MAG Held back for behaviour?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

onebrokegymmum

Coach
Proud Parent
Just got to have a little vent/ need advice..... DS just turned 7 and is repeating level 1 for the third year in a row. The first year he was too young to compete, the second we chose not to as we were living interstate temporarily and chose not to invest in the expense of tracksuits/ competition wear. We have been at the current club a year and a half now. On joining my son was assessed at level 2, but we were then told this year he would be doing level 1. The club does no uptraining at all, and works on routines over and over, and this is DS third year of doing the same basic routine. He is bored mindless, which I feel is contributing to his behaviour at gym ( he rushes through sloppy routines and is generally fidgety). His first competition he placed 3rd in his age and 9th overall and has all the skills for the next level. I spoke to his coach, who refused to let him change levels and stated he would only allow him to uptrain new skills if his behaviour improves. The only other club offering mens gymnastics nearby would not accept DS at all as he is too tall for his age and has hyperextended elbows (yes too tall in level one....). I am really at a loss as I dont think DS will stick at the sport much longer when he is so bored, and Im tired of wasting money with no progress..... What I dont get is that his behaviour is not going to be any worse by moving him up a level, and his group would not change. (We are in Australia) What would you do/ advise????

His behaviour will not improve if he is bored. Sounds like he needs a bit more fun in training after all he is only 7 isn't he. Is Acro a possibility anywhere near you - or tumble. His height might not be an issue there. It does seem a shame.

Maybe a second sport to burn off his 'itchies' could help him focus more at gym until they will move him up?

I don't know much about the Australian system, but it sounds like he could be moved up. Does he understand what behavior the coach wants to see improved? Has the coach indicated these issues specifically?

I really don't like boys being held back for behavior, but I have seen it happen in our own gym. their ability to focus can become a safety hazard, although I am not sure that is what is happening with your ds. Have you had a chance to sit down with the coach and talk, or just talk after practice? maybe a sit-down would be good.

I'd definitely try to schedule a sit down with the coach. It would be useful to know what the offending behavior is and what he needs to do to demonstrate that he's ready to move on.

I have spoken to the coach a couple of times after class, he has basically said they will not change his level mid season regardless of scores or ability.The coach says he has to do level 1 because he didn't compete it last year, however as he was initially assessed at level 2, I can see this is not the whole truth. Having watched a few lessons I can see that he is rushing through his routines doing everything sloppy then laying around on the floor or chatting, however when the coach is paying him direct attention he will do them nicely and make corrections. I feel that the boredom and lack of a challenge or doing anything new is compounding things, as he is very interested in doing new skills and tried a lot harder at his previous gym, where all the boys were similar in age and there was a much smaller group. This gym has a long history of holding kids back, and my DD is also repeating level 4 there, despite scoring 52s last year. Trying acro and tumbling sounds good, not sure what other sports can make use of a kid who is very strong and ridiculously flexible! He has tried the usual sports such as soccer and athletics but wouldnt join in at athletics after several attempts and did not enjoy the others. He enjoyed ice hockey but couldnt skate.Guess he has grown up watching his sisters doing gym and wanting to join in......

His flexibility would be a real bonus for a mens top in acro. If you get really stuck it might be worth trying. Maybe give this season a go at level 1. After all if he hasn't competed it yet maybe he would find it more interesting once the competitions have started

He competed last weekend, and got excellent scores - but he still found the competition boring. The scores were meaningless to him, as he got a ribbon, the same as everyone else!

Your story is all too familiar. We were fortunate enough to be able to switch to a gym whose coaching style is better suited for DS, as not all handle the same kid the same way. It makes a difference. Good luck.

Oh gosh three years at level 1 - he must be bored senseless. I'm in Australia, and kids can absolutely skip levels, both of my gymnasts have, but I do see some gyms that do not allow it.
I would try and schedule a meeting with the coach and get some information on the specific things that he needs to improve on, eg does he need to stand still in line, listen and respond to instructions better, better work ethic, tighter routines, not goof off as much. I think telling a 7 yr old his behaviour just needs to improve is far too general for a child that age to comprehend.

Having said all that I don't think gymnastics is the sport for every kid. The focus is on repetition of skills and striving to perfect those skills, they will do routines over and over and over again in practice - and then go to several competitions and do the same routines again. Suits some kids, doesn't suit others who enjoy sports and activities where every competition and training session is different. Even kids with terrific natural ability, flexibility, strength and form may still find the repetition of gymnastics can drive them batty.

Acro, trampolining, tumbling or circus may be a better fit for your child, or may enable you to find a gym or coach with a coaching style that better suits your child. As for other sports for a strong, flexible and tall child - karate or other martial art maybe, diving, flexible kids make great swimmers, maybe even dance?

The gymnastics is repetitive argument is a good one until you realize that there is a whole lot of nothing in level one. Repeating nothing for three years is boring. Even when a child is not capable of moving on, you still dangle the carrot and provide drills and progressions of higher level skills, or step sideways and teach them something outside of the box/rules.

Acro, trampolining, tumbling or circus may be a better fit for your child, or may enable you to find a gym or coach with a coaching style that better suits your child. As for other sports for a strong, flexible and tall child - karate or other martial art maybe, diving, flexible kids make great swimmers, maybe even dance?

I was going to say Ballet, although it can be repetitive also. Get him to google Steven Mcrae, an Aussie dancer who is now principal with the Royal Ballet.

How many hours a week does he do? If he's just 7 I'd have him in a few complementary sports rather than spending many hours on Level 1 gymnastics. MOTG just about covered it I think- All of the above will train his strength and flexibility, so in a couple of years or more he can pick without losing any ground in the mean time.

My DD does ballet. The strength and flexibility from gymnastics area huge asset. At her school there are couple of young boys that are part of the Australian Ballet's interstate program. There are even boys only summer schools around the place. And he'll still get to watch girls in leotards! (Although I guess he's a bit young for that) :)

Something similar happened to my DD. Our first gym had her at level one due to maturity/silliness and form issues. She was bored out of her mind. When we heard that they were going to hold some of the kids back at level one with my child possibly being one of them, we left that gym and tried a new one. DD is not bored anymore and is doing much better. I can't imagine doing level one for three years!

Has he said he wants to quit? Do you trust the coaches and do they generallyhave higher levels?

I think you'd have to ask Australian coaches. Try pumping Aussie Coach. American levels are different so I can't say I can't imagine it. We don't even have level 1 MAG in America, posters from America are talking about WAG.

Oops. Yes, I know I was assuming level one was similar to level one in women's in the us. Very basic.

He was talking about wanting to uit and never wants to go to training. We have been on holidays now for a few weeks (in Sweden), where DS has been training with the local boys - in a smaller group doing a whole lot more uptraining he has been going really well.... loving it and behaving a whole lot better, although it may help that most of the other boys dont speak the same language.... He doesnt have form issues and concentrates really well while doing the skills. His gym at home doesnt have higher levels and is pretty recreational in nature but mens programs arent too popular!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back