Bob/ shoulder length hair styles?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter has hair that's barely longer than a bob - not quite down to her shoulders yet. She just started on a team and her hair is out of control, even just in practice. Does anyone have any advice for a relatively new gymnastics mom for hair styles? Even something simple for practicing would be great.

Also, would it be better to have her hair grow out? I hate to do that, but if I can't find a way to keep it back then maybe I need to?

Thanks!!!

I do something similar to Bella's mom suggestion. DD's hair has some new growth in front, so it won't all stay back in one ponytail. I put two small ponytails (one on each side of her head) then put the the two small ponytails together with the rest of her hair. It's been holding up well so far. Good luck!

DD just cut her long hair and it is now is above shoulder. For practice she puts into 2 ponies on the side or I french braid it. She also wears that pre-wrap stuff to keep the fly aways out of her face and under control. Goody has some great elasticy headbands that are very thin, sort of like a flat rubber band, that hold her fly aways back from her face. I'll be able to gel it into a ponytail/bun by the time november meet season roll around. Good luck!

I think pig tails work well. For older girls low ones aren't as cutesy. My girls like it because it doesn't hurt when they do forward or backward rolls like just 1 pony tail does.

My dd has never liked long hair. She keeps hers about chin length. Luckily, she doesn't have bangs. What I do for meets is spray it down with water, comb through some gel, put up everything I can get into a pony and barrette the rest of it up. Then I spray everything (except the pony) with glue-like hairspray and use a hair dryer on low to set it.

It works great and she's never had a hair disaster at a meet. Practice is a whole different story though. Generally, we just put it in pigtails. A pony at practice is usually bound to fall out.

The products I use for doing her hair for meets are made by Schwarzkopf in their Got2B line. Here's a link: Schwarzkopf - performance
We use the spiking glue and the freezing hairspray.

Two plaits or pigtails, when you need something quick for practice.

One of my gymnasts had short hair at the beginning of this year. She came in with her hair down the first time, and I had to explain to her mum that however short it is, if there is hair to put up, it needs to be up!
We came up with 'half up half down' pigtails, then added a bit more hair in and put in another elastic, then a bit more until all the hair, apart from a teeny bit at the very back (only about a cm long!) was in! It took less than 5 mins to do and looked neat.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back