Parents Finally in TX..update on little gymmie

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

DbacksMom75

Proud Parent
So we finally got into Texas last week, came in through a huge ice storm! We are almost unpacked and have visited a couple gyms.
It is crazy how different gymnastics is out here. We took her to Texas Dreams but it wasn't a good fit for her, she was scared most of the time and didn't do a lot of her skills. After her evaluation they suggested she go back to recreational classes. We had tears all the way home.
I called her old coach in Arizona and asked him what he thought, he sent us to Top Flight. They had her come in with the level 4 team but had a hard time keeping up with the girls. The team coordinator was so nice, she noticed that little gymmie's skills are all over the place (example..she can cast to a handstand and do a back hip circle but has a hard time doing a chin up pullover), she did the level 4 vault, but only knew the level 3 beam routine. We go back next week for an evaluation with the preteam coach (their preteam is training level 2/3).
Little gymmie loves the giant "barn" they train in and the kids were very nice to her even though she was the littlest one in the room. At first we were upset because it seemed like a step backward but I think it will give her a chance to perfect those little things like pointed toes.
The most important thing is that she talked about it all the way home and looked forward to going back next week:)

Glad you are getting settled in in TX. Hope she finds the right fit. I think what it is sometimes is just different expectations for different levels depending on the gym. Your little one is obviously very talented and I bet when she gets in the right spot, she will just start getting skills. Already able to cast to HS is amazing! When my DD moved to L4, she didn't even have all her L4 skills. Other gyms she would have still been on pre-team and I think even though she is competing L4, she might not be put on other gym's L4 teams.

Sorry she got her feelings hurt by Texas Dreams. Not all gyms are for everyone. Good luck finding the right fit and getting settled in in TX. Keep us posted!

Glad to hear you made it down there and are settling in. Just give the gym time. Once she's comfortable with the new gym, new coaches and new friends she'll be back on track. I hope the Top Flight works out for her, and you!

Keep us posted!

It's good to hear from you, glad you survived the move. It is always a good idea to try as many gyms as you can. Hopefully you can find that perfect fit for her. From what I have heard Texas is a very strong state gymwise.

Welcome to Texas... It is such a hard core gymnastics state... when we came here 2 1/2 years ago...we repeated Level 4... because they uptrain so much here. Anyway it was the best thing to happen... DD was so much more solid and went on to to have a very good year and then winning North State at Level 5 and North State at 6. Your DD is very young, she will do great...sometimes it is best to perfect your skills before moving on..you want them to succeed and enjoy the sport. Best of luck finding the "right" gym... it does make a difference.:)

Welcome to Texas! I think we must have gotten here only a few days ahead of you! My dd tried Top Flight too, so funny we missed you by maybe a few days! I love the Team Coordinator there, she is really professional and very friendly. It ended up just not being the best fit for dd there at the present time, but I think it's an awesome gym!

Good luck w/ all of it, we are right there w/ you, w/ all the un-boxing & settling in. :) One day at a time, right?!...:eek:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back