Parents Learning from my young gymnast

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi gymnastics moms & dads! I realize, as parents, a lot of us are on this site hoping to gain insight, knowledge, and support as we navigate this crazy sport with our kiddo(s). In the past, I've posted questions about my child's possible success, concerns that she's "average" at competitions, etc. Last month, during the home meet in her new gym, I learned a very valuable lesson as a parent... I need to GET OUT OF HER WAY! LOL.

Quick backstory, my child is 9yo and repeating level 4 JO. We changed gyms this year (not for any reason other than the fact that she is homeschooled and wanted a gym where she could train during the day). Last season, she really struggled on bars...never making it out of the 7s. Her kip was very rough and her form even worse. Fast forward to October 2023, she competed at earned an 8.2. Most of us would say "big deal." An 8.2 is hardly anything to get excited about...especially since she pulled 9s on beam and floor. Well much to my surprise, after the meet, my DD ran up to her coach with so much pride about "breaking the 7s." I was so taken back! Here I've been worried that she's not standing on the podium at each meet. Wow is all I can say. I'm disappointed in my own competitiveness, but BEYOND proud to be raising such a positive, hard-working young lady.

I don't know who needed to hear this little story tonight, but I hope it has touched someone's heart and made him or her realize that our athletes are all amazing! 1st or last, a gymnast is strong, dedicated, and deserving of celebration!

Last edited:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back