Anon What actually matters when choosing a gym?

• Thread starter Anonymous (35d9)
  • Start date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

A

Anonymous (35d9)

Hey everyone I have found myself in a situation of needing to commit very soon to one of two gyms for the 2023-2024 season for my daughter and am realizing I really have no idea how to go about making that choice as I don’t really know what constitutes a “good” gym and how to evaluate the best fit for my kid. I’m hoping maybe some veterans can give some wisdom.

My daughter is 5 (and will be until likely her second meet) and moved up to team from preteam at the start of the summer at the gym she has been at since preschool gymnastics (1.5 years ago). Her team experience so far has been great from her perspective but on the parent side there’s been so much administrative disorganization, drama, and scheduling issues. We got cost breakdown finally and it was significantly greater than I expected and is at the very top of what our family can realistically make happen. Out of necessity I did a little research into the other gyms within driving distance (of which there are very few; we are not a competitive area of the country) and discovered the tuition differences between them and the current gym are significant (current gym being far greater) for the same number of training hours at parallel levels. The fee estimates are substantially lower as well at the other gyms. With this info I felt like we at least needed to scope out other options so my DD was evaluated at another gym and they immediately offered her a spot on their bronze team (they compete xcel as a bridge to optionals). They said she is solidly at the equivalent of developmental level 2.

Her current gym does not compete USAG and has a very relaxed approach to team with anyone welcome regardless of age or skill level. My DD is the youngest in her training group (girls expected to compete levels 1-2) with the average age being around 9. This welcoming and inclusive environment is, in my opinion, one of the best attributes of the gym but I am beginning to wonder if in addition to the financial burden it may not be the best route for her?

DD was not throwing back handsprings on Ellen at four years old but she definitely has some natural talent with her most stand out trait being her strength. She has a (albeit very poorly controlled on the descent) press handstand from sitting (that she taught herself at home; they do not appear to be part of her training at her current gym) and can do 8-10 unassisted pullups with good form. She is not a phenom but coaches and parents notice her. The current gym says they put all girls her age at level 1 regardless of skill level so they can "build confidence and feel good about themselves." Apparently level 1 is often even repeated. Is this normal or is this a gym that likes good scores? Is it good to let them get those medals early on or better to have them work harder for the scores at their more accurate level? They haven't said for sure but she could very likely be competing level 1.

She attended a practice at the other gym we are considering and their attention to detail seemed to far surpass the current gym. They were correcting knees and toe positions even through stretching and warming up and seemed to have a strong focus on perfect form and shapes. They had to help DD make several adjustments and I realized those were things I'd never seen anyone correct at her gym. Overall it seemed more focused with higher expectations but perhaps less fun.

So this entire novel is to ask...what criteria is important at this stage in the game? If a kid has potential (and drive) to go reasonably far then how important are really good, precise fundamentals at the beginning of the journey? Do all these things matter more than a colorful, fun environment? My DD says she would be happy at either place (although I worry she will miss the friends she's already made if we move on). I feel very ill equipped to make this choice and just want to do what's best for my kid. Finances are a factor but if staying put is right we would make it work somehow. Any advice/insight would be greatly appreciated.

If you feel better overall about the other gym, then I would make the move because it is less expensive, seems to have a more structured developmental approach and your dd is fine with the move. You easily can use the finances part of the reason why you are switching (in case you do end up wanting to switch back in the future. In general, I would not be worried about the current gym not training press handstands for a 5 yr old. In fact, I would be worried if they were. but they should part of the progressions at some point. As for competing level 1, that would be a no go for me and certainly if many are repeating that level. Time is much better spent working fundamentals than worrying about competing that level. I feel similar with L2, frankly.

If you feel better overall about the other gym, then I would make the move because it is less expensive, seems to have a more structured developmental approach and your dd is fine with the move. You easily can use the finances part of the reason why you are switching (in case you do end up wanting to switch back in the future. In general, I would not be worried about the current gym not training press handstands for a 5 yr old. In fact, I would be worried if they were. but they should part of the progressions at some point. As for competing level 1, that would be a no go for me and certainly if many are repeating that level. Time is much better spent working fundamentals than worrying about competing that level. I feel similar with L2, frankly.
Thanks that’s good perspective. The biggest issue is I don’t feel an inclination either way. Very neutral. If it weren’t for finances I’m not sure which way I’d be leaning honestly. I did think about how I could honestly say it was finances that caused the switch if we went back to the original gym so it was nice to hear you reinforce that.
(As for press hand stands most of the girls are 8-12..there’s a couple of 6-7 year olds in the mix but most are older)

My daughter is 5 (and will be until likely her second meet)

My DD is the youngest in her training group (girls expected to compete levels 1-2) with the average age being around 9.

First question... Will you be able to afford the fees at the new gym as she progresses and the costs rise?

As a coach the two quoted bits are of concern to me - while wide ranges are possible they are often not efficient - especially if the coach lacks experience/organization skills. These age gaps are also more likely to have drama because their ability to comprehend instructions and concentrate is vastly different in the average child. Being in a group of similar age and ability is almost always better for development.

Mass repeating low levels is a concern

Personally I'd be moving assuming the coaching is kind, corrective and the environment is positive/fun at the new gym - I could understand the cost at the existing gym if they have excellent communication and organization and the coaching had the attention to detail that you experienced at the new gym.

Can you try a few more sessions at the new gym to get a better feel before deciding?

Having a lot of people repeating level 1 is not a good sign to me. For reference, my childhood (started competing in 1997) gym didn't even compete at all until the old level 4, equivalent to new level 3. My friend's gym only did in house until old level 5, new level 4. That, with the higher fees, makes me think the current gym is out to make money more than anything else.

I would ask if your daughter could trial a full week at the new gym and see if she likes the focus. At 5, she should be having fun, so as long as she's happy there, it sounds like it could be a better fit for your family.

For the expense part, double check that both gyms have the same tuition, assessment and fees. Some gyms bundle all of that into monthly tuition. Our gym has monthly tuition, an annual equipment fee, and then a team assessment that is levied before comp season. If you compared its tuition to the next gym over, it would look cheap. It is actually much more expensive because the assessment (covering coaches’ travel fees, meet entries, gear) is a lot. It’s not necessarily bad to have the assessment separate because if a gymnast is injured for the season and won’t compete and travel, then you don’t pay for those meets or the meet Leo.

Just be aware that there might be additional costs to investigate at the cheaper gym.

Also, a skill level 2 at age 5 isn’t necessarily a competitive level 2. Don’t panic if she needs multiple years at 2 or 3/bronze or gets held at preteam. We had a 5 year old who had level 4 skills, turned 6 a week before the age deadline and competed level 3. She was hard to watch because she couldn’t memorize routines and had accidents when she was nervous. It wasn’t a healthy situation. You have lots of time!

First question... Will you be able to afford the fees at the new gym as she progresses and the costs rise?

As a coach the two quoted bits are of concern to me - while wide ranges are possible they are often not efficient - especially if the coach lacks experience/organization skills. These age gaps are also more likely to have drama because their ability to comprehend instructions and concentrate is vastly different in the average child. Being in a group of similar age and ability is almost always better for development.

Mass repeating low levels is a concern

Personally I'd be moving assuming the coaching is kind, corrective and the environment is positive/fun at the new gym - I could understand the cost at the existing gym if they have excellent communication and organization and the coaching had the attention to detail that you experienced at the new gym.

Can you try a few more sessions at the new gym to get a better feel before deciding?
Thanks for the reply! The drama has actually been between parents and staff/ changes in ownership etc. All the girls seem lovely and appear to get along (at current gym).

The potential new gym is very transparent with their costs (you can see them on their website as a non team member) and the optional costs are not that much above the low level costs at current gym. I don’t know if we will even get to the optionals level and if we do that’s many years away so I can’t necessarily predict what our financial state will be.

Neither gym is producing elite athletes or sending girls division 1 for WAG at this point but they both have some prestige associated with owners/head coaches (former Olympic coach etc).

I wish I could attend more practices but both gyms’ contracts are due in the next few days.

A couple things.

First, Its seems a little bit odd that the first gym, the youngest team level (which you said is not USAG, and is very laid back) is more expensive than the second gyms program. Different Gyms structure fees very differently, so I would make sure you are comparing apples to apples (for instance - are coaches fees, meet fees, uniform fees, team registration, usag registration, etc included or are they separate).

Next, if your finances are strained at this level, realize costs will go up exponentially if your daughter stays in the sport...so be prepared (higher fees, pricier leos, travel meets, choreography fees, etc, etc). It will NEVER be as cheap as it is at level Bronze/1/2. Just be aware of what you are getting into.

Finally, make sure you are considering your daughter's feelings as well - does she love her coaches, does she thrive in a more relaxed environment or one with more structure...will she be upset to leave friends, or is she excited about change, etc.

My gymnast recently switched gyms and is spending a lot of time relearning things with more attention to detail. It’s a frustrating process having to unlearn bad habits. I think a gym’s attention to detail and form is an important factor to consider!

If your daughter taught herself to press handstand at home and can do 8-10 good pull ups at 5 years old. I wouldn’t be so sure she isn’t a phenom.

That is rare talent.

But of course, at 5, it’s too early to know how things will go as she grows.

I would 100% recommend you go to the new gym. Not just for financial reasons. But if her other gym is not correcting technique, that will be a huge issue.

Even in recreational, just for fun gymnasts it’s important to constantly correct technique. Of course this should be done in a positive way and not like the army.

But if they don’t correct technique, bad habits will creep in every where and these can lead to some very significant injuries and growth issues, which can cause lifelong problems.

Also if they are not correcting technique their skills will not be able to progress, they will hit a wall.

The other issue is their standard idea of coaching every gymnast the same way, ie all doing level 1. You can’t coach all gymnasts the same way. A good gym will recognise what each individual gymnast needs.

I would also really look at the finances before you put her in team at all.

If you can just make it work for low level gymnastics, even if it’s cheaper elsewhere. As she moves up the levels it will break the bank.

Bourse will increase significantly and quickly, costs will increase. It’s not just the cost of training the other costs will also increase exponentially. Such as leotards, warm ups, competition entry fees, travel for meets etc.

If it’s not going to be financially realistic for your family, it may be better not even start team. It will be hard to watch her fall in love with it, for the gym to become her second home and her teammates to become her 2nd family and then have to take her out.

That’s what I worry about. It seems like that could really contribute to killing their love for a sport if they have to retrace their steps and fine tune everything.

A couple things.

First, Its seems a little bit odd that the first gym, the youngest team level (which you said is not USAG, and is very laid back) is more expensive than the second gyms program. Different Gyms structure fees very differently, so I would make sure you are comparing apples to apples (for instance - are coaches fees, meet fees, uniform fees, team registration, usag registration, etc included or are they separate).

Next, if your finances are strained at this level, realize costs will go up exponentially if your daughter stays in the sport...so be prepared (higher fees, pricier leos, travel meets, choreography fees, etc, etc). It will NEVER be as cheap as it is at level Bronze/1/2. Just be aware of what you are getting into.

Finally, make sure you are considering your daughter's feelings as well - does she love her coaches, does she thrive in a more relaxed environment or one with more structure...will she be upset to leave friends, or is she excited about change, etc.
This was my thought exactly. From what I understand, both gym’s fee is the meet fee and the coach’s fee combined and then they each have a separate one time fee for leos, warm ups, etc. The current gym does a full bling leo even for the lowest levels whereas the other gym said they do a simple tank one for bronze. So I am having a bit of trouble understanding the large discrepancy in cost.

At this point our family is a single income family as I have been home since my youngest was born. I do anticipate that situation changing down the road as my kids get older so I believe the fairly tight finances is somewhat temporary. The potential gym’s costs do not exceed the current gym’s level 1/2 costs until optionals. Bronze, silver, and gold are all still cheaper. So it would be quite a while before that’s an issue; minimum three years but with age eligibility and the likelihood of some levels being repeated it could be 4-5 years. But I hear what you are saying about letting her fall in love and then not allowing her to continue later on. Problem is she’s already in love and rec and pre team wasn’t satisfying her gymnastics lust.

I would 100% recommend you go to the new gym. Not just for financial reasons. But if her other gym is not correcting technique, that will be a huge issue.

Even in recreational, just for fun gymnasts it’s important to constantly correct technique. Of course this should be done in a positive way and not like the army.

But if they don’t correct technique, bad habits will creep in every where and these can lead to some very significant injuries and growth issues, which can cause lifelong problems.

Also if they are not correcting technique their skills will not be able to progress, they will hit a wall.

The other issue is their standard idea of coaching every gymnast the same way, ie all doing level 1. You can’t coach all gymnasts the same way. A good gym will recognise what each individual gymnast needs.
I also feel like I am not a good judge of what constitutes good technique as my own gymnastics knowledge is limited to a couple years of rec as a young kid and what I know from vaguely following NCAA.

But I noticed when my daughter sits in a straddle she turns her knees in with her feet turning towards the floor. The potential gym immediately had her fix her positioning and point her toes. I haven’t noticed that sort of minor adjusting at the current gym but I also don’t sit and watch three hours practices start to finish.
If your daughter taught herself to press handstand at home and can do 8-10 good pull ups at 5 years old. I wouldn’t be so sure she isn’t a phenom.

That is rare talent.

But of course, at 5, it’s too early to know how things will go as she grows.
That’s a scary thought to me honestly. She is really strong and as a result sometimes uses that strength to muscle her way through things that I worry she is able to do because of her strength regardless of technique.
She picks up skills ahead of the curve but not miles ahead. For instance, good straight legged cartwheel and nice back hip circle at 4 but still struggle bus-ing currently with kick overs/walkovers and while her hand stands are lovely she isn’t holding them for more than a second, maybe two. I think her trajectory is great- just saying she isn’t one those kids nailing back handsprings after one practice etc.
I feel like part of that though is just how young she is; full body awareness is still developing and I wouldn’t be surprised if in a couple years things start really clicking and skills come easily. But like you said. Hard to know at this age.

Having just moved from a fun, "worry about form once she get a skill" gym to one that is very focused on form/technique -- go to the gym that focuses on form now. It's not fun to have to re-learn things, or start to feel self-conscious, or whatever.

As a coach, repeating level 1 is totally unnecessary. Most gyms skip level 1 and 2 and start at level 3 for the DP program. Xcel sounds perfect for her age and ability. As a mom, I would pick the 2nd gym. I like that they post their fees on their website and are correcting her form. I think switching now is better for her age than if she were 10 yrs old. Good luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News