Gymnasts xcel platinum

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

hi! so i competed gold for 2 years in a row-i was trying to do platinum last year but i got so overwhelmed with the jump that i psyched myself out and could never do half the skills. here is what i’m doing all the time in practice now, do you think i’ll be able to do platinum this year?

Vault:
I’ve been flipping tsuks all summer and can land on a mat in the pit with a little spot. I can do a half on half off pretty easy though.

Bars:
kip cast (almost above horizontal) back hip circle, toe circle, kip castaway flyaway

I have been getting spots for my cast handstands, I haven’t really grasped the concept of the clear hip yet but i can do the bounce t trainer drills for it pretty good now.

Beam:
cartwheel swing through cartwheels, full turns, back tuck dismount, front tuck dismount, front pike dismount, handstand forward roll, straight jump wolf jump, straight jump split jump, cartwheel back tuck dismount

Floor: this is where i really psyched myself out last year

i can do my front pike on floor pretty consistently, i’ve been doing front layouts off the rod floor into the pit, and i’ve tried front tuck front tucks onto a mat onto the floor (second front tuck was just really low)

for the longest time i’ve had a really short back handspring, but i’ve recently been stretching it out and my round off backhand spring looks way cleaner than before. so i have been doing round off back tucks into the pit onto a mat off the rod floor. i have been doing the round off back handspring to candle stick on the floor VERY consistently now (before i would land too far everytime because i would change my backhand spring) And just wednesday at practice i finally did a round off back handspring back tuck off the rod floor into the pit because i was feeling confident.

so-with all these skills in mind, could i make the jump to platinum this year-honest opinion. i’m just doing gymnastics for fun but i really want to move up for the fun of it :)

Tsuks are not allowed in platinum.
1/2 on 1/2 off has a 9.9 SV. To get to a 10, it would have to be a 1/2 on full off or a handspring full off.

On bars, you need a B skill. Most people do a clearhip.

Beam, you have options because you don't need all of those skills. I would work a different series or not do the cartwheel into your dismount, or just do a front tuck instead. You can't count three cartwheels so if you did cartwheel - cartwheel as your series, your cartwheel into your back tuck is just there for deductions.

Your coach should know the best options for you for your tumbling passes. You need one pass that has at least one flight connected to a salto or you could do the two front tucks and then a second pass with either a minimum of two flight elements OR and isolated B salto.

It sounds like floor isn't quite there yet, and you do not have full SV on vault or bats either, so it depends on your gym's policies.

1/2 on 1/2 off has a 9.9 SV. To get to a 10, it would have to be a 1/2 on full off or a handspring full off.

Beam, you have options because you don't need all of those skills. I would work a different series or not do the cartwheel into your dismount, or just do a front tuck instead. You can't count three cartwheels so if you did cartwheel - cartwheel as your series, your cartwheel into your back tuck is just there for deductions.

Your coach should know the best options for you for your tumbling passes. You need one pass that has at least one flight connected to a salto or you could do the two front tucks and then a second pass with either a minimum of two flight elements OR and isolated B salto.

It sounds like floor isn't quite there yet, and you do not have full SV on vault or bats either, so it depends on your gym's policies.
what are some other b skills on bars?

okay so! i got my round off back tuck on the floor today! i also am almost 180° on my switch leap, can i do a tuck jump after it or does it have to be different? i have also been doing clear hips on the bar with a light spot and i can do it however i have to get my casts higher but my coach thinks i can do it. can i do a kip cast, clear hip, kip cast, toe circle, jump to high bar, kip cast tucked flyaway for my bar routine? (if my casts are above horizontal?) i also got my round off on a stacked beam so my coach is wanting me to put that in my routine, would that work?

okay so! i got my round off back tuck on the floor today! i also am almost 180° on my switch leap, can i do a tuck jump after it or does it have to be different? i have also been doing clear hips on the bar with a light spot and i can do it however i have to get my casts higher but my coach thinks i can do it. can i do a kip cast, clear hip, kip cast, toe circle, jump to high bar, kip cast tucked flyaway for my bar routine? (if my casts are above horizontal?) i also got my round off on a stacked beam so my coach is wanting me to put that in my routine, would that work?
Congrats on the round off tuck!
Yes you can do a tuck jump
That bar routine sounds good as well - most of our platinums competed something very similar (most did squat on instead of toe circle). Apart from casts, clear hip also needs to end above horizontal I think.
And yes a round off is a valid flight skill in platinum!

Congrats on the round off tuck!
Yes you can do a tuck jump
That bar routine sounds good as well - most of our platinums competed something very similar (most did squat on instead of toe circle). Apart from casts, clear hip also needs to end above horizontal I think.
And yes a round off is a valid flight skill in platinum!
cool! my coach said i’m missing elements on floor though. this is what i have

-front pike
-round off tuck
-switch leap to tuck jump
-full turn

she said i might have to do a round off backhand spring tuck. how have other platinums only done round off tucks and stil meet all requirements??

-front pike
-round off tuck
-full turn

she said i might have to do a round off backhand spring tuck. how have other platinums only done round off tucks and stil meet all requirements??
You don't have enough As. Some of our kids who do round off back tuck do a random split jump or cartwheel somewhere

-front pike
-round off tuck
-full turn

Well it sounds like you're missing the number of skills required. You need a minimum of 7 skills total (6A and 1B). You don't *need* to add a back handspring if you don't want but thats one option that fulfills the one additional element. Since your coach wants you too, its probably because you'll need it for higher levels. But you can always just integrate a simple skill like cartwheel into choreography (you have enough B's) to count for the additional element

Well it sounds like you're missing the number of skills required. You need a minimum of 7 skills total (6A and 1B). You don't *need* to add a back handspring if you don't want but thats one option that fulfills the one additional element. Since your coach wants you too, its probably because you'll need it for higher levels. But you can always just integrate a simple skill like cartwheel into choreography (you have enough B's) to count for the additional element
ok thanks! and she thinks i might be missing skills for my beam routine too? this is what i have:

-mount
-split jump wolf jump
-full turn
-cartwheel swing through cartwheel OR round off if i get in on high beam in time
-front pike dismount

she said she thinks that my cartwheel series is fine but if i put my roundoff in i have to add a skill?

ok thanks! and she thinks i might be missing skills for my beam routine too? this is what i have:

-mount
-split jump wolf jump
-full turn
-cartwheel swing through cartwheel OR round off if i get in on high beam in time
-front pike dismount

she said she thinks that my cartwheel series is fine but if i put my roundoff in i have to add a skill?
Yep missing an A skill again. I think you mentioned you have a cartwheel back tuck so you can maybe do that dismount. But you need another A, maybe add a straight jump to your jump series or a split leap?

Yep missing an A skill again. I think you mentioned you have a cartwheel back tuck so you can maybe do that dismount. But you need another A, maybe add a straight jump to your jump series or a split leap?
do i have to add anything if i end up doing the cartwheel series? and could i just do a handstand?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back