WAG A mighty Girl

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Wow, I love this paragraph:
Many others, however, have rallied in support of Farah -- including Jamaluddin. “As Minister of Sport, I still hold to the principle that it is up to the athlete on what he or she wants to wear as long as the attire is regulation approved by the federation, by the sport,” Jamaluddin told reporters at a Singapore press conference. “In her deeds only the Almighty judges her. Not you.” He added, “I think this whole incident also smacks of sexism. Nobody has complained about... kinky Speedos, or [bodybuilder] Sazali [Samad] wearing tight shorts when he flexes his muscles but when it comes to gymnasts, suddenly it's a big problem.” He added wryly, “[The Department of Islamic Development] can also possibly come up with guidelines for certain men to lower their gaze if they find it too excitable to be looking at female athletes. And I will come up with guidelines to ban people from coming to the stadiums to watch gymnastics if they can't contain themselves.”

She's a lovely gymnast, she has lots of supporters and its great to see the Sports Minister backing her.
I'm in no way supporting the haters but I can see how some Malaysians would be genuinely shocked to see a lady in a leotard on their national news. It would be like seeing a fully naked man on the national news at 5pm. I'm not trying to make excuses as I believe the focus should have been on her talent, not on what she's wearing, nor do I believe men should dictate what women wear or do.
I hope she encourages more Malaysian girls to take up the sport and hopefully this will lead to more liberal thinking.
And a Mighty Girl is a great title for her.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back