WAG Bratayley

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

sevenatenine2

Coach
Proud Parent
My daughter has taken a recent interest in the Bratayley YouTube videos. The mom is a vlogger and posts daily videos of the kids. The the two girls are gymnasts and the son was a baseball player but sadly passed away earlier in the year. My daughter started watching after his passing.

Anyway, the kids also each have their own gymnastics channel. The little one just created her channel last night and when I saw it there were no videos but around 20 thousand subscribers.

I read that between the pages, the family is making millions of dollars a year. I guess YouTube pays if you get a significant amount of views. -

Anyway, just because I'm strictly curious, how does that work for college eligibility? They're making a huge amount of money and people are watching the gymnastics, but that's really not what the channel was intended to do, I don't think. Anyway, would that preclude the kids from college gym?

Oh, that's a good question! I didn't realize YouTube paid people and I'm interested in hearing the answer to this. My dd loves watching their videos and might at some point want to put her own videos up, but that makes me nervous (and not just for the NCAA potential issue, which I hadn't considered until just now).

I'm not one to want to share our personal lives with millions, but if I were doing that already and making millions of dollars by doing so, but I'd take that money, invest in a college fund while the kids were still little and not worry about a college scholarship. I have no idea how old the kids are, but it's a long road to a college scholarship in gymnastics and most are out of the sport long before then. I'll be watching to see what the answer is though as far as eligibility to compete. Interesting question.

I started watching their very first videos years back. The mom (Katie) was uploading videos from her daughter Annie starting gymnastics at age 2. Now Annie is 10 and a L7 training 8. Her sister Hailey is 7 and had her first meet yesterday at age 7. As already said, their brother Caleb (13) passed away a few weeks ago due to an undedected heart condition.

Over time, the channel grew so the made Annie her own gymnastics channel and their main channel was just family vlogs. They were really "normal" family in a small but nice house. But the number of viewers grew and grew and now they have almost 2 million subscribers and - although I do not know that - I bet they make millions a year. They just moved to a new "house" (it is more like a palace) by a lake.

I do not see myself in the right spot for making guesses whether one of the two girls will be able or even want to do college gym.

To be honest, I do not know how this whole YouTube world will continue. A lot of YouTubers are either young woman doing make-up/fashion/sports or family blogs with young kids. But who is going to watch them in 10 years?

I guess they are just making a lot of money right now and won't have any problems in the future paying for college or life in general.

Smaller YouTubers mostly do it as a hobby anyways and YouTube is just a part time job for little extra money.

And to your question: I do not think this will preclude the girls from college gym. Why? Maybe they even have an advantage because they are famous. Because then everybody will be like for example "OMG Annie from Bratayley is a Gator now!"

PS: For those who don't know. The money comes from advertisement on their channel/Instagram accounts and they often do like ads on TV, try products etc and companies pay them a lot of money (the more famous the more money of course).

The Bratayley's likely make very little from actual youtube advertising:

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-much-money-youtube-stars-actually-make-2014-2

However, I believe they have some sort of contract with a Disney company (Makers Studios). Through that contact they were making a short series (Bratayley Makes History), have a shop (http://shop.maker.tv/collections/bratayley), and I'm sure there are other perks (Annie's recent audition, I'm thinking their last trip to Disneyland was also likely paid for). If that contract makes any more money than their youtube advertising I don't know...

I don't doubt that they make millions, I just wanted to clarify that the majority likely doesn't come strictly from youtube advertising :) I have no doubt their contract with Maker Studios brings in a ton of money and helps them get placed in advertising, helps with products placement & sales, etc.

My son does the youtube thing. Most of the money he makes is really from advertising and sponsorships outside of YT. The actual youtube earnings are not quite as huge as people believe.

Not sure how I feel about young kids being all over social media, it can be a very nasty place. Like with child tv stars of old, but with more commentary.

Good for them......this is a free, capitalist country. Thank god. People are free to earn.

I still cry when I think of Mom loosing a son. So publicly too........

Good for them......this is a free, capitalist country. Thank god. People are free to earn.

It is just not that simple when kids are involved. Laws protecting child labour have not caught up to the internet age.

It is also pretty hard to protect kids from the nasty trolls and creepers out there when you put them in the public eye on a weekly/daily basis.

It is hard for adults, it is harder for kids.

Just rani to the whole family in the Bahamas at the Atlantis crown invitational. None of the adults Had any idea who they were but all the little gymnasts knew!

My daughter has taken a recent interest in the Bratayley YouTube videos. The mom is a vlogger and posts daily videos of the kids. The the two girls are gymnasts and the son was a baseball player but sadly passed away earlier in the year. My daughter started watching after his passing.

Anyway, the kids also each have their own gymnastics channel. The little one just created her channel last night and when I saw it there were no videos but around 20 thousand subscribers.

I read that between the pages, the family is making millions of dollars a year. I guess YouTube pays if you get a significant amount of views. -

Anyway, just because I'm strictly curious, how does that work for college eligibility? They're making a huge amount of money and people are watching the gymnastics, but that's really not what the channel was intended to do, I don't think. Anyway, would that preclude the kids from college gym?

Reactions: sce
They seem (in my limited experience) like a pretty normal family. Mom is a little over the top dramatic sometimes but they all seem genuinely nice.

@tomtnt Oh so funny that you saw them. Both girls competed at the meet. I have never talked to them only seen them but they seem really nice and not over the top at all. Girls have good manners. But they are only "that rich" for a while now so mate it will come...

The way I understand it they will be precluded from D1 competition, whether or not scholarshipped, but will be eligibile for D2 unless they have a sports agent. Whatever that means. D3 has never required amateur status.

They would not be precluded from D1 diving or track. NCAA has gone to single sport disqualification. You are only DQd in the sport you get paid to do.

My son is a professional actor and I have had several conversations with the NCAA despite his young age (still just 10) because they are so draconian about this as applied to actors. It used to be worse when it was not sport specific.

Would they be DQed because of the YouTube channel/money or something else? I have seen several girls lately who have YouTube channel with lots of followers and advertisements who it seems clear the parents and kids gave a goal of college and/or elite gymnatics... (I know it wouldn't matter for elite)

I don't know why they would be precluded from anything other than D1. Is there an amateur status requirement for anything else?

It's the money. You can't make money off your sport. I suppose the parents could say we didn't give her a dime, she did it for free LOL. I still thing the NCAA might be picky.

Last edited by a moderator:
this HTML class. Value is . Sorry to move off topic. But this is the one I really worry about. Why would a parent consider this safe? The outfit alone has me cringing as to who is watching it and gawking at the young girl. My DD watches the Bratalays too. Aside from the length of the videos and the wonderment of why someone would want so much outside attention, I haven't seen anything as questionable as Whitney 's kitchen gymnastics.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back