WAG Changing Level questions and frustruations

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My DD has been competing as a level 4 for the past 2years. Coach is talking about herrepeating it a 3year as a “new” level 3 (old 4). If her AA for this season has reached a 36.1,and she has all the skills taught at this level why wouldn’t she move forwardto the “new” level 4 (old 5) We areboth frustrated and I wondering if I’m totally in the wrong and feeling guiltyfor questioning the coach

Well, many gyms require that you have the skills for the next level before they move you up, but I'm wondering why, after 2 years at one level, she doesn't have the skills for the next level? Could it be the kip that is holding her back? That's a hard-and-fast rule for some gyms... no kip, no level 5 (or 4, as the case may be). But in your shoes, I would be frustrated too.

My dd did 3 years of level 4. it was frustrating for me to watch. That being said she did develop great form during that third year and still has it to this day. So far she has not repeated another level and is not "old" for her level even, but right in the middle now. So repeating it a third time likely did not hurt her gymnastics "career" in the long run. Nothing wrong with talking to the coaches to find out why they feel she should repeat.

No one but her coach and, hopefully the gymnast, knows why he wants her to repeat. It could be age, maturity, form, lacking a skill, it could be that the gym has alot of great girls at that level and they don't have the room at the next level. Do you like this gym? Is it a good fit for your dd? Does it have a good track record for training other gymnasts? How many optionals do they have? I understand you are frustrated so, talk to the coach. Say you are concerned with Suzie repeating because you wonder if she will be challenged. Say what should Suzie's goals be in order to move to the next level? If you don't get a good answer take he to another gym and ask for a free trial and team eval. They may tell you where they would put her on their team. Don't however sit in the lobby freaking out , watching every practice, and bad mouth the gym and coach. Here's to good communication. Good Luck.

I don't see any reason for a kid who is scoring over a 36 to not be able to move forward. Different gyms have different rules as far as moving in to the next rule and different expectations of their athletes.

In order for your daughter to move on, she would need to be able to so all of the skills in the next level up. She would need a glide kip and a long hang kip, a cartwheel on beam, a front handspring rebound on floor, roundoff 2 back handsprings, a full turn on floor....and others depending on your gym's policy.

If your daughter doesn't have her skills for the next level and doesn't want to compete a 3rd year of level 4 (new 3), is there a reason that she can't train level 5 (new 4) until she is proficient enough to meet your gym's competition standards?

I have said it before and I will say it again (and probably take grief for it too) - old Lvl 4 (new Lvl 3) is a waste of time for an athlete with the passion to get to the higher levels. The time needs to be spent training the skills that are required for old Lvl 5 (new 4). Why? The skills in old 5 actually are on the path toward the upper levels of gymnastics; the skills in old 4 (for the most part) go nowhere. Case in point - mill circle, tick-tock, the list goes on. And then when they want a girl to do more than one year of those dead-end skills - sheesh! Gyms should allow athletes to train for level 5 (new 4) without competing the level before.

I understand your frustration. Like other posters have said, does she have the skills for the next level? Our gym won't announce levels till closer to the end of the summer since it will be/is being spent uptraining. The girls have been placed in training groups. So we know that the game plan for DD is to compete new L4, but if the kip isn't consistent (or doesn't come at all) then she will compete old L4 in the fall.

The only way to know for sure is just to ask the coach. I don't consider that questioning his decision, you have a right to know the why. If you argue his "why" then you are questioning the coach :)

DD has most of the next level skills however not the kip.. She has had a total of 4 chances to learn kip between 2 privates and twice at normal level 4 practice. I like the idea of not announcing till end of summer and having the summer to uptrain. There is no uptraining during the year when they are learning levels. Thanks for all of you feedback. Our competition season isn't until January so I'm asking for a chance for her try it know she may not score well and will definitely repeat the next level.. fingers crossed.

The fact that she has done L4 twice and yet does not work the kip is a bit of a red flag to me. Kips, and the skill parts that lead to them, should be a part of every practice at L4.

DD has most of the next level skills however not the kip.. She has had a total of 4 chances to learn kip between 2 privates and twice at normal level 4 practice. I like the idea of not announcing till end of summer and having the summer to uptrain. There is no uptraining during the year when they are learning levels. Thanks for all of you feedback. Our competition season isn't until January so I'm asking for a chance for her try it know she may not score well and will definitely repeat the next level.. fingers crossed.

HOLD THE PHONE...2 years at level 4 and not working kips? Wuzzzup with that? I would be asking the coach why she hasn't been working kips/kip drills. There may well be a good reason to hold your DD at level 4 again but I can't imagine what it is and I would ask for a straight up answer from the coach if I were in your position.

Wow...I'm shocked that a kid able to get a 36 AA at old L4 can't get her kip, especially after 2 years in L4...unless she scratched on bars her entire first year at L4 and didn't have any L4 bar skills *at all* until the second year, it sounds to me that your gym is pretty bad at teaching kips ;) - especially if she is doing privates - gosh! Does their L4 team seem like a big bottleneck w/ lots of girls repeating because they don't have their kip? Maybe it's a cash cow for the gym and they like to keep people in it is long as possible (jk, but not really ;().

Gosh, if it were my DD I'd actually be tempted to look at a new gym who has a reputation for good bar workers ASAP just so she has a better chance of getting her kip over the summer. More of the same may just not be cutting it, and once school starts it will be even harder to find a gym willing to train/take a kip-less gymnast for the new L4, and she'll be stuck at L3 for another year.

Good luck to you - I understand what you must be going through...the kip is such a gateway skill. My DD is not a natural at bars, and she was able to get hers in less than a year. Trust me, your DD will be able to get it w/ the right training.

Moving up is not about mastering the L4 skills or getting 36s as a L4. It is about whether or not she has the L5 skills yet. Our gym doesn't move up until they have all of the skills for that level (or are super close to getting the last one or two).

Moving up is not about mastering the L4 skills or getting 36s as a L4. It is about whether or not she has the L5 skills yet. Our gym doesn't move up until they have all of the skills for that level (or are super close to getting the last one or two).

OP is at a gym where they do almost no uptraining. My daughter also. They only learn the skills for the next level after they finish States for the previous level and are "moved up."

We are in the same boat on being at a gym that doesn't really uptrain during the season. That being said though, they do move people up assuming they will get the skills in the 6-8 months before the next comp season. They usually get them, but they would likely be better form if they were to do some uptraining all along.

Us too. You begin working new skills after you move to that level which is about 6 mo prior to competition. Little to no uptraining before then.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back