Broken Ankle

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My baby ended up with an broken ankle yesterday because our 8 month old doberman puppy jumped on her in the morning while she was sleeping. She is devistated knowing that she is potentially going to miss the next 6 weeks of practices and meets, according to the hospital anyway. She goes to the Ortho on Thursday, I am hoping that they have at least some encouraging words. She cried almost all day yesterday. She did go to practice and did the conditioning and stretching that she could do. I feel so bad for her and just keep telling her that it will all be ok. Hopefully she can make her last couple meets. She has one of her scores for Nationals and was looking so forward to going. I really hope that it heals and she can pull off her other score and be able to go. It's heartbreaking to have a child that is normally happy go lucky all the time be so upset. :(

So sorry to hear this. That has to be devastating to her. Just a heads up... It usually takes at least another 4-6 weeks to get back to full training after the cast comes off. She will have lost a lot of strength and flexibility in the leg.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Likewise very sorry to hear this. It's so hard for really dedicated kids to miss even a practice or two, much less weeks or months! Best wishes for a good ortho visit and quick healing.

In my experience, the first few weeks were the hardest emotionally, but the anxieties, anger, and frustration continued to crop up all the way through and past full physical recovery. Injured gymnasts need strong parents! But the skills will probably come back very quickly once she's recovered from what I've seen around my kids' gym.

I'm so sorry! Injuries are never fun, but they are especially heart breaking during meet season. Hopefully the ortho will have some hopeful news for her, and just try to keep her spirits up. Encourage her to keep going into the gym for conditioning, that strength will really help her as she works to get her skills back when she's cleared to get back to full skills. My heart is breaking for her, sending lots of good thoughts her way and hopes for good news from the ortho!

lots of pet organizations that will adopt that doberman...i'm just sayin...:)

so sorry to hear this - its always hard for the kids when they find out they will be out most of the season. Be prepared for her to be out for the season as it may take some time after the cast comes off to be back at it.
The good think is she is young and will heal quickly - she can then be really ready for when she comes back to it.

that is a bummer. it is so hard to see them sad. i remember watching my DD in tears doing turns on the low beam for the 879,549,3264,753 time because her arm was in a cast. so frustrating when they cant do what they love.

stsy strong. this too shall pass.

Very sorry to hear about the injury. Hopefully the ortho can give you some guidance on recovery time and yes you need to make sure she does what the doc says.

hope she's better quickly!

I agree with the poster above....my daughter has been sidelined with an injury and while she diligently goes to practice to condition, she indeed is tired of doing full turns and such for the gazillionth time.

and do prepare your daughter for the fact that even once the cast (or boot) is off, she will need a period to ease in....they want to jump and flip overnight.

Good luck!

Awww, I am so sorry. My dd has had several injuries before and during season (had to take a year off at one point.) She too was heartbroken. All I could do was comfort her and tell her that she would get better. I hope that she heals fast!

Great News! We went to the Ortho today and it turns out that her ankle is not broken! She has bruised her heal or achellis tendon but that is all. He said give it a couple weeks with no tumbling or jumping and she can go back to full practice as long as there is no pain :) We are very releived about this. We also can't blame the poor puppy anymore for being excited to see everyone in the early morning hours. If all goes well since she has already been off of it for almost a week, she will be able to compete in her meet next weekend. Will just have to wait and see. She was super happy to be off of the crutches:D

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back