Off Topic Gabby is NOT a liar

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

What I don't understand is all the talk about Gabby's hair. Watching the Olympics, I can't say I noticed anything unusual about her hair style. What was supposedly wrong about her hair??

What I don't understand is all the talk about Gabby's hair. Watching the Olympics, I can't say I noticed anything unusual about her hair style. What was supposedly wrong about her hair??

I didn't understand that when it came up either!?! She just had it pulled back like most gymnasts do. I don't know what people expected? It wasn't the prom, it was the Olympics!

I *think*, but don't quote me on this, it was because she had a pony tail like the rest of her team mates, rather than a style more specifically for afro hair.

I *think*, but don't quote me on this, it was because she had a pony tail like the rest of her team mates, rather than a style more specifically for afro hair.

​I think that has got to be one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. If she had done something funky with her hair, people probably would have complained about that too. I thought she looked just fine. People are so strange sometimes....

Well the hair thing was complicated because there are already a lot of layers in this controversial subject in itself. Some people thought she should have a different hairstyle and was copying a hairstyle that didn't work for her hair, others were criticizing the ponytail because her hair wasn't full straightened/relaxed (i.e. you could see the curls growing in at roots around the edge of her hairline) which they thought was not good - various reasons for this, again this is like an established controversial thing in the world of African American hair textures and women's hairstyles. But of course relaxed hair is a controversy in and of itself so that grew the discussion more. I don't think G's hair was relaxed, probably just heat straightened or maybe she'd relaxed it awhile before.

Of course in reality her hair was fine and she does not have that many options. Right now I see it looks like she relaxed it (professionally) and possibly even got extensions, but it's hard to tell because she usually wore her ponytail tucked under so maybe it was that long. I am just speculating.

I think she looked beautiful.

I really appreciated this explanation because I NEVER knew what it was all about. She just looked like all the girls at our gym did, a pretty teenager with their hair pulled up. Had no clue what the big deal was...

Well the hair thing was complicated because there are already a lot of layers in this controversial subject in itself. Some people thought she should have a different hairstyle and was copying a hairstyle that didn't work for her hair, others were criticizing the ponytail because her hair wasn't full straightened/relaxed (i.e. you could see the curls growing in at roots around the edge of her hairline) which they thought was not good - various reasons for this, again this is like an established controversial thing in the world of African American hair textures and women's hairstyles. But of course relaxed hair is a controversy in and of itself so that grew the discussion more. I don't think G's hair was relaxed, probably just heat straightened or maybe she'd relaxed it awhile before.

Of course in reality her hair was fine and she does not have that many options. Right now I see it looks like she relaxed it (professionally) and possibly even got extensions, but it's hard to tell because she usually wore her ponytail tucked under so maybe it was that long. I am just speculating.

I think she looked beautiful.

if only you guys knew the truth...regretfully, i can't discuss it. suffice, a certain athlete would have done/said nothing without the prodding of a certain mother and agent. a certain athlete was used and exploited by these adults. that's all.

if only you guys knew the truth...regretfully, i can't discuss it. suffice, a certain athlete would have done/said nothing without the prodding of a certain mother and agent. a certain athlete was used and exploited by these adults. that's all.

^^^^^^That was the vibe I got throughout the Olympics and after. This certain athlete spoke often like she had been sent to the "professional athlete school of interview cliches". Makes me sad.

That was exactly how I felt watching it. I hope Gabby gets some good people on her side so she can shine.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back