Parents Competition drama

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

nycgymmom

Coach
Proud Parent
I need to vent....I don't understand why the kids and parents feel that when you go to a competition they are only competing against their own team. Back story our l7 merged to make just one. The new parents are saying now their daughter has to compete against mine and are worried. I try to remind them it isn't only my kid you have other gyms their you have to go up against but they don't care. Then I hear snide remarks all season....ughhh.

It might be because at the elite level, girls are vying for the same spots on the National team... And college gymnasts vy for positions to compete for their team.
Some people are strange enough to think they have to compete amongst their own team for a position.

Well....they ARE competing against their own teammates for individual placement. In Canada we don't really have the concept of a team...it doesn't make sense since most gyms don't have more than 2-3 gymnasts in a given level/age group. Our gymnasts are competing for individual placements only. This doesn't prevent DD and her teammates from cheering very loudly for each other and rooting for each other to do well :)

To the OP - the parents are probably more worried about your DD because she's a known quantity. They don't know what other gymnasts might be like but they do know your DD is better. The snide remarks are beyond the pale, ugh. I'm sorry you have to deal with this.

Thx...the season hasn't even started and I have to deal with this.

@gymmomx2 my daughter's teammates always cheered each other on we were a family even knowing that not all of us would place individually we always worked hard to place as team so we could all feel like winners. I am hoping new group feels the same.

Remarks are ugly and useless at best. Parents should foster TEAM.

I think the internal competition comes from the idea that the girls considered best will get more or the coaches attention.

DD attends a gym where practice has groups bases on levels. But each level is only included in one group. Everyone in each group gets the same attention and corrections are made based on each girls needs.

We used to attend a gym that had favorites. DD was a favorite. That was an unfortunate situation for everyone.

Hang in and maybe try to take the high road and educate these other parents. Foster the idea of team. I tell DD of you can't win then you should hope and cheer that a teammate does.

I have always played sports and even when I was riding the bench I cheered my team so does my daughter who was out for 3 months and we still went to the meets. No one understood why. I just hate the feeling of lack of sportsmanship and team spirt despite the fact I know we are all vying for 1st AA.
I will continue to foster team thx everyone

Unfortunately sportsmanship doesn't seem to be an important ideal in this sport. My DD has always gone to extra sessions and even meets to cheer on her current/former teammates. She cheers for the girls on her level and even for the girls who have bullied her- she wants everyone to have their best time at every meet.

I was so happy when we received my DDs new team contract and it spelled out in clear language how they wanted everyone to be a good sport and a good teammate. There are rules for the kids and the parents too, and I was delighted to sign it.

Honestly, it's ridiculous. I know we were blessed at our old, small gym that the parents were all supportive of the girls at each level and were proud of all of them, even if it meant their own kid was struggling. It was about support and helping each other out through the ups and downs. We're now at a bigger, more competitive gym and I can sense that things will be a little different/more competitive. I'm just trying to steer clear. The coaches seem to be pretty good about addressing it head on and trying to prevent it but who knows if that will be enough...

Unfortunately gymnastics while it has a team category is an individual sport. The objective is to do you best and hopefully win. That includes beating the gymmies on your team.

It doesn't mean you don't support your teammates and hope they do their best as well. But the objective is to beat them.

And some parents, are not so cool about it.

I hear it a lot when age groups change, oh no now so and so is in your kids group...... or oh thank goodness she had her birthday and is out of our age group. Some even think this is a compliment.

Even the kids like it better when they are in different age groups. I think it takes pressure off them. They don't have to "beat" their own teammates.

I do the penguin thing, Smile and wave boys, smile and wave.

And I have to say as much as I get comments, I know the parents want all the kids to do well.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back