Anon Switching Gyms

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

A

Anonymous (0895)

Does anybody have any advice on not feeling guilty about switching gyms? My DD is switching gyms right after her states, we have decided not to tell them in advance because I don't want anything to be taken out on my DD or be treated differently on her last days. I am planning on calling her gym the day after states and telling them she will not be returning. My DD is also planning on texting her coach a couple days after I call to thank her for what she had done for the szn. This is also because we are planning on switching to their rival gym. ( her old coach had moved to this gym and she wants to be with her old coach too.) Almost everyone that works at our current gym is manipulative and always tells their gymnasts that there is no better gym then theirs. My DD feels guilty about leaving because she likes her current coach that she has for just this season but she feels that she can't take her much farther. Me and my DD feel that the equipment is not suitable for her anymore, and there has been lots of drama that was taken out on her even if she hadn't done anything. Because they took other peoples word. I feel as the gym is very sketchy too, and seems that they only care for the money. There's a lot more that has happend but I don't feel comfortable sharing on here yet, so if anybody has any advice on not feeling guilty about switching gyms, it would be appreciated. Shes still on the bridge with switching because she only doesn't want to switch when they are nice to her, when something happens, or they arent, she automatically wants to leave. Another thing I think is horrible is that they are forced to wear shorts!! All because of false accusations and they blame it on the gymnasts and make them wear shorts instead of doing something. Please if anyone has any advice let us know!

You are taking the right approach by not saying anything until after state. Your DD may get a cold response (or no response) after texting the coach. Change is always hard even when you know the situation you are leaving is not healthy. Don't loose sight of why you are leaving and keep focused on the future.

Your comment on being forced to wear shorts is odd to me...I don't see a problem with a policy of wearing shorts (and a lot of gyms don't allow or discourage shorts). I don't have the backstory obviously but it just strikes me as odd.

You should not feel guilty about doing what's best for your daughter, and she should not feel guilty about it either. Based on your description it sounds like switching is the right move.

My DD is also planning on texting her coach a couple days after I call to thank her for what she had done for the szn.
Perhaps a nice 'thank you' for this season gift/flowers/personalized card at states. Sadly texting after announcing your departure may elicit an unkind response that your child does not need to see. It depends on if this coach is an outlier in respects to behavior from adults at the gym.

Changing gyms is hard in the best situations, relationships are built throughout a gymnastics journey and walking away from those relationships is hard in many way... even when there isn't added drama.

I would recomend that you and your daughter give yourselves grace. Acknowledge the hard parts and allow yourselves to mourn what is lost in the transition. But also stay focused on the reasons for leaving.

This is a great growth experience for your daughter.

We left the gym my daughter had been at her whole life around a year ago. Recently she and I have been discussing that decision, how hard it was and all that we went through... but also looking at all that has happened in this past year. I beleive that my daughter gained so much through that experience. She now knows that she can do hard things and sometimes it is worth it to pursue better options.

Good luck!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News