MAG Funny Rings Story

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

skschlag

Staff member
Gold Membership
Proud Parent
D's coach came out of practice about 3 weeks ago, and just pointed at me. This is usually not a good thing, since D can get in trouble a bit at practice. I walk over and he says, "Two words....RINGS GRIPS!"

I asked him why he was saying it like that. Apparently, in practicing swings, D peeled off the rings....in his back swing! He did a front layout to his back on the mat from his back swing. Fortunately, the coach was there to help flip him over.

He said he had never seen anyone peel out of the backswing. Front swing...sure. But back swing??? LOL!

Needless to say, we now have rings grips.

Well, then, he won't have any trouble with that front layout now, will he? LOL! The things these guys get themselves into . . .

Peeling during a backswing, or during any swing skill, is a sign that his swing is either really developing......or needs to have some incorrect technique issues addressed. Grips will help in either case, but if the swing technique is producing a sudden jerk that takes him off it needs to be fixed, or he'll start having shoulder and back problems.

I'm guessing his coach knows this already, but if your ds comes home complaining of tightness between or just below his shoulder blades, or an ache in his low back..........

he was swinging with a serious overgrip...so as his swing got bigger, he wasn't able to hold on anymore and peeled. So far, it has been corrected with the grips. He has always tended to muscle his way through all activities, so learning the correct method is very important for him.

Thanks for the tips though! Always good to know what to look for.

It can definitely be an issue on Rings moreso than HighBar. Rings tap swing has more force produced on HB.

What level is he? Getting used to the grips for the MU in L5 is a pain but it depends on how much swing they are starting to create. Not a problem in L6 since you don't have to muck around with the false grip into MU for bonus. I know of a lot of coaches that don't push ring grips till L6 because of this.

He is a 6/7. Training 7, but most likely competing 6 at least at hte beginning of the season. It was nice to see him finally get a tap swing on rings since he has been muscling through for so long!!! LOL!

Most guys are wearing grips by the time they are working dislocates which used to be L6 though is now L7. I wouldn't want to do a bail without them though.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back