Dealing with nerves and fear?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

LucyTRA

Coach
Gymnast
Judge
I've competed 4 times since I started competing in October. The first time, I was nervous, but I wasn't really bothered about the result. I didn't expect to win anything, and I was just concerning myself with competing and landing my routines. I took 1st place and was super surprised and happy.

The next comp was an 'invitational' (a friendly competition tacked onto the end of a 2 day training camp) with kids who were AMAZING. Again, I didn't expect to win anything, but I actually came 3rd and my team came first.

Then I did a Uni comp, where I WAS bothered about winning and wanted to do well. I got so nervous and came 10th out of 15 in my category. Then last week I did an in house comp at my club where I was put in the most advanced category and came joint 3rd out of 4 (last).

I've been more nervous with each successive comp because I've put more pressure on myself, and because I've been in higher categories each time. Routines that I used to do with relative ease now look forced and sloppy, and my scores are suffering. When I came out of the last 2 comps with those scores I felt so bad....

I know exactly what I'd say if any of the kids I coach came to me and told me this stuff but I just can't take my own advice. And I've realised that although I now work 5 or 6 somersaults into a 10 move routine they actually still scare me a bit.

Any advice on dealing with the pressure would be greatly appreciated!

set skill related goals and don't worry about placement (or even really scores)... Placement is something you CANNOT control... it is all about how the numbers play out at a given competition.
Focus on your skills... make them the best that YOU can and relax a little.... maybe meditate... get some sleep... and breathe.

Thanks @raenndrops , I'd never really thought about placement like that before!

I really am more skills focused and oriented - to the point where I have the new skills I want to learn written on my fridge in magnets! - but I think maybe I should change some of those goals to be more routine focused, I can perform individual skills well and without being scared but as soon as I try and work them into a routine I get scared or don't perform as well.

Thanks @raenndrops , I'd never really thought about placement like that before!

I really am more skills focused and oriented - to the point where I have the new skills I want to learn written on my fridge in magnets! - but I think maybe I should change some of those goals to be more routine focused, I can perform individual skills well and without being scared but as soon as I try and work them into a routine I get scared or don't perform as well.

That's a good idea. my older gymmie has a lot of skills - on their own - but they don't look as good in combination (she does artistic, but the same principle as your skills not as good in comp).
Good luck with everything.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back