WAG chalk dust

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mommyof1

Proud Parent
We recently switched gyms, and I have noticed a white haze of chalk dust in the air every time I walk into the new gym to pick my daughter up. The entire gym looks like it is full of fog or cigarette smoke. Somehow this escaped my notice during her evaluation, perhaps because I was so impressed by the other aspects of the program.I found some old threads here suggesting that chalk dust is a respiratory irritant. Is anyone aware of any formal research on the long-term effects of inhaling chalk dust? I haven't been able to find any.

Not aware of research but you might quietly suggest that the gym invest in a chalk-eater filtration system. Really, it is an actual system. If placed properly in the uneven bars area you will be amazed at what it can do. It does require proper maintenance and cleaning of the filters frequently, but it cuts down a lot on the airborne chalk dust. If the club owner doesn't want to invest, it might be something your booster club looks into purchasing for the club.

We recently switched gyms, and I have noticed a white haze of chalk dust in the air every time I walk into the new gym to pick my daughter up. The entire gym looks like it is full of fog or cigarette smoke. Somehow this escaped my notice during her evaluation, perhaps because I was so impressed by the other aspects of the program.I found some old threads here suggesting that chalk dust is a respiratory irritant. Is anyone aware of any formal research on the long-term effects of inhaling chalk dust? I haven't been able to find any.

just for the record. chalk in the air has been around for 100 years. i have been breathing it for well over 50. the only irritant is that the kids overuse it which cause the gyms to look like China between the hours of 5 and 9 when chalk is the most used. it wont hurt your kid.

and what Meetdirector said. if not for presentation, for certain so that you can find the kids! :) lol

I was unaware that chalk wasnt supposed to be everywhere lol. I clean the bleachers for our home meet, and by god the chalk is a pain in the bum to clean!

The only concern I have about chalk is that I make DD stash a bottle of resetting drops in her tape bag in case of too much chalk dust in her contacts..!

Yes we coaches have been breathing it for decades and look joe we turned out. o_O :)

Yes we coaches have been breathing it for decades and look joe we turned out. o_O :)
Oops. That's what happens when I use voice command and don't have my contacts in. Supposed to say how not joe. :)

More proof its not you in that USAG Facebook pic, lol.
Well over 50 ... this is 2015 ... 1980 was 35 years ago... he didn't mention almost 60 or over 60, so lets estimate he has been breathing it in for 53-57 years... so in 1980, he would have been breathing it in for 18 - 22 years. Then factor in breathing it in starting when he was young... it could still be him, lol

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back