Parents Doesn’t talk and not really making friends

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Peachy88

Proud Parent
So as you know we switched gyms about two months ago. New gym is great but my 6 year old is practicing with previous level 4s who are all older. (One girl is 7) The practices are intense from start to finish without a lot of down time, and all of the girls seem focused and on the shy side. When I ask about friends my dd says she doesn’t really talk at gym. I love that she is more focused at practices, but I want to make sure it is fun too and I would imagine friendships play into that? Maybe these are friends with friendships, just different than I would see it? The girls have been super nice and welcoming to her for sure so no problems there. Other kids with quiet teams?

Has she competed yet? Around that age, my daughter's group seemed to get a lot closer as a team once they actually started competing.

Friendships are nice, but they take time to develop, especially in mixed-age groups. FWIW, I am not quite sure my daughter's best gym friend said a single word to anyone during practice the year they were 7/8. It took them two or three years, some play dates, and a trip to camp to get really close. And gymnastics can still be fun even if everyone isn't best buddies. As long as everyone is getting along and being polite, I wouldn't worry too much at this point.

Has she competed yet? Around that age, my daughter's group seemed to get a lot closer as a team once they actually started competing.

Friendships are nice, but they take time to develop, especially in mixed-age groups. FWIW, I am not quite sure my daughter's best gym friend said a single word to anyone during practice the year they were 7/8. It took them two or three years, some play dates, and a trip to camp to get really close. And gymnastics can still be fun even if everyone isn't best buddies. As long as everyone is getting along and being polite, I wouldn't worry too much at this point.

She won’t compete here until next Fall. She doesn’t seemed phased by it. At her old gym she had one good friend her age with whom she is still good friends and a bunch of older girls who doted on her and carried her around. I much prefer this to that. Seriously extremely kind girls and coaches.

It definitely takes time. It also helps for girls to have time out of gym to connect and bond. Maybe you can organize some playdates or even work with another parent to plan a social activity for all of the girls.

my dd ( 9) is very shy, it takes her a long time getting used to new people and places. its her 3 rd year with the same team... when she joined their group she was a little bit younger then the other girls and spent a year befor talking more than yes/ no. Now ....she is very focus during practices but before and after they chat A LOT. and became all very closed.... it takes time, especially if some of them are shy to!

I wouldn't worry. As long as she seems happy it sounds perfectly fine. Gymnasts tend to be focused and driven, and the friendships will develop over time.

When the birthday parties come along, they will get to know the other kids more.
Also, you may consider inviting a few girls over for a pizza party or sleepover.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back