Parents Favoritism within your gym

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have to agree. I've always said the girls are divided into the "moneymakers" and the "billpayers." The moneymakers are the ones that win the meets for the gym, so they get lots of extra time and attention from the coaches. The billpayers are just there to write tuition checks:(. My daughters have spent time in each of these groups, depending on how they were scoring that year...

Hmm.. this is certainly not the case in our gym. Nastia's L3 coach definately has her favorites, Nastia not being one of them. And even though Nastia stands on the Podium at almost every competition, headcoach has yet to congratulate her beyond a passing "good job", But there are 3-4 other girls that get hugs and extra attention in class.

It's not a big deal, but Nastia has noticed it and it bothers her to the point of mentioning it. "Why doesn't coach Stacy ever give me a hug? I came in first place!"

We like coach Stacy But, she does have her favorites. In fairness, she doesnt ignore any of the girls, but does tend to speak nicer to some more then others.

However, both our L4 coach and even the L5 coach go out of their way to tell Nastia about her good work, and noticable improvements, including an occasional hug. And they are not even her coaches yet! They seem to go out of thier way to watch her and this makes Nastia especially happy.

Last edited:
At our gym, the coaches' kid usually had it the toughest. Mom always knew what she was capable of and never let her slack. Which is good, but tough too. Outside of the gym, the coach was just mom, not coach though, and that is really good. Coach left the gymnastics in the gym, it wasn't an issue at home if it was a bad practice in the gym. It was so funny, HC used to say, I not a fun coach, but I a FUN mom. Girls never balked at staying overnight at HC's dds house. The gym was left at the gym, and it was a fun night at her house, just like any other.

Very good seperation of Coach/Mom responsibilites

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back