk, fruit, and toast or a pancake. Then on the way, she'll usually snack on dry cereal, beef jerky, etc. But she usually does not eat a ton until after awards, at which time she eats anything she can get her hands on. :)

My kids hate smoothies, though! I'd probably try that if she'd drink it.

Reactions: sce
Toast and peanut butter with a cut up banana on top has been my kiddos favorite recently for early meets.

My dd ALWAYS eats scrambled eggs with cheese before a meet. And usually a few links of sausage.

If we're eating at home, dd usually has cereal (nothing too sugary usually special K) and fruit, or a muffin and fruit, peanut butter toast and banana, etc.

However her favorite breakfast on meet day is stopping at Chic fil A for chicken minis and a fruit cup....:eek:o_O

Bad mom I know! LOL!

My gymmie has had a lot of 8ams this season. :) She eats a bagel/peanut butter sandwich- half at home just before I do her hair, the other half in the car on the way.

If we're eating at home, dd usually has cereal (nothing too sugary usually special K) and fruit, or a muffin and fruit, peanut butter toast and banana, etc.

However her favorite breakfast on meet day is stopping at Chic fil A for chicken minis and a fruit cup....:eek:o_O

Bad mom I know! LOL!
nothing wrong with that. it's better than mcd's chicken!

thanks for all the good suggestions! i don't know if my dd will eat scrambled eggs. i'll hardboil an egg or two, i know she'll eat the egg whites at least.
i'll offer a smoothie and banana and see how it goes.

i've been spoiled. this is our first early meet this year. i'm not sure which is worse, this or one at 6:15pm.

I make what I call a PB&J smoothie- base of Greek yogurt or cottage cheese, plus 1/4 avocado if I have it (you would never know it's there!), 1-2 tbsp peanut butter, favorite frozen fruit (dd likes strawberries, I like cherries), plus either coconut milk or table cream and tsp of vanilla. A little honey for dd.

Do you do breakfast bakes? I put eggs, cheese, veggies, and meat into muffin tins and bake them up. If I want even hardier I bake it with biscuit batter as a base, with the other stuff on top. I usually mix the eggs, meat (we use chicken bacon usually), and veggies (peppers, mushrooms, squash, or tomatoes, with onion and garlic), and then sprinkle cheese on top. Once they're cooled they're a full meal, portable, and not too messy. One and done. I've also made them in mini-muffin tins for one-bite snacks.

thanks for all the good suggestions! i don't know if my dd will eat scrambled eggs. i'll hardboil an egg or two, i know she'll eat the egg whites at least.
i'll offer a smoothie and banana and see how it goes.

i've been spoiled. this is our first early meet this year. i'm not sure which is worse, this or one at 6:15pm.

How old is she? Unless she is really young, ask fir her input. I usually asked my kids what they wanted for breakfast in early meet days. That way I know they are likely to actually eat that early and they are learning to make choices to fuel their bodies.

First whatever she'll eat. Then, a protein//slow carb, with a quick one.

My kid will do...

Cottage cheese, fruit, nuts
Breakfast burrito, egg, cheese, turkey sausage in a tortilla
Oatmeal, egg whites
Egg whites and hummus
Pizza
Breakfast pie, aka quiche
Smoothie and egg whites
Sandwhich, turkey, ham, roast beef, cheese in a wrap
Sandwhich, meat, cheese in a wrap.
Leftover dinner

Milk.

Reactions: sce
First whatever she'll eat. Then, a protein//slow carb, with a quick one.

My kid will do...

Cottage cheese, fruit, nuts
Breakfast burrito, egg, cheese, turkey sausage in a tortilla
Oatmeal, egg whites
Egg whites and hummus
Pizza
Breakfast pie, aka quiche
Smoothie and egg whites
Sandwhich, turkey, ham, roast beef, cheese in a wrap
Sandwhich, meat, cheese in a wrap.
Leftover dinner

Milk.
What's a slow carb with a quick one?

How old is she? Unless she is really young, ask fir her input. I usually asked my kids what they wanted for breakfast in early meet days. That way I know they are likely to actually eat that early and they are learning to make choices to fuel their bodies.
She's 2 weeks into being 10. She wants a donut or sugary cereal so her input isn't requested. Lol. I'm really trying to change our eating habits this year and the kids are game, at least. More protein, less carbs. More fruit and veggies, less snacks. But we still do bkfst cereal in the morning and I would prefer to steer clear. She will eat egg whites so I'm aiming for that and a strawberry smoothie with milk and a little ice cream. And a banana.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back