Parents How to you deal with the Mom drama at the gym?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Over the past two years one mom has tried to have our daughter kicked off the team three times. The first time our daughters were laughing at a joke together and the mom told the gym my daughter was laughing AT her daughter. The gym told my daughter she had to miss two days of practice. We accepted this even though no one asked to hear her version of the story. We told her this child is sensitive and you need to be more considerate of others. We just wanted to move on and avoid conflict. The girls were in junior high school at the time and we knew it can be a tough age.

The second time the mom told the gym my daughter was excluding her daughter from a hangout outside of the gym to the State Fair. I showed the gym owners a screenshot of a text my daughter sent to the entire group where she did in fact invite everyone. At 14 years old the girls tend to make their own plans. Her daughter could not attend that day but the other girls could so they went. It is hard to schedule an outing with 10 girls in the summer when each family is traveling or has other commitments. We felt we did our best to accommodate the majority. The third time there was a similar situation with a pool party. Both times the coaches lectured all of the girls that they need to include each other in their activities outside of the gym and everyone needs to be included otherwise they would be kicked off the team.

However during the last competition season the mom organized a 'team' dinner at an away meet and she did not invite our daughter. I never complained. Our daughter was in tears but we let it go and tried to focus on the competition instead. Apparently another parent who went to the dinner asked her why we were not invited and she said, "Oh, they are with their family this weekend and could not make it."

This parent is well-connected and shows off her money at the gym with lavish gifts for coaches, several privates every weekend with the head coach, inviting coaches to her home for parties etc etc. She even offered to be an investor in the gym but they turned her down. At one point she got into a loud argument in the lobby of the gym with another mom where curse words were being hurled and doors were slammed. That parent left the gym. She seems able to break all of the rules at the gym: no street shoes on the gym floor---why is she even allowed on the gym floor??? Only clear liquids in the gym area---she needs her green smoothies. No talking to coaches during practice---happens daily and everything is an emergency etc etc. All minor infractions but the rules don't seem to apply to her.

I need advice on how to handle this situation. The gym owners seem to enjoy the prestige of having this parent throwing money at them and they overlook all of the mama drama. I just don't feel they have our backs as a family. Our daughter is heading to Level 9 next year and had a great season last year. To pull her out and switch gyms seems like a punishment to her. I'm dreading the competition season with this mom. I avoid her at drop off and pick up by going early and leaving later. It is draining and exhausting playing defense constantly. The gym owner told me to ignore her. This has nothing to do with gymnastics and the girls are good friends at practice.

I'm so over this Mama Drama! How do I handle this???

That is ridiculous. While you can’t control the behaviour of another parent, the fact that the gym is allowing this to occur is a concern.

To suspend a gymnast from the gym for 2 days for laughing and then not ask for her side of the story, is over the top.

It also seems out of line for the gym to tell the kids who they are to hang out with, outside of the gym. Sure, if they invite the whole team somewhere and leave out one kids, that is a problem.

But threatening to kick kids out of the gym over what they do privately is not sounding like a healthy and supportive environment.

My experience is that the moms who are willing to splash cash at the gym are going to get what they want. Three privates a week? That kid is going to get a lot of attention and extras.

Very sorry to hear. Time for a firm conversation with the owner and suggest a code of behavior for the parents and athletes to follow. Being out right disrespectful and cursing in the lobby or in proximity to the athletes and families should not be tolerated. Check the attitude at the door or find a place to argue outside and out of the way.
IMO Team dinners at away and home meets should include everyone on the team or the level in the invite. If someone doesn’t like the person that is fine they can decide not to attend or sit away from the people they do not get along with.

That is ridiculous. While you can’t control the behaviour of another parent, the fact that the gym is allowing this to occur is a concern.

To suspend a gymnast from the gym for 2 days for laughing and then not ask for her side of the story, is over the top.

It also seems out of line for the gym to tell the kids who they are to hang out with, outside of the gym. Sure, if they invite the whole team somewhere and leave out one kids, that is a problem.

But threatening to kick kids out of the gym over what they do privately is not sounding like a healthy and supportive environment.

A gym can suspend you or kick you off the team for breaking the rules. It happened at my dd's gym once in the 5 years she was there so it's very rare for it to happen. The rules are in the handbook that the the parents/girls sign at the beginning of every comp season.

I would not be happy with a rule that everyone has to be invited to activities outside the gym. There can be a very large age gap in a level. We had girls that ranged from 12-17 one year so it is not always appropriate to invite everyone depending on the activity. So then everyone gets restricted on what they can do with their gym friends so that it is appropriate for all ages? Are you allowed to invite just one person to do something? I completely understand not leaving out just a couple girls but a blanket rule like that seems awful to me.

Many gyms have the policy that they can suspend a gymnast or end their training as a result of their behaviour and these is. I refund of fees. Which is generally the same policy as getting suspended or expelled from a private school.

Very sorry to hear. Time for a firm conversation with the owner and suggest a code of behavior for the parents and athletes to follow. Being out right disrespectful and cursing in the lobby or in proximity to the athletes and families should not be tolerated. Check the attitude at the door or find a place to argue outside and out of the way.
IMO Team dinners at away and home meets should include everyone on the team or the level in the invite. If someone doesn’t like the person that is fine they can decide not to attend or sit away from the people they do not get along with.
I spoke to one of the gym owners and she told me to "ignore" the other parent. This is what I have been doing for months so now she is finding ways to go after my daughter through the gym. It is not lost on me that my daughter sat higher on the podium than her daughter when they competed in the same age group. I have said my peace with the gym and it feels like there are two standards of conduct amongst the parents and the gymnasts. I just don't know what to do next.

I could have written this myself. One of the moms has been out for my daughter since she started on team. She threatened to write a negative yelp review due to my 8 yr old and her 13 yr old being on the same team. She also privately told all the owners and coaches my daughter needs to go. My daughter has out performed her daughter every meet. I don’t want to say it’s jealousy, but…
Anyway what the head coach did was move my daughter UP a level early as soon as State was over. Her daughter stayed at that current level. Didn’t make the mom happy but my daughter no longer trains/practices with her daughter and our meet schedule will be different. I completely stopped talking to that mom and we have been 100% drama free. My daughter is so much happier too. Not saying this is an option but taking away all contact with the Mom and her daughter has been a blessing.

These parents sound like predators! Good to stay out of their territory if possible. What a nightmare to have to deal with.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back