Gabby Douglas Hate - (Hopefully) An End

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Agreed , she didn't fail, she was beaten. To quote the meerkat, Simples ! Mustafina, on the day was better. That doesn't mean she didn't try, she wasn't any good, she failed. There will always be someone who comes along and is better, that's life.

its a polite word for someone who does a silly thing.

Despite our perceived irreverence a lot of us was brung up proper ;) and are polite whilst gently chastising. Numpty is word I use with my family. "Oh Pink, you fell over your own feet, you numpty!"

One up from Numpty is Twonk, "that friend of yours is a complete Twonk when his is drunk, maybe you need another friend", still polite but more forceful, then we have a whole other dictionary that, whilst it will make the spam filter here, is not to used on an open forum :p
Having lived overseas for some of my life, I at least know the ones that shouldn't be on the open forum...;)

Just want to point out, there's another Olympian who famoulsy showed a lack of enthusiasm during award ceremonies:
McKayla-Maroney-Not-Impressed.jpg

..... and yet the public's reaction was very different then.

Nope. I am not assuming what she is thinking or feeling. Just recognize a lot of the qualities you see in someone who is more introverted.

Huh????? You said "I guess I see someone who is a bit more introverted than the others and sympathize. " We are both seeing the same behavior and making different assumptions about the cause. If you do not see that I can't help you.

Just want to point out, there's another Olympian who famoulsy showed a lack of enthusiasm during award ceremonies:
McKayla-Maroney-Not-Impressed.jpg

..... and yet the public's reaction was very different then.

McKayla did not have a history of behavior that people had reacted negatively to. Plus she had the charm and personality to turn this into a huge positive for her. She did not just cry and accuse people of "bullying." Thats the difference.

McKayla did not have a history of behavior that people had reacted negatively to.

What history are you referring to?

Plus she had the charm and personality to turn this into a huge positive for her.

She didn't have to "turn this into" a huge positive: everybody thought it was adorable right from the get-go.

She did not just cry and accuse people of "bullying."

Probably because she wasn't bullied for it.

Yeah, but look at the crap even McKayla's gotten over the past few years. When I look at gymnastics stories on the internet, there's always a clickbaity link below saying something along the lines of "You won't BELIEVE what she looks like NOW!!!"

It is a damn shame that our very fine, hardworking, awesome female athletes have to deal with this kind of bull. They are constantly scrutinized and criticized for things that have nothing to do with their athletic abilities or contributions to their teams. I personally am thoroughly tired of it. Whatever you may think of Gabby's family, her behavior during podium ceremonies, or her level of enthusiasm when caught on camera unawares, she worked her tail off and got herself back to being second best in the world among competitors last year and in the top three AA competitors in the world this year. Both of her bars scores counted in the US team's victory. If you respect her for nothing else, give her credit and respect for that.

But she owed it to her team, her sponsors and to Marta Karolyi to behave in a professional and sportsmanlike way. And she failed there. hats an attitude problem. She also failed to come through for them in EFs. That may have been due to less than outstanding training.

What about her attitude at the Olympics was unsportsmanlike? Is she not allowed to show any sort of emotion besides excitement? Is she not allowed to show a little disappointment? I never even saw her cry. She never called Mustafina a "coward", as another US Olympic athlete did. I really don't see how she's unsportsmanlike. She clapped for her teammates, and even hugged them on the floor. She smiled after her performances, even if they weren't the highest scoring. And I thought she was very respectful towards her coach. After every routine she did, her eyes went directly to him for his feedback.

Also, she did not FAIL at event finals. She made them. That in it of itself, is a win. She may have not had her best performance of the day...but that is the beauty of gymnastics! I always tell my kids at meets that when someone beats you, it does not mean that they are a better gymnast than you. It just means that on that particular day, in that venue, with those particular judges, they outscored you. It means nothing else.

Let me also leave you with a line from the Olympic Creed, which you must have forgotten:

"The most important thing in the Olympic Games is not to win but to take part, just as the most important thing in life is not the triumph but the struggle. The essential thing is not to have conquered but to have fought well."

I give Gabby credit for her gymnastics, but it's an athletes character and sportsmanship that matter to Me personally. That to me is what turns the tables on my like or dislike of people in general, but more so athletes because they are role models. I judge people's character on how their actions, behaviors, etc. line up with my own standards of morals, values, etc. It's really as simple as that to me.

This uniquely American thing of only celebrating our medal winners is not what we tell our kiddos, but we are showing it to them now.

THIS. It makes me so sad. The amount of times I've heard, "Gabby really screwed up in event finals...this shows she shouldn't have gone", is terrible. Are we teaching our kids that the value of their gymnastics is based solely on if they medal? That because Gabby messed up, she let everyone down? Absolutely not.

Gymnasts fall. They mess up. No amount of training can completely prevent it, especially at that level. Look at Simone Biles on beam yesterday. I bet she could do a punch front in her sleep. It happens. And instead of teaching our kids that because Gabby screwed up, she shouldn't have even gone... let's teach them that yes, even the professionals mess up and fall off, and that's okay. Instead let's focus on the fact that even after she messed up, and after Simone fell, they both got back up and finished their routine beautifully. They got back up, and that's what is important here.

But she owed it to her team, her sponsors and to Marta Karolyi to behave in a professional and sportsmanlike way. And she failed there. hats an attitude problem. She also failed to come through for them in EFs. That may have been due to less than outstanding training. Or just the pressure she felt. who knows.

She did not fail, she just did not score as high.

While she might not have behaved the way you liked.

She has been shown good sportsmanship and behaved professionally. In spite of all pressure, in all likelihood due the criticism shown her. I think considering all the crud thrown her way she has handled herself admirably.

From some tweets regarding the Olympics.

This first one especially made me think of this thread

"gymnast does a triple-double ultra-spin backflip-frontflip but takes a tiny step when she lands*
ME: [mouthful of Pringles] what a loser"

"I just said some pretty harsh things about this gymnast falling off the uneven bars considering I've fallen out of my bed before."

"*watching Olympic gymnastics*

Me: "that was incredible!"

Announcer: "yet another fatal mistake for this Olympian""

http://twentytwowords.com/more-hila...source=facebook&utm_medium=22&utm_campaign=22

I give Gabby credit for her gymnastics, but it's an athletes character and sportsmanship that matter to Me personally. That to me is what turns the tables on my like or dislike of people in general, but more so athletes because they are role models. I judge people's character on how their actions, behaviors, etc. line up with my own standards of morals, values, etc. It's really as simple as that to me.

Yes, I would agree with this. Gabby is clearly a very good AAer. No reasonable person would even try to deny that. But we have two examples -- in Simone and Aly -- of young women who are , in one case great (Simone) and in the other case very good (Aly) gymnasts, AAers and stand outs on individual events (everything but UBs for Simone and FX for Aly) who are also outstanding role models. Why anyone would cling to Gabby, who at best, is not a good role model, is beyond me. But . . . . .each to their own.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back