Here is what Gymnastics Ontario has released

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mixed feelings. Wish it would have been released earlier to allow the lower level athletes more time to learn these skills they have never trained. Don't think the higher level will be as affected.

Oh eek they have the dreaded mill circle. The whole thing looks like the USAG skills in a more optional format than they have. Needing kips much earlier will stall some kids in L3 this year though as that skill is now needed by L4 and allowed at L3.

Though L4 can have a back tuck, that is not so in USAG. L8 still has no round off entry vaults. Going to be very interesting to see how the coaches manage their kids this summer.

Bogwoppit, I know you are in Quebec and have a good knowledge of the Canadian provincial program. In your opinion, does this take Ontario closer to, or even further from the rest of Canada?

I am glad dd is in the CPN program for now, but the following year, if she isn't ready for Novice, she will be into this system.

Did you find anywhere that the 7-8 year olds will actually have awards and not just the certificates and seals?

And the scoring back to 10 bugs me too. I felt we were closer to FIG which I think was better. But who am I to say?:p

7-8 year olds will still do stickers. One thing I did notice is you must be 9 for Level 5. Maybe that is only for provincials but not sure??

I do not think it brings Ontario closer to the CPP. If anything it lines it up further with the USA. Though recently in Quebec we did bring the kip in as an earlier requirement. Now it is seen at P2 which is about L4/5 in the new Ontario program.

I am glad dd is in the CPN program for now, but the following year, if she isn't ready for Novice, she will be into this system.

funny, I just texted a friend to say that I am so happy DD got put into CPN for the fall. Very well understood program, know the requirements, etc.

It does seem to me that once you get to L7/8, it is very similar to what there is now. But I do feel for one of DD's little friends who hasn't got her kip for 18 months, but could move L6 (old) otherwise, will now be limited to L3!!!

Does this mean Ontario will abolish the pre-novice program and everyone will come through this way to the national level?

Looking at the levels 1-4 on floor, this is going to seriously hurt the Invitational program. Lots of these girls can't do full splits. It's not like the JO program that these levels are leading to the optional levels. These girls will stay and compete at the lower levels for years and be fine with it... the way it WAS. I foresee problems. :(

Does this mean Ontario will abolish the pre-novice program and everyone will come through this way to the national level?

No, the CPN and National programs will stay the same. This is the reason the new program stays at 1-9, because level 10 in the US is the same as our National Open category.

Looking at the levels 1-4 on floor, this is going to seriously hurt the Invitational program. Lots of these girls can't do full splits. It's not like the JO program that these levels are leading to the optional levels. These girls will stay and compete at the lower levels for years and be fine with it... the way it WAS. I foresee problems. :(
I completely agree, lots of girls will quit as they will get stuck in the very low levels. Here is Quebec we have a system that runs from about L1 to L5 called circuit regional. Girls train 9 hours a week and they get a bonus based optional system. This allows all kinds of gymnasts to remain in the gym, compete and get to a provincial comp too. Ontario really lacks a system for those kinds of gymnasts. Both my girls did provincial gym but went to the circuit regional in their teens when injuries and school needed more time.

I completely agree, lots of girls will quit as they will get stuck in the very low levels. Here is Quebec we have a system that runs from about L1 to L5 called circuit regional. Girls train 9 hours a week and they get a bonus based optional system. This allows all kinds of gymnasts to remain in the gym, compete and get to a provincial comp too. Ontario really lacks a system for those kinds of gymnasts. Both my girls did provincial gym but went to the circuit regional in their teens when injuries and school needed more time.

Ontario DID have a similar program, the Invitational stream (formerly called Interclub). While there is no provincial championship for these levels (1-4/5), girls train 9-12 hours a week and compete in friendly invitational competitions. I think this is the biggest area that GO has missed the mark on this.

In the US, 4 or 5 year olds start in the level 2-3 range and work their way through the levels, whereas here, the lower levels ARE where many 9-15 year old gymnasts will stay. It is not a stepping stone to Provincial levels. For that, we have the ODP program, and yes, some pre-comps will use these levels to progress to provincial/National levels.

I am sad to say I think that GO has overlooked these gymnasts.

And can I say I also think it's a step backward to go to the 10.0 scoring? :(

Ick on using the 10. I think OG is all about being like the US, this will not be a benefit for Provincial gymnasts within Canada. OGF really needs to beef up the interclub, we have three qualifiers and a huge championships for our program and it is booming and also encompasses T&T at the same meets. Here girls do not compete until 9 either, I think they could lower that to 6 quite easily.

Our club has a big group of OCP 2-4 ages 7 to 16. It is the biggest group in the club. I do feel bad for them. Most of them are at the current 4/5 level, and are happy to stay there competing. Sad for them I think.

Bog the system in Quebec sounds perfect, I'm very jealous! I'm really not a fan of the new levels either. At my gym there are a lot of girls in the current Level 4/5, who will end up competing new Level 3 because they have never trained some of these random skills (random because we've never had to train them before) being thrown into the routines. I was really hoping to compete in Masters next spring, but now I don't think I can because I'm missing all sorts of things, like a back extension roll on floor, and can't do walkovers on the beam due to my back, even though I have other skills like back layout on floor :(. I'm afraid my gym is going to lose a lot of girls who are in that 12-15 age range, enjoying their current level and uptraining, but will get bumped down many levels due to the new system.

I didn't realize we are going back to the 10 point scoring system. What on earth is the point of that???

I have been following this post and another thing that jumps out to me is that in a country with considerably low number of gymnasts compare to the US for example it seems like we don't have a nationwide consistent program.

I am not sure if I am correct, but I think BC, Quebec and now Ontario all have their "own" systems. Why does Canadian Gymnastics not have one system that all the provinces follow?

In the US does every state actually have their "own" system in place?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back