Are these grips too big??? (pictures)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

As far as width goes--they look wide, but again if it's more comfy then go with it. Over time she'll learn what she's comfortable with and what not.

That's just the thing. She absolutely hates these grips and feels like she can't hold onto the bar for even the simplest skills. I'm hoping the smaller grips will be less intrusive and she'll feel more like she does with bare hands.

Does she feel like their too wide when covering her hand, or the actual leather between the bar and her hand? Once she gets the smaller ones I'm sure she'll feel better. Now, if it's the actual leather between the bar and her hand (not covering the weidth of her hand) that will thin out after wearing them. The width between the bar and my hand was something that always bugged me when I first broke in new grips, but once I got them to where I liked them it was all good. Hopefully the smaller ones will help her out!

Well, she's too young to really be able to explain herself. She just says that they are too "slippery" and she can't hold onto the bar. She also complains about the palm so I think they're too wide. She can't feel the bar at all anymore and I think that makes her feel out of control.

They *look* bigger than mine, but then again, I don't know if mine fit right, only that they're a size 2 and you've gotta have pretty big hands to need bigger than that, no? Were too big for the other girl, anyways, think she was probably in her early teens. (never met her, it was mom-to-mom) They're the kind that narrow in the middle a bit, that might make them look smaller, too.

But one thing *is* true with kids at that age - they always grow, they never shrink.

Has she roughed them up much with a brush, or just took them out of the pack and went?

All this talk of 00s made me feel like when I try and find a pair of pants (8, 6 if I'm really lucky, but what I consider "normal") at Abercrombie & Fitch, like some sort of freakish Amazon from another planet...only they go down to 000, I think!!

Now, MadKate, keep in mind that the 00 size is for a 6-year-old kid. I'm sure she'll outgrow that before too long. :D

Now, MadKate, keep in mind that the 00 size is for a 6-year-old kid. I'm sure she'll outgrow that before too long. :D

Not in those pants they aren't...unless she's already 5'9", in which case there are other sports I'd be recommending to her! I'd be keeping her out of those A&F stores for a good while if I were you! ;-)

But I do wonder why they wouldn't order the narrow style for smaller kids, the regulars seem pretty wide for little hands.

Measure *your* hands (and possibly eyeball her dad's), if you want to see how much she'll grow. A broken in second pair's always good, and if you've got small hands or short fingers, some of that may have passed down to her and she may take longer to grow out of them completely.

And once again, everyone has different opinions on size, length, thickness! My, aren't we a helpful bunch :) The grips look like they could be the right size (if larger is your preference). I am also concerned with the width and thickness. Wide is ok if that's what you like, but it does obstruct your ability to bend the edges of your hand in to grip the bar. If your daughter was using a "cupped hand" technique, she'd probably hate wide grips.

I *think* these are Reisports? Or at least ones that look pretty similar. As I mentioned in your last thread, these grips are very thick, probably thicker than a first-time grip user would like. I took about eight years off from gymnastics, bought a new pair of grips when I returned to the sport, and in the eight years the grips had gotten much thicker. Even I had trouble getting used to them. These are great grips for higher-level gymnasts who work out a lot yet still want their grips to last for a decent amount of time. My old, thinner Reisports still lasted 1-2 seasons of working out 16 hours a week so I wouldn't be too concerned about having to replace them all the time. The thickness also means it's harder to *feel* the bar - not a problem for someone who's used to the feel of swinging bars in grips, but could be a problem for someone who still wants some of the feel of barehands on bar.

I'd probably get her some thinner, more narrow grips as a "transition" pair. There have been some great suggestions on brands here. When it comes time for her to get a second pair, she'll have started developing preferences of her own, and you can go with those.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think they're tensport which is like the ten-o copy of Reisport. I have 501 blues (buckle) and I've had them for about 5 years now (started using this pair freshman year in high school). They hold up okay, I'm starting to wear the top part of the stitching off over the last two years or so because I seem to swing with the grip higher up on my left hand. I don't know anyone with the tensports though, the 501s seem hit or miss as far as liking them, but they're all right quality wise in my experience. I like that they don't have the flap over the finger holes. They're cut a little different than the reisport/tensport. We only use buckle grips at my old gym.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wear a 00. I wish they had 000s. I wore kids sizes until high school.

My skeleton could not fit into a 000. Or even a 00. I am...not exactly built for this sport. And I was on the smallish side of average (both height and chest) until about the middle of high school, too.

On closer inspection, I'd need to know the brand of your grips to find out if you're really that much more suited to the catcher's mitt club than I am. ;-) It seems in some, I *would* be a 3.

(I should have read the boards more before signing up and picked a username that was less similar to popular posters...at least our avatars are quite different - precisely the opposite!)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back